Kalkhoff bike owner

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
Hi everyone I am from Leeds and have come into ownership of a kalkhoff pro connect s and wondered if anyone could help with the brand of brakes on this bike. It is a wonderful bike and wanna start servicing my bike myself

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
What year? Is it fitted with cable calliper, hydraulic rim or hydraulic disc brakes? The calliper brakes are shimano, the rim hydraulic are Magura HS11. Don’t know about hydraulic disc.
regards.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Sounds like the hs11 as they are rim brakes.
That’s a great bike. Is it a Panasonic motor? I’ve got a standard Pro Connect which I bought new in 2008. It’s still in regular use. Magura brakes are rubbish though. I’d really like a Pro Connect Disc frame to transfer all the gubbings onto. I bet there’s many sat abandoned in sheds around the country.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
....... Magura brakes are rubbish though. .....
Why do you say that? I've had Magura rim brakes on our tandem for 12 years and only ever had to change the brake blocks and their stopping power is great and if you've ever descended long hills on a fully loaded tandem as we have many a time, you do need good brakes and the Maguras fit the bill.

Maybe your poor experience was down to something other than the brake per se?

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Why do you say that? I've had Magura rim brakes on our tandem for 12 years and only ever had to change the brake blocks and their stopping power is great and if you've ever descended long hills on a fully loaded tandem as we have many a time, you do need good brakes and the Maguras fit the bill.

Maybe you poor experience was down to something other than the brake per se?
Our solo (early Motus hub gear) has HS11s. They brake reasonably well when bled/adjusted but are a pain to do any work on; much more difficult to adjust than the V-brakes on our tandem and only marginally better stopping power.

Other owners of HS11s might comment. The main difficulty in adjusting is that even with the brake tightening screws properly loosened the brake holder and pads do not slide easily forward and backwards. They need quite a bit of pushing and even then move very jerkily making it difficult to set to any precise position.

I wondered if the previous owners might have done something to make it misbehave?
Does anyone else have similar issues?

Reactions: Bikes4two

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020

Maybe you poor experience was down to something other than the brake per se?
I find them difficult / impossible to balance. When the brake is applied, initially, only one piston moves, when the pad touches the rim, the second piston then moves. When the brake is released, only one piston moves away from the rim, the second remains close to the rim and can rub.

The brakes seem very sensitive to piston friction. I contacted Magura about the issue and they confirmed that their brakes are rubbish and almost impossible to balance. Very honest of them!

Reactions: Bikes4two