Kalkhoff Groove F8 or Neo Cross

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
I am trying to decide between these two bikes for my daily commute of 12ish KM each way. Iceland is quite hilly with lots of wind, which is why I really want the power assist. The Groove is much cheaper, but I like the look and handlebar setup, and disc brakes of the Neo Cross much more, as well as the motor being in the back instead of the front on the Groove. From what I can tell from online reviews, the Neo Cross has a top assist of 1:3 whereas the Groove only 1:2, is this correct?

Anyone had a chance to ride both and have a preference based on feel?

I owned a Kalkhoff Pro Connect a few years ago and liked it a lot, but had to sell it before I moved back to Iceland. So there is some brand familiarity even though the groove is a step down in the product line.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I am trying to decide between these two bikes for my daily commute of 12ish KM each way. Iceland is quite hilly with lots of wind, which is why I really want the power assist. The Groove is much cheaper, but I like the look and handlebar setup, and disc brakes of the Neo Cross much more, as well as the motor being in the back instead of the front on the Groove. From what I can tell from online reviews, the Neo Cross has a top assist of 1:3 whereas the Groove only 1:2, is this correct?

Anyone had a chance to ride both and have a preference based on feel?

I owned a Kalkhoff Pro Connect a few years ago and liked it a lot, but had to sell it before I moved back to Iceland. So there is some brand familiarity even though the groove is a step down in the product line.
For those conditions - Neo (although it's probably overkill). Plus because you like the look - and it has an in-frame battery rather than that rack one (not a fan of them !!).

The top assist is higher and that helps when you need a bit of extra push.

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Have you been on a Neo? I had a test drive a few weeks ago and was very disappointed with the noise it sounded like a milk float. I became very conscious of it when cycling past people and other cyclists. On the positive side dogs heard me a mile off and moved out of the way......

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you been on a Neo? I had a test drive a few weeks ago and was very disappointed with the noise it sounded like a milk float. I became very conscious of it when cycling past people and other cyclists. On the positive side dogs heard me a mile off and moved out of the way......
That's unusual: The one I went on was very quiet. The Kalkhoff also has a hub-motor, so will make a bit of noise. The Neo's motor is much bigger and more powerful than the Kakhoff. Don't go by statistics. The Neo is one of the best climbers. Try one if you can and you'll see what I mean.
Her's a comparison between a Kalkhoff impulse, which would be a better cllimber than the Groove, but as you can see it's still no contest against a Neo. After the advert, skip to 2:40 for the Neo.
The Gadget Show | Switzerland: Electric Bikes video from The Gadget Show

Last edited by a moderator:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Have you considerer a conversion Our new Baby Kube kit will be available next month It will be available for export will come with pedal sensor and throttle

follow the link below for a preview

Commuter Baby

Frank

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
For reasons too complicated to get into here on the forum, these are the only two bikes I am considering, but thanks for the link.

Not yet, but will try it out before I buy of course. Noise doesn´t bother me, as I rarely ever pass anyone on my commute, most icelanders have the sense to stay indoors. I tend to bike with headphones anyway (naughty me! though it is on a dedicated bike path not connected to the road) so noise is not even on my list of concerns.

That's unusual: The one I went on was very quiet. The Kalkhoff also has a hub-motor, so will make a bit of noise. The Neo's motor is much bigger and more powerful than the Kakhoff. Don't go by statistics. The Neo is one of the best climbers. Try one if you can and you'll see what I mean.
Her's a comparison between a Kalkhoff impulse, which would be a better cllimber than the Groove, but as you can see it's still no contest against a Neo. After the advert, skip to 2:40 for the Neo.
The Gadget Show | Switzerland: Electric Bikes video from The Gadget Show
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it won´t let me view it here in Iceland! Says the video is not available in my country. :-( Any chance it is mirrored on youtube somewhere?

Last edited:

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
Another question, assuming 3ish years from now when the battery is finally gone, let´s say I cannot source a new one from the manufacturer, isn´t it as easy as disassembling the battery pack, identifying the cells, and replacing them? I saw a few people mention for the NEO (and some other bikes with proprietary packs) that this was a downside, but then I have seen multiple posts here and on endless sphere where people are rebuilding their old battery packs.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Another question, assuming 3ish years from now when the battery is finally gone, let´s say I cannot source a new one from the manufacturer, isn´t it as easy as disassembling the battery pack, identifying the cells, and replacing them? I saw a few people mention for the NEO (and some other bikes with proprietary packs) that this was a downside, but then I have seen multiple posts here and on endless sphere where people are rebuilding their old battery packs.
Firstly BH have said they will supply new packs for at least the next three years so should not be a problem getting a new one. Also while I have not for obvious reason (warrantee) dismantled mine it is definitely held together with screws so i see no reason why a home rebuild will prove impossible. HTH

C

Cyclezee

Hi mr_chompers,

Welcome to the forum,

I spent a great week in Iceland last summer.

Did you not consider buying locally from these guys? Rafhjol

Below is a photo of a converted bike I saw outside the Harpa Concert Hall.
FILE0116.jpg

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
Actually that is exactly what I plan to do now. A combination of losing my job, and finding out that flying with an electric bike is problematic (battery needs to be sent by post, and since iceland is not part of the EU, a 27% VAT is applied, despite already owning the battery I mail myself) had me reconsider my purchase, as I had planned to buy the Neo Cross in Copenhagen and fly back with it.

Instead I bought a Trek 8.5 DS which is just a fantastic bike, I could not be more pleased, and assuming I find a job in the next month or two, the first paycheck will go to Rafhjól. They are getting in complete Swissdrive kits in February/March which is what I plan to add to the Trek.

C

Cyclezee

Good luck mr_chompers,

I hope that find a job OK. I was going to visit Rafhjól myself when we were in Reykjavik but ran out of time.

Regards,