Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2010
Reviewer: mike

Purchased From: Wisper Electransport/ Kalkhoff50cycles

Purchase Price:Wisper £1200/ Kalkhoff £2495

Time Owned: Wisper 2yrs/ Kalkhoff 2wks

Local Terrain: Flat / few minor hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Wisper hill climbing good/Riding when tired brilliant drop couple of gears and its effortless. Build quality is good, with few issues spokes have on numerous occasions come completely loose. only bike it has happened on. brakes poor. easily fixed. Kalkhoff quality excellent though lighting wire thin and poorly finished at rear light. Brakes very powerful, enough to flex frame and forks. Lights not yet tested but seem very bright. Hill climbing potentially very good, some times i fly up others not. Need to get used to gears, put it in wrong gear for the hill and it,s a pig. The wisper is much more forgiving.

Weaknesses: wisper/brakes/pedalling without power//rear wheel spokes pain in the bottom spent last two yrs with wobbly wheel had them straightened once, still came loose. lights supplied rubbish.grips not very comfortable. Kalkhoff/weak throttle speed. thin lighting wire, frame wire feed holes not sealed. pedalling without power not much better than wisper. battery run flats after 20 miles in high, penalty i guess for fast bike. (wisper gives much better range). horrible bulbous barrel grips, for me they cause numb palms. No extras not even a pump. Unless you count lights. for £2495 that's tight!.

Summary:This is just a brief comparison between the two bikes.
kalkhoff 300w motor 24v10a battery. I like the kalkhoff though the gears take some getting used to, and yes it,s very fast. The manual says 28mph assistance cut off, and i don't doubt it. The big wheels of the kalkhoff absorb a lot of the road making riding a pleasure. Riding without power though is not much better than the wisper. Wisper 905se 250w motor. battery 36v14a. well as you would expect the kalkhoff has it in most aspects, except for quick getaway from the lights,. Throttle and pedal combined much quicker than the kalkhoff. When your tired the wisper is the better bike because less rider effort is required.
Which bike do i prefer? the kalkhoff definitely has the speed, 25mph and more if you have the legs. It cuts 10 mins off my journey to work compared to wisper (5 mins faster than the excellent value synergie mistral, cadence for me was just right). Change the wisper motor for the 350w 16 inch geared rear dapush (off road use) and things should be very different. My workmate and i have ordered one though not sure when they are in the country. so the kalkhoff has it and so it should for the price. I think it will last many many years.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : Kalkhoff 9 / Wisper7 This i am sure will change when dapush is fitted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the comparative review. Just to make it clear for others, the Kalkhoff model you have is the Pro Connect S DualDrive, the fastest of the range.

It's Panasonic system isn't mastered immediately due to the unusual way the system works. With time you'll find it's comparative performance much better, especially on hill climbing and fast take off, since as you've found, choosing the right gear for the purpose is important. Usually it's a higher gear than you might suspect and only experience gets the best out of it, choose too low a gear and it will under perform.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Last edited: