Kalkhoff Sahel Compact Impulse 8?????

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Hi Everyone,
New member in Cumbria looking for some advice. Some background - we have a motor caravan based on a panel van. The design has a rear compartment where I currently carry 2 normal crossover bikes crossways, one above the other. To get them in I need to remove one pedal and turn the handlebars 90 degrees. They only just fit in! Most electric bikes are longer than non-electrics so would not fit crossways.

We go to France quite a lot and like to go off site on the bikes to explore the countryside and villages in the locality - typically 30 mile round trips. With age this is getting harder, hence considering electric bikes. The Kalkhoff Sahel Compact seems to fit the bill - it will fit crossways in the back, the pedals fold and the handlebars easily turn. The only difficulty may be loading the top one given the weight - even with the battery removed they are 20kg - though with the bars and seat at the lowest level it won't be quite so far to lift it.

Question 1 - What are 20" wheeled bikes like to ride compared to full size?

Question 2 - How good are Kalkhoff bikes - do they justify the over £2k price tag (I need 2!)?

Question 3 - Are there any others that will fit the requirements that I should be looking at?

Son lives in Bristol so we will be visiting the '50Cycles' shop there to have a look and take a test ride but would appreciate the thoughts of you experts on here.

Many Thanks

Kendalian

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
There have been quite a few ``problems`` documented on this forum from members with the motor that the kalkhoff uses so caution is advised.
I have had three fail on two different models.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: BigG and Ted B.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Since starting the thread I have used the search facility and have found much bad news! Don't really know what to look at now.

Kendalian
There are a lot of great e-bikes out there,if you are looking for crank drive motors then Bosch,Yamaha,Shimano and Panasonic all have a great reputation for reliability and performance.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Twenty inch bikes on balloon tyres ride surprisingly well.

My AVE MH7 is effectively a Bosch version of the Sahel and I've done 80+ mile rides on it.

Comfort isn't quite there compared to a big wheel bike, but it's not far off.

As has been said, too many reported problems with the Kalkhoff motor to recommend that brand.

An alternative is the Winora Radius, which has the Yamaha motor.

Reasonably prided at under £2K.

http://www.greenaer.co.uk/product/winora-radius-urban-2016/

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I'm glad I found you guys - I had convinced myself the Kalkhoff was for me, NOT now though!

The 'bluelabel pony' looks good but is a bit pricey when I need 2. The Winora Radius also looks good and is better priced, and a store in Bristol selling them so I can easily have a look next time we are there.

Kendalian

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm glad I found you guys - I had convinced myself the Kalkhoff was for me, NOT now though!

The 'bluelabel pony' looks good but is a bit pricey when I need 2. The Winora Radius also looks good and is better priced, and a store in Bristol selling them so I can easily have a look next time we are there.

Kendalian
Twice the price but twice as good. It's a long term investment, worth it if you do more than a few miles.

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
I might look at the 2017 Orbea Katu-e 20 (the 2016 version has fewer gears I believe). This costs £1999.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi....have you looked at our Kudos Sprint,it was modelled on the styling of the Kalkhoff Sahel and KTM compact,but without the higher cost.
I ride my 20" wheeled folder up steep hills,along rough tracks,doing usually about 20 mile rides...I have access to 26" wheeled e-bikes but the convenience of the smaller wheels does it for me.
KudosDave

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
The Kudos seems very cheap compared to the others I have been looking at - I presume some components aren't as good as on other bikes? Still worth a look though, I see there is a dealer at Penrith which is handy for me.

The Orbea Katu e 20 also looks worth looking at. It seems there are more options than I thought!

Many Thanks

Kendalian

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Chuck Ives

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I called in at Bikeseven in Longtown on Friday on the way to Peebles in the campervan. They had on show an Orbea Katu-E 20 LR which I was able to take for a ride. Having never ridden an e-bike before I was amazed! It really took off when I applied power to the pedals and I had a broad grin on my face when I got back - absolutely fantastic! The 20" wheels are certainly not an issue either. This just confirmed that a compact e-bike will fit the bill and give me what I want.

So, I am thinking of a 2017 model Orbea Katu-E 10 LR which has 8 speed gears and the Bosch Performance Line motor unit with 500ah battery pack

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/katu-e-10-lr

Any comments - or am I sorted??

Many Thanks

Kendalian

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I ride my 20" wheeled folder up steep hills,along rough tracks,doing usually about 20 mile rides...I have access to 26" wheeled e-bikes but the convenience of the smaller wheels does it for me.
It what way are they more convenient Dave?

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't worry it is just someone with big fingers scrolling down on their phone, I have one too for a harmless post.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And now another;)

• :D
Reactions: JimRides

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Grrrrr...:mad:

Reactions: Croxden

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The Kudos seems very cheap compared to the others I have been looking at - I presume some components aren't as good as on other bikes? Still worth a look though, I see there is a dealer at Penrith which is handy for me.

The Orbea Katu e 20 also looks worth looking at. It seems there are more options than I thought!

Many Thanks

Kendalian
The Kudos are a well known brand here. Most bikes use Chinese components, but some claim higher status,branding. But there isn't a lot in it. A good kudos will last as long and any other brand and beat a dodgy impulse motor easy.
Upgrading different cycle components is simple and fairly cheap. But D8veh gets excellent value from eBay bikes with almost any shimano component.
The legal power limits also mean that the difference between bikes is small too.
Ps a more powerful bike uses the battery faster, but a bigger battery is almost always better.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Can anyone tell me what was 'offensive' in my post 11 ??

Thanks

'Bemused' Kendalian
anotherkiwi is spot-on - it seems to be the label that's most often misapplied and I think it's because it's at the extreme right edge of the screen. That makes it very easy to snag it accidentally if you're (right handed and) scrolling on a touch screen device. "Bad spelling" is hard on its heels in terms of misapplication and that's the next icon in!

Sorry, I know nothing about Orbea but the one you're considering looks like a fun and practical wee machine!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Orbea and BH are Spain's main two bicycle manufacturers.

My vote is for the Winora, better tyres, handlebars turn out of the way, pedals fold, Yamaha motor with decent sized double chainwheel (6 gears possible) and the integrated handle at the balance point for lifting it in and out of trains and buses, car boots what have you...

Reactions: flatbat