King Meter Error 30 Kudos Typhoon

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Any ideas how to diagnose an Error 30 (Unusual Communications) error on the King Meter ?

My bike is a recent Kudos Typhoon - never had the fault before & it worked great last night. Battery is showing as fully charged.

Any ideas where I start ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Error 30 on the King Meter LCD can come from 3 possible sources, LCD, controller, trunk cable. It could be caused by rain water getting into the electrics. Take out the LCD, remove the plastic cover for the LCD battery from the under side then put the LCD in a plastic bag with some rice grain. Leave the bag in the airing cupboard over night for the LCD to dry out. If that does not work, you'll need to borrow from Kudos a new LCD to test.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Hi Trex, thanks for the reply. Definitely not water ingress, that leaves the controller or King Meter its self ?

I've taken the cover off the controller box on the downtube & disconnected & re-connected all the cables I can to no avail. At least I know its only a little 14A controller now on that big BPM motor.

Anything else to consider ?

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hi Tex, thanks for the reply. Definitely not water ingress, that leaves the controller or King Meter its self ?

I've taken the cover off the controller box on the downtube & disconnected & re-connected all the cables I can to no avail. At least I know its only a little 14A controller now on that big BPM motor.

Anything else to consider ?
None of the buttons are sticking are they? The up, down and mode buttons I mean. I've de restricted the speed on my typhoon a few times, sometimes if I've not pressed the buttons correctly I get the error code.
I'm probably wrong but you never know.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
No, all seem to be fine - I used the bike only the night before and it was fab. Really missing it.......

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you've tried the easy diagnostics, you now need access to spares.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Spoke to Kudos this morning who suggested it should be fairly easy easy to sort - they think that its probably a brake sensor issue at the rear of the bike or a speed sensor issue (on the back wheel) - apparently its just a case of elimination