Kalkhoff v Raleigh

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
I am grateful for all the very useful information that I have read on this site and look forward to becoming an active member. After much research I have decided to order a Kalkhoff Tasman Classic. However I have recently discovered that this bike has been sold for some time in Switzerland as a Raleigh Dover Classic and so now am wondering if I am buying a sheep in wolfs clothing. Same bike, same manufacturer, different price. I am also concerned that a bike without front suspension might not be ideal for the ocassional foray off road and onto the beaten track. Perhaps I am just being anxious having decided to spend a not inconsiderable sum on a bike. Any comments would be very welcome.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Are you in the UK?

Because the UK Raleigh Dover is different, it has the Panasonic motor as opposed to the Classic (Kalkhoff & Raeigh) which have the Impulse motor.

Personally for the £2k mark I wouldn't go for either. I'd go for one of the Bosch or Yamaha options, much better support around.

Reactions: Osho and Emo Rider

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Raleigh is a brand which is actually owned by several different companies which have no connection with each other. This Derby Cycles Raleigh is the same bike as the Derby Cycles Kalkhoff as far as I know and they are both just badge engineered versions. If the price of the bikes is different it may be because of Swiss taxes; and that Raleigh isn't sold here anyway.

Reactions: Osho

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
What a wonderful site this is whereby people reply so quickly, thank you. Both bikes look the same to me. I expect to do a little off road riding by the river , nothing like the stuff you see on Go Pro! Yes Wander I am in Dorset and I will have a look at the bike you suggest though the more I see the more confused I become.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I stand corrected - Osho best find a dealer where you can get a test ride on what interests you and some alternatives and see from there what suits you - and you'll soon find the best bike depending on your weight, range, inclines & local terrain.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Raleigh has a smaller battery - 11ah - compared to the Kalkhoff's 17ah.

Six ah of battery costs money, so that's where the price difference is.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Osho

Don't know where you are in Dorset. I'm in Bournemouth, and you can see from my caption picture i have three Kalkhoffs. We do much off road of the gentler variety, gravel tracks, forests etc, and two bikes have no suspension other than the seat post. Raleigh e-bikes like the Dover were made by Deby cycles who produce Kalkhoffs, but last year Derby cycles sold off that badge. The latest range of Raleigh e-bikes in the UK don't include the Dover etc, and they've now changed to a bosch drive. Samways cycle shop in Wimborne are suppliers of Raleigh, if you've a chance pop along there. PM me if you want further chat. We have just ordered a new Tasman for my wife, to supplement her ageing proConnect which has covered over 11000 miles. You can try Kalkhoffs out at 50cycles, who have a shop at Shoreham on Sea. Charles there is VERY helpful.