eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

clckn2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2010
Cheshire
:D. Nice try!

Not the same thing at all of course, the Aston Martin driver has to pass a driving test, insure the vehicle to protect third parties, and register it so that he can be traced from it's number plate.

If you care to get type approval for your e-bike for the moped class, register and insure it, attach the number plate and take a CBT and P class driving test, you can then exceed 15.5 mph power assisted! That is the same thing. :)
The Aston Martin must not exceed 70mph. It is not governed to that speed. I agree with all else you said but the point is that to ride on British roads we all should be subject to safety legislation. To exceed 70 mph in a car is far more serious offence than not using pedals to activate a motor that will assist the rider. So power assist (twist and go) I feel should be available to ebike riders.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As said though, since we are not traceable (no number plates), the vehicle has to be restricted. There's no need to restrict the AM since it can be trapped remotely as they sometimes are by Gatsos and the like, and the driver punished as necessary.

The throttle issue is related to the intent of cyclemotor law, that the e-bike should in every respect remain a bicycle, just aided by the motor. That means all power availability is by pedalling. The moment an independently functioning throttle is added, the bicycle becomes a pedal assisted very low powered motor cycle instead, the reverse of the law's intent.