Komoot ....Very impressed

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
I am looking to keep off the road as much as possible on my newly acquired Woosh Rio. I have found a great alternative route for my commute using the komoot android app. The route uses loads of paved paths through places I would never think of using. I have yet to use the satnav part of it in anger. I guess it will navigate you as Waze or google maps does?

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Never heard of them but just looked on their website. Do they charge a one off fee to use or is it a subscription?
Is the a free trial to test it?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
It’s a free app and I’ve been using it for years. Some times to plan a route if I’m leading a ride but mostly I use it to record where I’ve been :cool:

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
I haven't signed up to free trial or anything. I have a saved route. I will see what happens tonight on the navigation side of it. I have noticed when you plan your route you can use google maps as an overlay which is very smart.

Last edited:

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I haven't signed up to free trial or anything. I have a saved a route I will see what happens tonight on the navigation side of it. I have noticed when you plan your route you can use google maps as an overlay which is very smart.
Ok, I say that because their website only seemed to offer a paid product - I will try the app - probably you pay for more options?

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
As long as you don't sign up for free trial you should be good to go on the app.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
It’s a free app
The app is free, but in terms of using it, it depends.

Some feature are free. Some are not.

Also, the mapping is split over regions. They give you one region free, but then you have to pay if you want to use it further afield or worldwide.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
When I bought the full region unlock it was about £20 for the whole world. This allows you to download as many regions as you like (space permitting) so you can use the routes offline without using any data. Well worth it in my opinion.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Looks like they charge per region now. They are quite big areas so not too bad as long as you aren’t on the border of several regions.

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
I am constantly pleasantly surprised by Komoot. It takes me through my town through bike-friendly routes I had no idea existed. It’s excellent and the routing works well. Komoot makes its money through you purchasing maps. I missed the email that came when I signed up, offering maps at a substantial discount and ended up paying £30 for lifetime access to world maps, which can be downloaded in chunks. Route planning works online, then you download for offline use. I tell it my style is bike touring and off I go. It’s perfect for me.

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
I like Komoot, but be aware that it does seem to consider footpaths fair game for cycling. Where I live I have basically zero cycle infrastructure apart from the towpaths so when I’m planning a run into the countryside I double check with OS that it’s a BOAT or bridleway and adjust accordingly if necessary.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I like Komoot, but be aware that it does seem to consider footpaths fair game for cycling. Where I live I have basically zero cycle infrastructure apart from the towpaths so when I’m planning a run into the countryside I double check with OS that it’s a BOAT or bridleway and adjust accordingly if necessary.
Lots of town councils have cycling maps which will extend well outside of central urban developments, which can be useful, but regarding rights of way there is no joined up mapping.
I use the OS25K maps on PC and phone alongside the Open Cycle Map and the local council’s Definitive ROW map (not always available online). All are slightly different but even with all of this the only time you come across a permissive bridleway is when you bump into the signpost.