Kalkhoff back light not working

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
I have a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 10, with front hub dynamo and automatic lights, and on my ride home this evening I discovered the rear light wasn't working. I'm sure it was the last time I rode in the evening - which was a few months ago. There aren't any switches on the back light. Has anyone else had a problem with similar lights?

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Maybe it's the connection/cabling between the rear light and the front hub dynamo, or the light got some water.

I would try to connect a battery (not sure about voltage, check the Shimano dynamo specification) directly to the rear light first to check if it works.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 10, with front hub dynamo and automatic lights, and on my ride home this evening I discovered the rear light wasn't working. I'm sure it was the last time I rode in the evening - which was a few months ago. There aren't any switches on the back light. Has anyone else had a problem with similar lights?
Some of the German back lights have a tiny isolation switch which can be very hard to see when the light is bolted in place.

I've turned mine off by accident a couple of times with my cleaning rag.

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Maybe it's the connection/cabling between the rear light and the front hub dynamo, or the light got some water.

I would try to connect a battery (not sure about voltage, check the Shimano dynamo specification) directly to the rear light first to check if it works.
I'll take a look...

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Some of the German back lights have a tiny isolation switch which can be very hard to see when the light is bolted in place.

I've turned mine off by accident a couple of times with my cleaning rag.
Oh...thanks I'll see if I can see one somewhere; I guess it'll be on the light unit somewhere..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh...thanks I'll see if I can see one somewhere; I guess it'll be on the light unit somewhere..
It's on the bottom edge of the light and really is small - it hardly looks like a switch.

The light may also have a slightly bigger red button which is to 'dump' the charge in the capacitor which keeps the light on for a minute or two at rest.

Why would you want these features?

It's mostly due to strict regulations about not showing a red light in a railway station.

When you push the bike onto the platform, you can quickly push the red button to kill the light.

The switch is more to do with an occasional application on a touring bike.

In certain circumstances you might want to ride with just a front light so you can divert a bit more of the limited dyno power to charging a gadget.

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Ok, it's working again. I took off the rear light and removed the connector. It's a Busch & Muller Toplight Flat Plus http://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Anleitungen/329d.pdf
The connector isn't ideal, in that it simply squashes the two wires against the two connectors. One of the connections didn't look that brilliant to me, so I remade both and replaced it and it now works fine.