Kalkhoff battery problem

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I bought a brand new kalkhoff agattu impulse 2, 8 gear, step through from ebay.

The person who i bought it off, regularly sells kalkhoff, ktm etc, all new, these are said to have very small scratches, mine had two about 2mm, and took some finding, and bike is immaculate and runs well.

one thing i have just found is the, the battery stood for five weeks all leds lit up when tried, then dropped to three, then none, i tried the bike with a multi metre and it showed 41.6 volts, tried the handle bar control switch, and the battery indicator showed empty,. put it on charge and after 15 mins was fully charged, showing full on control.

I tried with multi metre showed 42 volts, I am very pleased with the bike, it is top of the range, all good parts, beatiful built.

My bike has only done about 1 mile, when my son had a ride on it, i have had a hip replacement a few months ago, so i do not expect to be riding it till about easter.

As i bought it off ebay i cannot send it back to 50 cycles, because i have no warranty, do you think the battery needs draining to reset the charge indicator.

ROB

Last edited:

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Yes, you should do a 'learning cycle'. First fully charge the battery - charge it until all the lights on the battery go out. Then ride the bike (or have someone else ride it) until the system switches off, then charge it up fully again, that should sort it out.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I may have to wait a bit till I have recovered, I have no one to ride the bike as my son is working away, the gauge showed battery empty when it held 41.6 volts, so the bike may not run as showing empty at this voltage.
can I use light bulbs to empty the battery.
ROB

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
You should contact the seller you bought it from for advice. He should help.
There are stories here of 50cycles helping people who bought from abroad so also worth contacting them. From memory the owner had to pay for some labour but not for parts.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
The seller was very fair, offered any trial, the battery was charged.
I only tried it lifted off the ground, gears tried, run smooth, lights work,
bike lovely, price exceptional.
I could try 50 cycles, if only for advice, but thought someone on the forum may have had a similar fault if it is a fault
ROB

• Disagree
your best bet is to open a case on eBay now... so you're protected. If you wait you might not be able to do it.

Your more protected buying though ebay that pretty much another other form of shopping. Especially if you paid with Paypal.

The seller will have to collect the bike, sort out the problem for you and supply you with a new one or refund you. They should be the one dealing with the supplier not you.

Reactions: tillson

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I could try 50 cycles, if only for advice, but thought someone on the forum may have had a similar fault if it is a fault
ROB
As others have indicated, while the seller may be a really nice chap, he nevertheless has an obligation to his customers and it looks to me like you have been unfortunate to receive one of those faulty batteries that Kalkhoff supplied with some of their bikes a while ago.

Those who purchased through 50Cycles and suffered battery problems in a similar manner to that which you describe, had their batteries replaced by 50Cycles which cured the problem.

I don't know whether the vendor might play ball on a good customer relations basis if you approach him nicely but ebay should be able to resolve this to your satisfaction purely on the basis that an EAPC is not fit for purpose if the battery does not function correctly.

Tom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The seller was very fair, offered any trial, the battery was charged.
I only tried it lifted off the ground, gears tried, run smooth, lights work,
bike lovely, price exceptional.
ROB
E-bay is the toughest selling medium to a retailer,if the seller did not accurately explain the spec of the bike,you can make a claim against PayPal,the buyer always wins.
Having said that e-bay wouldn't function unless buyer and seller were honest. Unfortunately,there are a number of professional thieves on the buyer side,who try to keep the goods and get their money back,there is an unofficial mechanism to overcome this....not for a moment suggesting that applies in your case,but it makes retailers hostile to claim backs.
I would quickly check that your battery is good or bad,if bad and the seller won't help then make a claim back against PayPal.
KudosDave

Reactions: tillson

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I do not know if the battery is bad, it charges to 42v and holds it.
it only dropped to 41.6 after about 5 or 6 weeks, and I kept pressing the battery button most days to test it, I think it is either the BMS, or the battery gauge, and they may be ok, I was only asking if any one else had this happen, 45 days have gone, for ebay.
ROB

• Disagree