Knobblys that don't wear on roads?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I ride a lot of roads but sometimes visit some pretty loose muddy gravelly stuff, the hybrid tyres just weren't cutting it. I got some cheap eBay neutral tyres and while the grip is excellent the road is chewing through the rear knobs at an alarming rate. Is there anything not too pricey that will last a bit longer with all round use?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My Scott e genius came with Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 29x2.35. and I have done 3000 mostly road miles with the front showing little wear but the rear was obviously worn. I do a lot of big fast downhills resulting in hard slowdowns and I have never felt unsafe, and offroad they are fine.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Was looking at those, not sure if they would feel safe on the most dodgy terrain but would probably fare better than the last hybrid tyres I ran. Something like those in a wider flatter profile would be perfect I think. I've used conti double fighters in the past good grip but still not as durable as I'd like due to thin centre tread

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've had reasonable wear out of schwable Hans dumpf on rear, go for speed casing, harder wearing. They roll surprisely well for knobby. For less aggressive tyres try racing ralph, rocket ron or smart sam , again for speed versions.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Schwable knobblys I've done 2000 miles and only the centere has worn on the rear wheel about a quarter down I'm carful to try not to skid but ride hard all the time. I do have disk brakes and that helps but I'll be paying the extra for these tires when they need replaceing there worth the money. Mine are tubeless ready so cost more than standard tires but again there worth the money if you can go tubeless because I must have pulled 30 thorns out of each tire. I'm going to swap the front for the rear tire soon to put off buying new. Mine are rocket Ron evo

Last edited:

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
My nobbie nick tyres lasted well on the road but were rubbish off road. My maxxis minions are way better off road but won't last at all on the road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
on the rear i wont fit anything other than super g tyres as there so thick its the only thing i can run 25psi and not rip it off the rim.

the down side is fitting it:mad::mad: