key to battery ,wont turn.

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi, i`m trying to remove an ebike battery from a frame,its locked to the frame with a key, but the key just wont turn, i sprayed a bit of wd40 on the key ,still wont turn, anyone had this problem? i havnt used the key for a year i`d gues,

Stuart

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi, i`m trying to remove an ebike battery from a frame,its locked to the frame with a key, but the key just wont turn, i sprayed a bit of wd40 on the key ,still wont turn, anyone had this problem? i havnt used the key for a year i`d gues,

Stuart
Push the key in and out a few times, get some wd40 right inside if you can, tap it in all directions, do everything you can to exercise the internals....and if all else fails, you'll have to drill it out.

...and be sure it is the right key...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Stuart
You have to push the whole lock in to turn the key, not just turn the key.

Reactions: AndyBike

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
thanks for the replies, ye i`m sure its the right key lol, i found a duplicate one too, still wont work arg.I`ll take it to the bike shop tomorrow , maybe wont be too busy, they deal with ebikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Try the locksmiths. Battery locks won't resist their tools for more than 15 seconds. They can cut new keys for you too

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Az.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Just remember, it will never get better if you pick it!

What a cracker of a joke eh?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Any updates to how you got on. Turn and, as above, any luck pushing and turning ? or just pushing and it's still stuck
If so maybe the push bit is seized up and spraying something like wd40. or maybe lots of regular 'topping up' with WD40 so it gets a chance to work in.

If it's sat unused for some time, crud just gets in there, rain etc and locks are prone to gumming up.
Best of Luck :)

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
The lock lowers a pin from the battery into the base. The pin will have sat in that position for a while and maybe water has corroded it slightly. Try wiggling the battery back and forward relative to its base while turning the key.

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi thanks for the replies, i wanted to remove it as the charger broke but i got a new charger off amazon, which seemed ok for a week ,but now the charger is flashing red after couple of hours, i`ve tried to find out what that means but no ones answering.... its this charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B4NMQQNN/

i have another charger also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DFTP2F8 higher amp version, i plugged it into the battery 3 times and each time there was a small spark, its not plugged into the mains, that does not seem good to me, I think i need to remove the battery and replace it, but that leaves me with the same problem to remove the battery , and yes I did push the lock in, makes no difference

Stuart
p.s the batteries 5 yrs old !

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi thanks for the replies, i wanted to remove it as the charger broke but i got a new charger off amazon, which seemed ok for a week ,but now the charger is flashing red after couple of hours, i`ve tried to find out what that means but no ones answering.... its this charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?ie=UTF8&seller=A2NMJ5H7KP39KB

i have another charger also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DFTP2F8 higher amp version, i plugged it into the battery 3 times and each time there was a small spark, its not plugged into the mains, that does not seem good to me, I think i need to remove the battery and replace it, but that leaves me with the same problem to remove the battery , and yes I did push the lock in, makes no difference

Stuart
p.s the batteries 5 yrs old !
You must switch the charger on before connecting it to the battery, otherwise you'll get a spark that can damage the charger, burn the charge socket on the bike, weld the jack into the socket or blow the charge fuse in the battery if it has one.

The second charge is for a LiFePO4 battery. Is that what you have or do you have a normal Li-ion one? If you have Li-ion, there's an adjuster inside the charger's case, where you can probably turn the voltage down to 54.8v insteas of 58.4v.

Last edited: