Help! KTM E8 error

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
I searched on here for info and found the following: E8 Hall IC error Check the cable connections between the battery holder (contains the controller) and the motor unit. Take the electric bicycle to your dealer. I bought it from KTM on this site from a chap called Colin. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
KTM panasonic rear hub E8 problem. Not battery but display says E8 error. Can anyone help please? Thanks
I am nosy, can you post your reasons for saying:- " Not battery but...."?
As a major percentage of e-bike problems can eventually be put down to battery and other "power" type problems.
Misreading of the many reasons why the charge LED is green and the battery is actually empty, is a prime example.
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If a hall error then likely it is a failed motor hall, did the e street l use a CANbus system ?
If so if sealed connectors were used not sure if you can tap in to the wiring for checking hall voltages.

Reactions: Staffordshirehills

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You get that error when the controller can't see one or more of the hall sensor signals. Typical reasons are:
1 Connection fault, like corroded or loose connector, or motor connector not fully pushed together.
2. Damaged motor cable, especially where it comes out of the axle.
3. Water in the motor shorting out the halls.
4. Wire from the hall sensor rubbed against the motor inside the hub
5. Rare these days, but halls can just fail, especially if they get too hot from climbing up long hills too slowly.

The hall sensors are very cheap to buy and not too difficult to replace if you can solder and you can get the motor apart. I think it has a removal side-plate, so should be straightforward.

Reactions: Pedant peddler

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
I am nosy, can you post your reasons for saying:- " Not battery but...."?
As a major percentage of e-bike problems can eventually be put down to battery and other "power" type problems.
Misreading of the many reasons why the charge LED is green and the battery is actually empty, is a prime example.
regards
Andy

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Hi Andy, I have two bikes and so swapped the batteries to check. I think it's as the others have indicated below - E8 error. I will contact KTM distributors tomorrow and see if they know someone who can sort. The bikes have been excellent so far so I'm hoping it can be mended.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy, I have two bikes and so swapped the batteries to check. I think it's as the others have indicated below - E8 error. I will contact KTM distributors tomorrow and see if they know someone who can sort. The bikes have been excellent so far so I'm hoping it can be mended.
Clever move and thanks for the explanation.
regards
Andy

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Good timing possibly as I fixed this on a KTM eStreet p last week. The 6 pin connection on the chain stay had corroded (outer ground shield braid had disconnected due to corrosion) . The protective neoprene cover had been holding moisture and this was fairly obvious upon removal due to the green deposits. Electrical meter confirmed disconnection, currently bypassed with temporary (permanent) jumper wire until I verify the cost of a replacement cable.

Last edited:

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Good timing possibly as I fixed this on a KTM eStreet p last week. The 6 pin connection on the chain stay had corroded (outer ground shield braid had disconnected due to corrosion) . The protective neoprene cover had been holding moisture and this was fairly obvious upon removal due to the green deposits. Electrical meter confirmed disconnection, currently bypassed with temporary (permanent) jumper wire until I verify the cost of a replacement cable.
View attachment 36316
Thanks - have you any more pics please? I’m a bit hopeless

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
More photos will be available later though I managed to persuade the wife to take it to work today (she was suitably impressed). Happy to answer any questions meantime. If you are contacting KTM, the cable required is the one running from the battery/controller to the chain stay connector carrying the 6 pin signal connector and the 3 pin motor connectors. The break is likely to be where the ground sheath is exposed just as it exits the insulation.
Yellow circled are is where I suspect you will find the corrosion /disconnection. Carefully cut back the heat shrink, ground sheath is gathered and heat shrinked within. The heat shrink is fantastic at retaining moisture. 36327

Last edited:

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
May I ask who you contacted? I’ve just spoken to Colin at FLI distribution who I bought two KTM bikes from and apparently they don’t deal with Panasonic motors anymore so was told to look at Panasonic website if I needed info. A bit disappointing really as the bike is only about 6 years old and has done very little mileage. Hey ho.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Also, do you know what the circled box is? My other e cross p doesn’t have it as far as I can tellView attachment 36328
That connector in the picture is quite thick IMO, on my e-bike it is relatively tiny/thin, really not much thicker than the cable running to it. So if you are looking for one as in the picture, it may be far smaller....
I myself overlooked it completely the time my LCD took in rain water, and I had to remove it from the bike, dry it out and re-seal it.
I was really relieved to find that connector, as it would have taken a lot longer to achieve the needed result without it!
Just a possible thought!;)
Andy

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Could the problem be in that box? I’m useless
The box on the cable running from the display is a ferrite core, it should be able to slide up and down the cable (mine does at least), it's not related to the fault. I have not yet contacted KTM as the repair I effected is likely to last though their apparent dis-interest is concerning. You need to check electrical continuity on the black wire (from my first photo) running back to the connector at the battery junction. A good bike shop (or even a handy electrician) should be able to manage.