Help! Kickstands

ladymelchet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2019
I have had my bike (Raleigh Centros with hub gears) for over a year now and covered over 1300 miles to my delight! However I have a problem - despite being right handed I ride my bike in a left handed way eg mounting and dismounting, it is a habit of a lifetime and I have never really noticed it until now on the ebike. The real issue is the kickstand which is on the wrong side for me, I have to lean over the bike to release the kickstand manually. To release it using my feet means coming round the wrong side (for me) and then trying to steady the bike to come round to mount on the best side for me. Being an ebike it is heavy and quite an awkward manoeuvre risking toppling the bike.
I have tried mounting from the left hand side of the bike but I feel really unsteady doing this and I am 65 so my balance is not what it once was! Does anyone have any suggestions regarding kickstands? I enclose a picture of the rear axel of the bike from the righthand side.
Thanks Jane

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have had my bike (Raleigh Centros with hub gears) for over a year now and covered over 1300 miles to my delight! However I have a problem - despite being right handed I ride my bike in a left handed way eg mounting and dismounting, it is a habit of a lifetime and I have never really noticed it until now on the ebike. The real issue is the kickstand which is on the wrong side for me, I have to lean over the bike to release the kickstand manually. To release it using my feet means coming round the wrong side (for me) and then trying to steady the bike to come round to mount on the best side for me. Being an ebike it is heavy and quite an awkward manoeuvre risking toppling the bike.
I have tried mounting from the left hand side of the bike but I feel really unsteady doing this and I am 65 so my balance is not what it once was! Does anyone have any suggestions regarding kickstands? I enclose a picture of the rear axel of the bike from the righthand side.
Thanks Jane
How about a center stand, with a leg out to both the right and the left sides...
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks Andy, there is no room for a central stand because of the motor. Jane
You might post a picture of the bike, from the side, encompassing the rear wheel from the middle and the motor, as I still might be able to help, as many center stands are fitted on the rear suspension, just in front of the rear wheel.
Furthermore, it might also be possible to add a second "Stand", on the RH side, also on the rear suspension.
That way, if I understood you correctly, you would have one each side!
regards
Andy
PS. From pictures of your bike on the web, I could not see any reason for either stand I mentioned, NOT to fit, but for the center stand, I still need to see the rear suspension, from slightly above, to see if the "V" can take a center stand...Bicycle-Kicksand-Stable-Double-Stands-20-26-700C-MTB-Road-Bike-Center-Position-Cycle-Accessori...jpgCenter stand.jpgCenter stand.jpgBicycle-Kicksand-Stable-Double-Stands-20-26-700C-MTB-Road-Bike-Center-Position-Cycle-Accessori...jpgCenter stand.jpgBicycle-Kicksand-Stable-Double-Stands-20-26-700C-MTB-Road-Bike-Center-Position-Cycle-Accessori...jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

ladymelchet

Apr 19, 2019
Hi Andy
Thanks again for your help. I cannot place the kickstand where you suggest as the mudguard is attached there and wiring for the rear lights. I have ordered the Hebie stand as suggested by Dewey. Thanks again and I too have had problems trying to post actual photographs on the site.
Best wishes and importantly stay well!

ladymelchet

Apr 19, 2019
Enclose are photographs of my new kickstand fixed on the right hand side of my bike. Seems to do the trick! Thanks to all concerned.

Attachments