Kudos Not Impressed (Resolved)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
ps,I recently had a new Sky dish installed,they are not allowed to drill through brick or a door frame,so the 'engineer' drilled through the door!!!!! I asked him how could I open the door,your problem mate!!!!
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
....life's one long holiday for you Dave :)

Bobbing around on his yacht I expect.

To be serious, his reply was more than fair, so a bit of, er, kudos to Kudos Dave.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Well i have managed to try the bike out, did try to post in Bike Review section but its not showing, anyway i took the chain guard off just in case it fell off before the replacement part arrives. i think it may a while to get used to the bike, its bigger than i thought it would be, not to bad with seat on lowest setting, although i may replace the seat post with a solid one if i think it may be better lower, cant see i would notice any difference with one and the sprung one fitted. One thing i did not realise with it is that as soon as you stop peddling the motor cuts off, i don't really like this at all, its a bit of a nuisance, is there any mod i could do to stop this, i understand why it cuts out when braking, its probably the only thing that's putting me off. I am also not really used to the gears yet, they did slip a lot at first, but seem to be ok now, motor also gets a bit noisy at times, but this could be because its new, can someone explain why there is a Automatic button above the three speed settings, it doesn't seem to do anything, i would also say its not to good on moderate inclines,or maybe I'm not using the bike properly with the speed settings and gears etc.. This is were a user handbook would have come in handy !! were not all experts. I'm much happier now its on the road, hoping something can be sorted out with the motor cut out, maybe some sort of mod or fitting a throttle will do it. I will keep it for a while and see how it goes. One thing i have learned is my next e bike will be bought local after a decent test ride, and no i'm not knocking Kudos, it was my decision to buy online, and to buy Kudos, they have come good in the end, but i really should have tried before buying. No doubt i will be on here asking advice again soon

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Whatever Shimano say, their hub gears do not change well under load in my experience.

I stop pedalling and pedal back a fraction to change on the move.

It soon becomes second nature.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
One thing i did not realise with it is that as soon as you stop peddling the motor cuts off, i don't really like this at all, its a bit of a nuisance,
....isn't that normal, you stop pedalling and the bike coasts...as I'd expect.
.....but, no doubt you're very young....life get's tougher, believe me. :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
i would also say its not to good on moderate inclines,or maybe I'm not using the bike properly with the speed settings and gears etc.. This is were a user handbook would have come in handy !! were not all experts.
A user handbook isn't going to teach you how to ride a bike. Power settings and gears are as you would expect, the higher the power setting the more assistance you get, the higher the gear number, the higher the gear ratio.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Whatever Shimano say, their hub gears do not change well under load in my experience.

I stop pedalling and pedal back a fraction to change on the move.
Isn't the bike a front hub motor though? sorry I've not actually checked.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
....isn't that normal, you stop pedalling and the bike coasts...as I'd expect.
.....but, no doubt you're very young....life get's tougher, believe me. :)
I suppose what Den means is the bike doesn't have a separate throttle.

I thought that might bother me on the Rose/Bosch, but it doesn't.

Quite the reverse, my Brommie Nano is throttle only and having to keep that open is a bit of a pest on longer rides.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Isn't the bike a front hub motor though? sorry I've not actually checked.

It is, but changing the hub gear will still require the same technique.

Having said that, the Alfine hub on my Rose/Bosch changes a bit better with the motor switched off.

But I still reckon those hubs don't like changing under any load - human or electric.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
a slight lift of pressure is all that is needed at most I find on my none electric Nexus-8.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
A user handbook isn't going to teach you how to ride a bike. Power settings and gears are as you would expect, the higher the power setting the more assistance you get, the higher the gear number, the higher the gear ratio.
I guess if you've only ridden singlespeeds then gears could be confusing. But hub gears are easy to get used to.

Low gear = low resistance = good for climbing hills

Middle gear = middle resistance = good for ambling along on the flat

High gear = high resistance = good for getting extra speed going downhill off your own efforts

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you saying that the motor does or doesn't cut out straight away. If it does, you're lucky. You don't want it to keep going otherwise it unnerves you when you want to slow down.

I've been banking with Smile since they started. I used to recommend them to everyone until I tried an international bank transfer. The money disappeared and I had to ring them every day. They never rang me back even though they said they would. After a couple of weeks they said they would trace it for an additional cost of £20. I paid, and then they said that they couldn't find it. They wouldn't even give my £20 back. They just said that there's no guarantees with international transfers, so tough. I had to send a letter to the Chief executive to get some action. Finally, the money returned after three months. In the meantime, the rate changed adversely, so I lost £250. All the indications were that they never sent it. No explanation or compendation was offered, although I did get them to refund the £20. Their response was appalling all along. In fact one guy told me that they were having a lot of difficulties because they had cut the staff, but what he meant was that they were delibetately making life difficult for customers to prove a point.

I don't think you should try an international transfer with them. I think it would be too much for you.

Glad you've got your bike sorted, or at least a plan to get it sorted.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Quite the reverse, my Brommie Nano is throttle only and having to keep that open is a bit of a pest on longer rides.
If you don't have twist throttles then need to make a thumb throttle with no spring :). Just need a brake cutoff and don't forget to turn it off or hold the brake on when you stop. Grips provide enough resistance to set assistance at the level you want (infinitely variable across the range) and leave it alone. Makes long rides so much more pleasant on a throttle bike !

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Very young !!! Oh I wish, if I was I wouldn't want an e bike. I'm 65 and still working for a living, well for maybe 18 months, will call it a day then. Hoping this e bike I have may help improve my health a little. :) :) :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Denwyn, the bike is designed to cut out when you stop pedaling. If you want the motor to do all the work for a while, instead of stopping the pedals simply turn them very slowly so you're not doing any effort, the motor will keep going and take you along a flat road at normal speed. Good for when you're feeling tired/lazy.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello denwyn,

I am glad to hear that everything so far has been sorted until the part arrives and is fitted. Listen my friend you have all the right to feel slightly upset being that this is your first ebike treat, for some people money can be very difficult to come by these days only you can understand your personal circumstances.
Reading through your posts you had mentioned these few key words "I LIKED THE BIKE" which truly says it all.
In life at times when you really want something you have to eat humble pie, in this case taking a deep breath and patiently waiting for a response from Kudos which eventually they did to resolve the problem.
Owning and riding an electric bike is fun and very highly addictive, so get the part fit the part jump on and get riding.
Please do me a favour try and test ride your bike over a mountain and then over a mole hill to see how they compare:eek:

MS. Keep Strong and be yourself!

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
And of coarse motor will cut out at 15.5 mph(max speed) whether your peddling or not, if you want the motor to take more of the load, as said before just select a lower gear and just go through the motion of peddling which will keep the motor running until it reaches the legal maximum speed. I think you have got yourself a good bike at a cut-down price. :cool:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Very young !!! Oh I wish, if I was I wouldn't want an e bike. I'm 65 and still working for a living, well for maybe 18 months, will call it a day then. Hoping this e bike I have may help improve my health a little. :) :) :)
If I was nearby I would ride with you to help to improve your health more than a little.

MS.