KTM Macina Cross 10 CX4 for Sale

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
KTM Macina Cross 10 CX4

51” Frame with “Comfort Cross Bar” in Titan Grey

I bought this bike at the back end of last year and it wasn't used due to "health reasons" and I wouldn't take it out onto "salted roads".

It has approx 150 miles on the clock and can only be described as "as new".

The only reason I’m selling is because I’m having a replacement knee and have been advised to get a “Step Through” frame.

Briefly:

Bosch Performance Line Motor and Intuvia LCD with Walk Assist

I believe this motor increase effort by 300%

Bosch 400 AH battery

Shimano Deore 10 speed derailleur gears

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Suntour suspension forks

Wheel Size 700

Weight 20.4 kg

Extras:

Luggage Rack

Mudguards

Folding Pedals

“Café” Wheel Lock

upload_2017-5-24_16-36-27.png

upload_2017-5-24_16-36-59.png

Dealer told me to ask £1500 but £1300 seems more sensible!

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
KTM Macina Cross 10 CX4

51” Frame with “Comfort Cross Bar” in Titan Grey

I bought this bike at the back end of last year and it wasn't used due to "health reasons" and I wouldn't take it out onto "salted roads".

It has approx 150 miles on the clock and can only be described as "as new".

The only reason I’m selling is because I’m having a replacement knee and have been advised to get a “Step Through” frame.

Briefly:

Bosch Performance Line Motor and Intuvia LCD with Walk Assist

I believe this motor increase effort by 300%

Bosch 400 AH battery

Shimano Deore 10 speed derailleur gears

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Suntour suspension forks

Wheel Size 700

Weight 20.4 kg

Extras:

Luggage Rack

Mudguards

Folding Pedals

“Café” Wheel Lock

View attachment 19377

View attachment 19378

Dealer told me to ask £1500 but £1300 seems more sensible!
Why don't you keep it until you're ready to cycle again and see if it's ok with the new knee. If not then sell it. If you can cope then you've saved a lot of money.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF, Gaz and BigG

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Why don't you keep it until you're ready to cycle again and see if it's ok with the new knee. If not then sell it. If you can cope then you've saved a lot of money.
To be honest I was mis-sold the bike..... I hadn't been on a bike for 45 years and loved getting back on a bike.... they said it was the right size but in reality it's too small..... I'm 6'7" and after the "honeymoon period" with it I find I can't get the pedal in the right position on my foot... i tried a set back seat post and it was a lot better but it affected the balance badly as the steering was too light...
Also I have a very week knee anyway as I had my kneecap removed and I find getting on and off a bit wobbly anyway!
Thank you so much for the advice anyway.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A mate of mine had a knee done and found he couldn't get the foot of that leg to sit square on the pedal.

For a while, he rode with his heel and the rest of his foot pointing outwards.

That's got better over time - months - and he now rides pretty much as normal.

We are all different, and the outcome of joint surgery varies.

But it does seem a bit previous to sell the bike just yet.

I'm also not sure of the advice to get a step through.

Going back to my mate, the position of the cross bar had no impact one way or the other.

It's often said a bike that's too big cannot be made smaller, but a bike that's a bit too small can be made bigger.

Three points of contact on a bike - saddle, pedals, and handlebars.

The pedals cannot be moved, but the 'bars and saddle can.

Neither look particularly high on your bike, so I wonder if it is too small for you.

A bigger bike would have a longer reach, but you could achieve that by changing the stem.

• Informative
Reactions: BigG

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Hi Rob.. thanks for the info about your friend. I hear what you say about bike size... I cannot get my foot in the correct position on the pedals - they sit under my instep. - I tried a setback seatpost but it made the steering too light ( perhaps it's the fact I'm 18.5 stone and my weight too far back doesn't help!
The saddle height in the picture was lowered for the advert so it didn't look at a silly height!
Quite honestly I find at present with one knee worn badly and the other without kneecap and "bone grating on bone" l am very unstable getting on and off the bike!
I appreciate your suggestions, I really do.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If it has to be a new bike, I suggest a trip to Cycle Heaven in York.

They stock Gazelle, top quality proper Dutch ebikes which have Dutch roadster geometry which may suit.

There is also the rather unusual Balance ebike, sometimes called a 'flat foot'.

The saddle is set back which enables you to put your feet flat on the ground while still having proper leg extension when your feet are on the pedals.

Low, open frame, too, so there cannot be a bike that's easier to mount and dismount.

Cycle Heaven has one in stock - and other Gazelle ebikes.

In your case, try before you buy is essential.

You could certainly have a sit on one, and the chances are you'd be allowed to take it for a spin around the block.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/brands/gazelle/gazelle-balance-c7-hfp-unisex/

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Wow... it looks amazing. Thanks for the link. A friend got his bikes there and says they were very helpful indeed

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Wow... it looks amazing. Thanks for the link. A friend got his bikes there and says they were very helpful indeed
Decent cafe, too, so if nothing else it would be a nice bike-related day out.

If you are seriously considering a Balance bike, try to assess if it has enough poke for your needs.

You live in a very up and down area, and I'm not sure how powerful the hub motor is on the Balance.

I tried a Gazelle hub bike a few years ago, and the motor was a bit weaker than the Bosch.

Possibly because it's designed for Holland which is relatively flat, although you do get wind.

York is also flat, so it's unlikely you will be able to test the bike on a stiff gradient.

Reactions: BigG

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Thanks so much for the advice. I will visit York to check out the Gazelle, it sounds interesting and a good trip out. However we do live in a very hilly area so I'll check out the Gazelle power.
On reflection I think I'll follow suggestions from a few members... I think I'll hang fire and see how I am after rehab. So I'll take the KTM off sale and enjoy it!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
SURPRISE!
My wife has just told me she's fed up with leaflets about bikes being left on the coffee table... so she has ordered me a Cube Hybrid Pro 500 as an early birthday surprise!

So my KTM is back on the market!

Reactions: IR772

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Yes the bike my wife has ordered is a step through! ..... so I'll be much more stable getting on an off!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
If it has to be a new bike, I suggest a trip to Cycle Heaven in York.

They stock Gazelle, top quality proper Dutch ebikes which have Dutch roadster geometry which may suit.

There is also the rather unusual Balance ebike, sometimes called a 'flat foot'.

The saddle is set back which enables you to put your feet flat on the ground while still having proper leg extension when your feet are on the pedals.

Low, open frame, too, so there cannot be a bike that's easier to mount and dismount.

Cycle Heaven has one in stock - and other Gazelle ebikes.

In your case, try before you buy is essential.

You could certainly have a sit on one, and the chances are you'd be allowed to take it for a spin around the block.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/brands/gazelle/gazelle-balance-c7-hfp-unisex/
Hi Rob
As can be seen above... some time ago you mentioned Cycle Heaven in York and how helpful they are... well I’d like to thank you for the recommendation as I’m now the proud owner of a six speed Electric Brompton! They were so helpful and their test track (long stay station car park) is huge. I’m very impressed and it was definitely worth the near two hour drive to get there.... I’m now nearly £3k poorer but it’s fantastic physio for my new knee.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Rob
As can be seen above... some time ago you mentioned Cycle Heaven in York and how helpful they are... well I’d like to thank you for the recommendation as I’m now the proud owner of a six speed Electric Brompton! They were so helpful and their test track (long stay station car park) is huge. I’m very impressed and it was definitely worth the near two hour drive to get there.... I’m now nearly £3k poorer but it’s fantastic physio for my new knee.
I hadn't thought of a Brompton, but they are easier to get on and off than any big wheel bike.

Should be good physio as you say because I suspect the motor isn't particularly powerful.

Members on here would be interested in a review when you've done a few miles.