Kalkhoff Pro Coonect Owners. Help.

iangrimmett

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2009
KALKHOFF PRO CONNECT OWNERS. Help.

Hi There.

I am about to confirm an order for a new Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

Are there ANY current owners out there who have had the same bike in continual use for months or years, rather than days, who can advise me of their
current feelings about the bike, it's reliability and performance.

Any independent advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
There are lots of 2008 ProConnect owners out there, but far fewer model S owners as that one is new to the market. When I was buying my bike (Agattu) I used the search feature on the forum to find all the posts I could referring to it, and read through the lot to get a good idea of people's experiences.

I expect some ProConnect owners will be along soon to offer their opinions.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi There.

I am about to confirm an order for a new Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

Are there ANY current owners out there who have had the same bike in continual use for months or years, rather than days, who can advise me of their
current feelings about the bike, it's reliability and performance.

Any independent advice would be apprecioted.
As Fecn says, only the first version of the ProConnect (which became available in May/June 2008) has had any significant usage by members.

The non-S version received an update in the 2009 model year, replacing the 24 spoke version of the Shimano 8 speed hub gear with the later Shimano Alfine model (either 32 or 36 spokes - not sure which).

There have been issues with the 24 spoke rear wheel, which have received a lot of prominence because of the difficulty in obtaining replacement parts, and subsequent delays in getting the bike back on the road.

I opted to change the rear wheel to the latest 36 spoke Shimano Nexus hub gear (SG-8R36) very early on, and used a similar 36 spoke rim and Deore XT hub on the front, so that I could readily obtain and repair spokes and rims anywhere around Europe.

So, my experience consists of about 1700 miles of ProConnect cycling, albeit with the majority being on different wheels.

My cycling is largely leisure based, typically with rides of 25 to 40 miles (2 batteries), and I enjoy it very much.

The bike has been completely trouble free. The 2009 model with Alfine hub gear would be a similar specification to mine.

Other changes include 700x38 Marathon Plus tyres with Schwalbe AV17 schrader tubes (no punctures as yet), 19T sprocket and a sprung seatpost.

A sprung seatpost is purely personal choice, but note that you need 2 or 3 inches of saddle height to fit it in. This might not be available if you have opted for a large frame size in relation to your inside leg.

So, the bike is just coming up to 12 months old, and I enjoy it a lot. With the 2009 model, you would not meet the same difficulties in obtaining parts and should find that all the non-Panasonic bits can be obtained through you Local Bike Shop.

James

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
Ive had mine for almost a year and have done 4000+ miles through the worst of the winter. I commute 10 miles each way to work.

I have changed the cog to a 16, 700x38 Marathon Plus tyres.

I have broken a few bits, but my experience of 50 Cycles offer is very very good. You get 2 years of this service as part of the package.

I take the battery charger with me in my panniers. With a 16 cog you get about 20 miles of full power. I could get too and from work on one charge but when you get to one light it just gets a bit sluggish. Also there are so many detours on the way home and you get 1o more miles to play with.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi inangrimmett

I have had my Pro Connect for about ten and a half months now and have covered over 3000 miles on it.

At the time of purchase, I was a non-cyclist, and had the initial intention of using it for about 50% of my commuting to work. In reality, I have used it for over 90% of my journeys. I had no intention of using it for recreational cycling and I haven’t, I have used solely on roads and a very good tarmac cycle path.

The only modifications that I have made are the additions of a very bright LED front light and an LED rear light which can act like a rear fog light on a car in times of low visibility. I have also put on a Cateye mirror which has proved very useful, and changed the rear sprocket to an 18 tooth.

The issues that I have had since delivery are:

1) A faulty charger. 50 Cycles replaced this within 24 hours of reporting the fault without quibble.

2) A couple of issues with the battery apparently losing capacity. Again, 50 Cycles changed the batteries within 24 hours of reporting the problem. I think that it has now been established that the battery issues a few people have had were due to the battery meter calibration drifting, rather than a fundamental fault with the battery design. My present battery, after initially exhibiting the apparent capacity loss problems has now done about 2000 miles and there is no detectable reduction in range the battery delivers or capacity.

3) I have nearly worn out the rear wheel rim and have had some difficulty in obtaining replacement parts. This is a well documented bone of contention. The most important thing is that a cost effective solution now exists and it won’t be a problem in future.

The bike has worked flawlessly in everything that the English weather can throw at it, heat, cold, wet, ice, snow hail. Nothing seems to affect it. I have left the standard Marathon racer tyres on and haven’t suffered any punctures. I don’t know if I am just lucky or if the tyres have good puncture resistance.

The harshness of the ride came as a bit of a shock at first, but I am used to it now. I wouldn’t venture off tarmac unless I introduced some form of suspension though. My wife, who had a total knee replacement 2 years ago after a sporting accident, occasionally rides the bike off road whilst I follow her on my 1970s vintage Raleigh Record! She has no problem with the harshness of the ride, but she slows down if the going gets rough, whereas when I ride it for commuting, I just want to get to the other end as quickly as possible.

I have never used the high power setting. Initially having always used the standard setting, I have now progressively migrated to only using the low power mode and can easily get 50 miles out of the battery with my 18 tooth sprocket, but it does involve putting in effort. My commute is a 20 mile round trip and i arrive home with 2 out of 3 lights still on the charge level meter. The 18 tooth modification suits me, the bike and terrain I cycle very well. It will pull nicely up any hill that I have encountered, and has the legs to comfortably pedal to 30 mph plus on a steady downhill. On the flat with no head wind, 20 mph or there about is usual.

The bike has maintained its finish and looks very well. It doesn’t seem to have deteriorated at all since new.

In summary, the bike is pretty bomb proof and can be relied on to get you around with a very high level of reliability. The finish is excellent and it will maintain its good looks if you take care of it. The assistance provided by the Panasonic power unit when combined with the gearing of the 8 speed Nexus hub provides a nice riding experience. The whole package makes for a very viable commuting workhorse which can be used relentlessly, day-in day-out all year round.

paultrafalgar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 4, 2007
Kalkhoff Pro Connect - Some data

Here is a snapshot of a spreadsheet I made of rides on my Pro connect. Sorry, the headings
are cut off. They are:
A B C D E F G H
Date | Points | Miles | Ridden |Ascent|AmpHrs|AmpHrs/Mile| AmpHrs/Mile/Ft
| Fugawi| | or Plan| Feet | | | of ascent
Edit:
Sorry, uploading this post screws the careful layout of columns!

Attachments