Kona Africabike Conversion

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Looks like my next project will be to convert a Kona Africabike three to electric.

The Africa is basically a rugged utility machine:

Step through frame.
3 speed nexus hub gears.
Back pedal rear brake.
Front V brake.
Rear rack is part of the frame.
26" wheels, chunky tires.
7005 frame, steel fork.

You could also call it a cruiser.

Current (rough) plan is to use a 250 watt 8fun front hub motor, with a controller and 10ah 36v li-ion on the rack. Control will be via pedal sensor and throttle. Lights fed from battery will be included.

Probably build a wooden box to house battery/controller on the rack. This will double as a passenger seat, with a cushion of some sort on top.

Will get a few pics up when the bike arrives.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Back-pedal brake!
Blimey, haven't used one of them since my Mongoose BMX back in the very early Eighties!!

Can't wait to see it.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ok, here we go.

I have successfully installed a kit onto the Africabike, in order to test things. Rough n ready for the moment but working perfectly.

The wife is over the moon with it!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Aside from a bit of tidying up, the picture above where this is project has finished, as she's decided a rear seat not required.

Really easy conversion, and highly recommended as a donor bike.

Time for the next build....

Last edited:

MaddBike

Just Joined
May 18, 2020
Aside from a bit of tidying up, the picture above where this is project has finished, as she's decided a rear seat not required.

Really easy conversion, and highly recommended as a donor bike.

Time for the next build....
Hi Alan, I know this is a super old post, but I just bought my wife a Kona Africabike for her birthday last summer, and I'd like to do a conversion on it for this summer. I've never done a conversion before, so I'm just wondering if you can point me in the right direction of what kit and accessories worked so great for you. I do have Ego 56v batteries from my lawn equipment that I'd like to utilize for the project as well.

Thanks!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi Alan, I know this is a super old post, but I just bought my wife a Kona Africabike for her birthday last summer, and I'd like to do a conversion on it for this summer. I've never done a conversion before, so I'm just wondering if you can point me in the right direction of what kit and accessories worked so great for you. I do have Ego 56v batteries from my lawn equipment that I'd like to utilize for the project as well.

Thanks!
Hi MaddBike,

If yours is the same as mine you need a 26" front wheel kit, as the rear wheel has a 3 speed hub setup. I don't think a CD kit will work either, as not a standard bottom bracket.

The rack on the back is very sturdy, as its part of the fram, so a good position to mount a battery in a bag or box.

My wifes one (in the pics) is still running to this day, although my son if now far to big to ride on the back.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

This is how it ended up, with a custom made wooden seat on the back, and foot pegs. He went to school like this for years.

Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

Thanks!
What's the fully charged voltage of the 56V pack? May influence controller decisions...