Kalkhoff Battery not charging

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
I'm not sure which one I mean!! Our meter has a resistance setting which makes an audible noise if there is no break in a wire. It is labelled as 200 ohms. That is what we used to test c139, when we put the probes at each end it did not make a noise. There is no reading on the meter at any ohms setting on the meter.

Incidentally I am checking this without the battery on charge - is that correct? Sorry I can't be clearer but I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about ;-) Thank you for your incredible patience!!

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
And sorry but my right and your right might be different, are you referring to the red lead closer to the edge of the board, which looks slightly thinner and more worn as the input wire , or is it the red wire closer to the middle of the board closer to the two black components
The red wire closer to the middle of the board is the input wire, we don't know what the thin red wire does. When the battery is on charge is shows the same voltage as the other two red wires.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Sorry to crash the party.

Do not touch any of the solder joints they are fine.

The 139 'C device (F401) is a thermal fuse across the MOSFET power transistors, if they get too hot it cuts out and does not reset.

If you want to try something solder a bit of wire across the 139 c fuse and see if it charges.

It might.

• Informative
Reactions: Tintaglia

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm not sure which one I mean!! Our meter has a resistance setting which makes an audible noise if there is no break in a wire. It is labelled as 200 ohms. That is what we used to test c139, when we put the probes at each end it did not make a noise. There is no reading on the meter at any ohms setting on the meter.

Incidentally I am checking this without the battery on charge - is that correct? Sorry I can't be clearer but I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about ;-) Thank you for your incredible patience!!
Good, I suspect now that your problem is that that the 129 c component has failed open circuit . The following is an educated guess
. There is a white material under it an onto the black semiconductors rectangles below. I suspect that this is or was heat conducting compound. That component was a thermal fuse used to protect the battery and user if things got too hot. .
Ideally the component should be replaced with an identical one, alternative would be to get some fuse wire. .. used in very old fashioned fuses. Look again at the battery charger and see what DC current it is supposed to give , and get the same value fuse wire and wrap it over both ends of the component. You will find it difficult to solder as fuse wire melts at a low temperature.

... Ok I am now finished.

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall

The 139 'C device (F401) is a thermal fuse across the MOSFET power transistors, if they get too hot it cuts out and does not reset.

If you want to try something solder a bit of wire across the 139 c fuse and see if it charges.

It might.
No, please, welcome to the party, the more the merrier :) Where would we need to solder? Can we just bridge it to test it?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

It might.
... Great minds ....And all that

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Tintaglia

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Two crocodile clips and a bit of wire for testing ??!!

Across the 139 'C device just be careful as a mistake now would put you off tinkering for good, maybe ?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

As soon as I saw the fuse. I was sure that we had found the problem. It's not really necessary. I've never seen one on a BMS used like that before, so just solder a 10 amp fuse across it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tintaglia