Kalkhoff unreliability

Scottish David

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Hello, just joining. Perhaps should have joined 2 years ago and asked for advice.

Dodgy ankle, bad back, asthmatic, so an e-bike should be the answer. Purchased a Kalkhoff two years ago and love it. Regularly do 40-60 miles including big hills. BUT - it is so unreliable! Currently getting its 4th major repair and unlikely to be back quickly.

Anyone else had any of these issues:
Battery failure after 6 months - replaced
Display unit failed because I cycled in the rain - replaced
Switch unit failed - replaced

And now, having been out and having the motor cut in and out, run when not pedalling and run at top power when freewheeling downhill at 25mph (scary and dangerous) the motor isn't running or driving at all. Dealer says it is battery again - can't see how that is possible as the display says all charged and ready to go and the lights work.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Kalkhoff Endeavour with Impulse motor

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the impulse motors are not fit for purpose they all fail 5o cycles went bust because of this and kept selling them knowing the fault was there and it was never fixed.

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
As above there unfit for purpose get your money back

Agbc

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Yes I had a kalkhoff with the notoriously unreliable impulse motors, they knew they were faulty, get away from Kalkhoff as soon as you can

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Yes I had a kalkhoff with the notoriously unreliable impulse motors, they knew they were faulty, get away from Kalkhoff as soon as you can
Nothing wrong with the bike....it's the Impulse motor.
Simply make sure the KalKhoff you get ...has a Bosch motor.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul L and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing wrong with the bike....it's the Impulse motor.
Simply make sure the KalKhoff you get ...has a Bosch motor.
And in fairness to Kalkhoff, the Impulse motor wasn't theirs either, they've never made anything electrical. They are made by the German Daum company and were originally marketed as Daum. And the batteries the Impulse motors use are made by German battery company BMZ.

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
So the moto is buy Chinese not German?? wow now there's a turn of events.

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
I agree, or probably buy a second hand one with the excellent Panasonic motor!
I’ve had mine for 10 years, regularly commuting in all weathers covering in excess of 20,000 miles, battery still at 80% capacity only regular servicing, chain, sprockets etc., and not a thing gone wrong .
What has happened to Panasonic in the e bike world, which they seemed to dominate?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What has happened to Panasonic in the e bike world, which they seemed to dominate?
In Europe, price and German pride.

The well made Panasonic mid drive motors were expensive, like many Japanese quality products, so the Germans could match or beat it. Also the Germans don't like to acknowledge any Oriental superiority.

So even with the Panasonic motor equipped bikes, Kalkhoff dropped the Panasonic batteries and started using German copies from BMZ. Then after spotting the Daum motor on the German market Kalkhoff adopted those too. At the same time Bosch and other German firms started making crank drives so that sealed the future.

I don't think this market is important enough to Panasonic to be bothered to fight for, especially since so many others, European, Japanese, Chinese and Taiwanese are fighting for scraps from the table.

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010

The well made Panasonic mid drive motors were expensive, like many Japanese quality products, so the Germans could match or beat it. Also the Germans don't like to acknowledge any Oriental superiority.

So even with the Panasonic motor equipped bikes, Kalkhoff dropped the Panasonic batteries and started using German copies from BMZ. Then after spotting the Daum motor on the German market Kalkhoff adopted those too. At the same time Bosch and other German firms started making crank drives so that sealed the future.

I don't think this market is important enough to Panasonic to be bothered to fight for, especially since so many others, European, Japanese, Chinese and Taiwanese are fighting for scraps from the table.
[/QUOTE
I remember trying a Daum technic at the tour de Presteigne with two speed motor gearbox and an impressive digital display in 2010, Tempting, but just glad I didn't buy one, how things have moved on!

Reactions: flecc

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland

I suppose it made business sense at the time to use the Daum motor given Derby cycles owned 50% of the company but I'm sure they never imagined the damage it would do to the Kalkhoff brand.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
So the moto is buy Chinese not German?? wow now there's a turn of events.
Possibly the same thing
Not much is “made” in Germany these days
The majority of parts are supplied ex Asia and possibly assembled in Germany

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and flecc