Kit supplied front light test

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I have a supplied front light with my yose power kit that comes on then drops to about 5% power then 100%. Looks like it's randomly flashing.
It has a 3 pin red plug connector.
I can use a multimeter with basic knowledge, so how should I go about testing?
I've looked at plugs and used some silicone grease to seal but that's not fixed the problem. I'm thinking it's rain getting in somewhere or a light fault with a dry joint? I maybe wrong though. Scratching my head as I can't effect light by moving cables when light is on, or blowing warm air in plugs and reseating them.
Thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is your light connected to the controller or to your battery? If it's one of these:

...it looks to me like one of the same 6V-80V lights supplied with some Bafang BBS01B kits. I'd remove the battery, and test the light indepedently using a basic 6V-12V power supply. They don't draw much current, shouldn't overload the average wall wart. If the light doesn't turn on, reverse polarity. It's got a connector - I'd carefully use paperclips, bend them to the side and tape them on so they don't touch, before connecting the power supply.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Yeah that's it's. It's no good for lighting up ahead though. I'm thinking about options if light has fault. Not going to buy another as I have descent lights

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah that's it's. It's no good for lighting up ahead though. I'm thinking about options if light has fault. Not going to buy another as I have descent lights
Yes, totally useless for lighting up ahead - I've still got two, one points back at my hi-viz jacket or blouson from the handlebar, it's narrow beam is perfect for that, doesn't dazzle drivers behind. The other will be made red and situated on the passing corner of my Homcom bike trailer, maybe also the Carry Freedom.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update.
40v constant power coming from controller so must be light fault. I'm surprised at the 40v reading as I thought it was 6v? What the meter showed.

I'm thinking about not bothering with original light and using a battery light. I have some including a powerful £100 head torch with rechargeable battery which came with handlebar mount. That and my powerbank light will be two upfront.
That will do.

How to cap cable plug? Thought I had a rubber cap but no Idea where it is....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Update.
How to cap cable plug? Thought I had a rubber cap but no Idea where it is....
Is it situated low on the bike, likely to get splashed with mud? If not, I'd simply wrap some self-amalgamating rubber tape around to form a cap. If so, in addition I'd cover that with 4:1 self-adhesive marine heat shrink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
That's all my amalgamating tape used up.
Fitted an old Silva head torch which is 400 lumins but cable was brittle so wrapped amalgamating tape around it.
The trouble with conversation kits is all the cables.
Brake x 2
Throttle ( currently disconnected because... See below..)
Display
Lights x 2
Break cables x 2

It's like riding spaghetti. Ha
This will definitely light up the path.

Old light plug taped up.

For another thread but a policemen stands on a bridge I ride over with a ray gun once a week in the morning, he gives me the once over. I'm expecting to get stopped one morning soon. He parks the police car some distance away and walks to bridge with gotcha gun. Must coin it in as that section of bypass is 60mph down to 30mph.
Yose kits sound like a milk float... Alerts him I'm coming

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
+1 on the spiral wrap.. 90 cm lengths via ali express are dirt cheap too. longer lengths are a pita to wrap/unwrap, BUT YOU CAN and the re-wrap is just as neat as the original.. just take your timer a twist is easy to introduce and wii require backtracking to the point of error.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used mesh cable tidy, the same sort used inside PCs. Protects thin wires within the cables from being broken by tight zipties, evening presssure over a larger cable surface area. I bought mine from Amazon, but it's a smidge cheaper on ebay.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This will definitely light up the path.

Old light plug taped up.
I've yet to try this inexpensive 12 LED light with my 26" wheeled folding Dahon Espresso on the road, because I haven't got around to assembling the Espresso, but it looks like a contender testing indoors. Not as bright as my "1800LM" headlights and rear light, but brighter than any battery powered (this one has inbuilt lithium ion. I think it's likely the cells are replaceable, I'll open it up to investigate when the old ones die) headlight I've used (bear in mind I have only ever bought cheapos). Also functions as a power bank. The horn is crap, unfit for purpose.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Just buy a decent rechargeable light

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
IMO better off with front and rear lights running off the main bike battery, so you've always got them and they've always got power.

If you're using it on the roads/cyclepaths you need a front light that has a cut off to the light pattern so you don't dazzle everyone coming towards you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0150_01.JPG

lightbulbs activate :p

tree not on fire = its not good enough :(