Kalkhoff Pro Connect. Impressive range.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Completed an 81 mile ride 5500 ft of climbing. Mostly on Eco/sport ( low and mid) but used full power mode as well for some hills towards the end. Battery was showing 3 bars on the dashboard indicator and one led on the battery itself so still maybe 5-10 miles left. I'm very impressed!

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Which model of Kalkhoff bike was this on Lowranger? I'm interested if it is a standard or an "s pedelec" since I think the extra power and speed available on the S Pedelec models would reduce this range.

Chris

Ahh - just spotted on another of your posts that it is a Pro Connect Impulse 10 - as I thought the 250 Watt 15mph version.

Reactions: lowranger

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Completed an 81 mile ride 5500 ft of climbing. Mostly on Eco/sport ( low and mid) but used full power mode as well for some hills towards the end. Battery was showing 3 bars on the dashboard indicator and one led on the battery itself so still maybe 5-10 miles left. I'm very impressed!
I'm impressed too! This current crop of Kalkhoff's have been superb for range. I like the gearing on the Pro Connect 10 too, nice spread, you can get some speed up on the downhill stretches.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm impressed too! This current crop of Kalkhoff's have been superb for range. I like the gearing on the Pro Connect 10 too, nice spread, you can get some speed up on the downhill stretches.
The plural of Kalkhoff is Kalkhoffs.

An apostrophe denotes possession.

"This Kalkhoff's battery lasts a long time."

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Be

Do you feel superior now Rob? Has this lesson in grammar filled a void in your life and made you feel slightly less inadequate?
No.

The poster is a director of the sole importer of Kalkhoff ebikes.

Anyone who receives a written communication from him in business will not be impressed by a fairly basic - albeit increasingly common - error.

You may or may not agree with that in your 'happy clappy we are all here for each other world', but people do make those judgments.

Just as I do about posters who make stupid, snide remarks about 'filling a void in my life' and 'inadequacy'.

Reactions: tillson

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Hey come on guys. None of this is necessary. I posted the comment to be of use to members as a real world example of the the range of the bike not to start a criticism their grammer. Let's stick to ebikes and leave the grammer for the English language forums.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I can't make my mind up now. Should it be Kalkhoffs'? Because it's the range of more than one Kalkhoff bike which is being discussed.

Either way, 80 miles, which was the original point is a long way.

I hate this sort of thing on Internet forums, they always end up going off at a tangent and the original meaning is lost.

Reactions: oldtom

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Very impressive but I guess you're pretty fit. Most of us, I fear, wouldn't achieve anything like that kind of mileage.

Tom
Hi Tom. I may stand corrected but I think that because of how the crank drive delivers the power then fitness would not affect the range as much as you might think. The less fit would use a lower gear (and go slower) but the assistance would be similar to a that given in a higher gear. What would be the bigger issue, I guess, would be the physical time that would then need to be spent on the saddle and gripping the bars. So even you were to halve this range that would still be a good ride for someone less fit and give them confidence they can aspire to longer rides when their fitness improves. (Post not check for grammatical errors)

D

Deleted member 4366

Personally, I find wrongly used apostrophes very annoying. I don't know what it is about them. I don't care about other grammatical errors. I'll happily decode a post with no senrences, full stops, capital letters or commas, but the moment I see that bad apastrophe, I switch off. Why is that? What is it that the bad apostrophes say about the writer that other mistakes don't?

I fully support Rob. Bad apostrophes must go. Anybody that condones them should be temporarily banned as a punishment, and anybody that incites others to use them should be permanently banned.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Personally, I find wrongly used apostrophes very annoying. I don't know what it is about them. I don't care about other grammatical errors. I'll happily decode a post with no senrences, full stops, capital letters or commas, but the moment I see that bad apastrophe, I switch off. Why is that? What is it that the bad apostrophes say about the writer that other mistakes don't?

I fully support Rob. Bad apostrophes must go. Anybody that condones them should be temporarily banned as a punishment, and anybody that incites others to use them should be permanently banned.
I suppose I'm bound to like this post, but mostly because it made me smile.

Hang 'em and flog 'em - love it.

The most crass and annoying apostrophe error to me is using one to denote a plural.

If in any doubt about apostrophe use, leave it out - you will not go far wrong.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The plural of Kalkhoff is Kalkhoffs.

An apostrophe denotes possession.

"This Kalkhoff's battery lasts a long time."
Yes, I know that, a mistake after a long day at the keyboard. I have GCSEs and everything, but thank's for your help!;)

Reactions: tillson and oldtom

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
No.

The poster is a director of the sole importer of Kalkhoff ebikes.

Anyone who receives a written communication from him in business will not be impressed by a fairly basic - albeit increasingly common - error.
The poster also has an upper second class degree from Oxford University but, like all other human beings, makes the odd grammar mistake now and then, despite being an insufferable stickler for correct grammar himself.

I share your view about how important this is, RobF. I'm mortified. If you could go over all my previous posts on here, all the copy on the 50cycles.com website and all my blog posts, making a list of all the grammar mistakes as you go, I would be genuinely grateful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi Tom. I may stand corrected but I think that because of how the crank drive delivers the power then fitness would not affect the range as much as you might think. The less fit would use a lower gear (and go slower) but the assistance would be similar to a that given in a higher gear. What would be the bigger issue, I guess, would be the physical time that would then need to be spent on the saddle and gripping the bars. So even you were to halve this range that would still be a good ride for someone less fit and give them confidence they can aspire to longer rides when their fitness improves. (Post not check for grammatical errors)
I don't know how many times we've been through this. There's very little in a bike that gives a user something for nothing. There's two main ways you can go a long way on an ebike. You can either get a big battery, or you can use the power from the battery at a lower rate. If you use the power at a lower rate, you have to either go slower or pedal harder. There's no ebike with ingredient "X" that can change that. There's no significant difference in the various ebike motor efficiencies, neither in the type of drive system.

Some Kakhoffs have 17Ah batteries, so, for a similar effort, it will go approximately 70% further than say a Tonaro with a 10Ah battery.

When people get a long range from their bike, it tells you more about the rider and their rides than it does about the bike.

If you want a bike that can go a long way, get one with a big battery, not one that anyone claims to be more efficient. Real efficiency comes from reduced rolling resistance and wind resistance. Weight makes a difference too if you have lots of hills.

Reactions: 4bound and Kenny