KT Controller for Xiongda YTW-06?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I know a couple of members here tried out the Xiongda YTW-06 motor a while back when it first came to market. I'm looking to see if it's feasible to use a current controlled KT with maybe the small LCD4 display?

This is a new 20" wheel Fiido D11 folding bike (link). It's pretty basic in many respects - cable disc brakes, 7sp Tourney gears, and speed control using Fiido's own OEM controller and display. The bike does however do exactly what I wanted it do (easy/light to sling around on and off trains involving no more than 7 miles riding between) so for that reason it's proving excellent as a cheap throw-around alternative to using taxis.

I'm going to thrash it a bit for now, but I'd like to update the brakes/derailleur (easily done) and controller & display to a KT (if that's possible) later. In addition to the normal crank cadence sensor (left side), there's a throttle (works all the time to a no-load speed of 20mph) but no "walk" mode, and (I presume) a 5v tap for fitted lights and "beep" horn. There's a couple of floating/unconnected wires in the loom/off the controller too. Soldering/Meters/Heat shrink - no problems.

PIC_0091.JPGPIC_0093.JPGPIC_0095.JPG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It needs a special high speed controller because of the high internal reduction ration, which means very high frequency communtation. The standard KT controller can't do it.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Thanks vfr. Any alternatives to achieve current control that you know of?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There is a KT one, but it must have special software.
Might it be the "KT36" used with a YTW-06 referenced on the German forum - apparently orderable from Amazon.de? Is there a model or serial no. or identifier you'd have so I'd know what I'm looking for? I did see the comment about Xiongda not dealing with individuals anymore, but they might point me to a wholesaler who'd already bought a batch from them for resale.

It's not the end of the world if it's impracticable to change the controller/display: The bike isn't my main "ride", and for what little it cost the Fiido meets all the criteria I need... but it'd be nice to do.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Might it be the "KT36" used with a YTW-06 referenced on the German forum - apparently orderable from Amazon.de? Is there a model or serial no. or identifier you'd have so I'd know what I'm looking for? I did see the comment about Xiongda not dealing with individuals anymore, but they might point me to a wholesaler who'd already bought a batch from them for resale.

It's not the end of the world if it's impracticable to change the controller/display: The bike isn't my main "ride", and for what little it cost the Fiido meets all the criteria I need... but it'd be nice to do.
I went out to look, then I remembered how long it took to get all the cablesand connectors into the storage compartment. I haven't got time at the moment. I'll try tomorrow.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I went out to look, then I remembered how long it took to get all the cablesand connectors into the storage compartment. I haven't got time at the moment. I'll try tomorrow.
If yours is not readily to hand, please don't go to that trouble. It's enough to know it's not standard, but one is available - thank you for that advice. I can whack off an email to KT and/or Xiongda to ask part numbers/identifiers and then fish around to see if/where one may be available. There's nothing urgent about this: The bike is new and works fine.

I'm really only asking now because I needed to open the controller housing anyway to fit the rear mudguard (a mounting bolt/locking nut fits through the frame and into that housing).

How easy do you think the KT controller would be to substitute?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Xiongda KT controller is likely a special customer custom model suited for the Xiongda, a bit like the cycletricity ones which have the 250/1000w derestriction mode and P6 setting.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The Xiongda KT controller is likely a special customer custom model suited for the Xiongda
Yes, it likely is. Fiido seem to use their own proprietary branded parts almost exclusively (brakes, BB's, saddles, bearings etc etc), including controllers/displays. But most of their bike models seem to use those same interchangeable parts. The controller fitted here is marked "Type D11" - i.e. a special model for this D11 bike only and listed as a separate/unique spare part on their website. So it's not generic - and it's not like Fiido to go to that trouble unless it needed to be different.

If vfr has a KT one, and as you say, I'm guessing Xiongda would have worked with KT to design a controller especially to work with this tiny motor. I'll dig deeper.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also the LCD may be custom as well, the Cyclotricity is a custom one as it has a P6 setting which generic ones don't have.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes, good point Neal. Thanks. I'll ask them that too when I email KT/Xiongda: Hopefully something other than the larger LCD3 etc display is workable, as that would be too cumbersome on such a small folder (especially given the rotating handlebar clasp & folding stem).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, good point Neal. Thanks. I'll ask them that too when I email KT/Xiongda: Hopefully something other than the larger LCD3 etc display is workable, as that would be too cumbersome on such a small folder (especially given the rotating handlebar clasp & folding stem).
I've got an LCD5 on mine because that's what Xiongda gave me with it. I can't see why the LCD software would be any different to standard, soI'd bet my life that you could use whichever you want.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I got mine from Xiongda direct (with the motor a few years ago), here’s a picture.

FDA7B474-02D7-4148-BDC2-E1A4510A0E1D.jpeg

Reactions: cyclebuddy

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Standard LCD5 display.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's brilliant Jonah - Thanks. Model KT36ZWSR-XD01C. Hopefully that works with LCD4. I'll check with Xiongda.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting so the XD01C likely donates that it is a Xiongda V.01 Custom designation ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
For the sake of completeness, I've just found a video tutorial that shows how it can be done with this Fiido D11 e-bike:

Reactions: Scorpio

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
For the sake of completeness, I've just found a video tutorial that shows how it can be done with this Fiido D11 e-bike:

As already said, that won't work with the Xiongda YTW-06 unless you can get the special XD version of the controller.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm listening. I do hear you. But the video shows him fitting a KT36/48SVPRD-HRD01 (sine) controller into his Fiido D11 with the Xiongda YTW-06 motor. If he's wrecked it, would he still post this video? Or is the HRD01 just a newer version of the XD01-C? He also shows a KT36ZWSR-TY01C (square) listed as specifically for the YTW-06.

TBH, I'm now not sure making the change matters... This first batch of D11's imported directly into the UK (already sold out in 4 weeks) has various subtle changes to most of those used in reviews (frame welding, painting, seat-post clamp, stem angle changed, mudguards now included etc etc). I'm not sure if Fiido have changed the controller too because power seems to be applied differently to how it's described in those reviews. Maybe that has something to do with a D21 version of this same bike launching with a new Torque sensor rather than Cadence of the D11 (and they have a similar looking but up-market magnesium cast frame version called "Fiido X" in the pipeline too). I need to crank up more miles to decide... How that power is applied is not as restricting/frustrating as I imagined it would be. The YTW-06 certainly is a keen/eager little motor!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
So this morning I found a long straight stretch with a gradual incline; keeping this Fiido D11 in a mid gear and with a constant cadence, changing through the power modes of 1, 2, and 3, you can clearly feel the amount of power/assistance/current increasing in each mode - and not being capped by speed as several reviewers have implied (assumed?) - remembering those review bikes were from initial production batches in the Summer/Autumn of 2020.

It definitely feels to me that the controller is working by "current" and not "speed limited" (on my later version anyway), making the whole idea of changing it to a KT unnecessary. I was pretty convinced I was going to have to change it.

If anyone else here has/considers a D11, I'd say it's also worth changing the wheel diameter from 20" to 12.4" (P2): It means the "KPH" only display then reads properly in "MPH" and the ODO in miles. The motor then assists up to about 18mph - which according to Xiongda specs is about all you'll get from this little lightweight motor in a 20" wheel. The legality is mute - there's already an "always powered" thumb throttle.