Kids eBike Conversion - simple battery solution needed

feefee23

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2020
5s1p 8000mah is about the highest you can get in 5s form they are rated 30c 240a capable but generally for longevity a 1/4 of the actual rating is better used for good life which is still 60a continuous. Though as £60 odd each for a kids bike a similar priced 10s 10ah lion will do the job, I can though see the advantage of using the 5S for RC stuff if the pack size fits.

With my Graphene 10s 8ah lipo's I get about 25mile range with 3.6v - 4.1v SOC per cell, the advantage with lipo for a lot of users is the price point compared to lion especially if you already have the chargers etc,etc.

Hobbyking use to be the go to place for high capacity packs and a favourite among ebike users due to the price but you do have to put up with their at times poor CS.
Thanks for all the info, but I think i'll run with Li-ion and get an entry level off-the-shelf kit with about 8ah capacity. Any tips for a budget option as it maybe something that my son doesnt use a whole lot and keen to keep costs down.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With lion or any lithium chem you need to use it often or monitor it when not in use.
I keep mine in a cold dry garage when not in use and check the voltage every now and then for SOC and self discharge. The trick when not being used is to ensure SOC is between 3.6v - 3.85v per cell group for better life expectancy.

Most common base entry capacity is 10ah/360wh for 36v lion.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the controller current/ rating ?
It should be marked on the controller label.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 8ah Zippy's will be fine for ebike use but does depend on how you mount and protect them from possible damage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A rack one will work but extra expense and handling suffers a little.
A triangle one fitted to the bottle mounts is best, look for downtube type battery then measure the triangle space to ensure it would fit with about 20mm clearance to lift off the mounting receiver.