Kudos Secret for petite female with ME/CFS?

SarahJane1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2020
Hey Everyone
The last time I rode a bike, I was probably about 16 and I am now 55! Together with that, I suffer with chronic fatigue due to ME/CFS, which I have had since I was 19, so I am very unfit, together with the symptoms. I think I also have a bit of arthritis in my ankles and feet, which can get very stiff. I am mostly housebound (even before the crisis) but try to get some gentle exercise inside the house and in the garden as much as I am able.
I want to be able to get to the local cemetery to visit my parents grave as much as I can. It's about two and a half miles away by car, which is too far for me to walk. I don't drive. I was taking taxis before the crisis but I am too scared of catching the virus in a taxi now. There is no bus which goes straight there but even if there was, again I would not want to go in one now.
I have considered a mobility scooter but they go so slow, so would take ages to get to the cemetery. Also, storage would be a problem and I don't much like the look of the folding ones.
I have been looking at the Kudos Secret folding electric bike. I am only 4ft 11 and a half inches tall, so it seems quite a good fit from that respect. I also like the idea of the 'twist and go' throttle, in case I can't manage to peddle all the time, which is likely for me, even with the peddle assist. Although, I have just read one review which said to be really careful until you are used to it. It said it can accelerate so fast and powerfully when setting off that the front wheel can lift if you overdo it. The thought of that scares me and would make me very apprehensive to try it at first! I like that it is folding, so I can store it more easily at home.
I have had one email from Kudos Cycles so far. They think it would be suitable for me but said the step-through might be a hassle for me, as it's 21 inches high. They also said the throttle would run the battery down too fast if used all the time. In my last reply, I asked whether I could try one out and return if not suitable, as I read here, they used to offer that service but I am not sure they do now with the Covid-19 crisis. Even when the shops open, it would be difficult for me to go and test drive some bikes, due to my illness. At the same time, I haven't got £800 to throw away, if the bike isn't suitable for me, or I find I can't even ride it!
I am extremely upset and frustrated that I can't get to the cemetery. Mum only passed away last June and she was my best friend. I would go every day if I could. I need to find a way to get there under my own steam. Well, on my own anyway.
Sorry for the long post and I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks guys!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hello and welcome, I've come back to this really just to say hello, I'm surprised you've not received any advice.
I've been e-biking for nearly 10 years, I also have ME/CFS, the bike I feel has been a huge help in improving my health. The only advice I have is to go for a bike with larger wheels because they're much more stable and comfortable than small wheels, I also thought I'd need a throttle which my first bike had, however I never really used it, it was more comfortable and less tiring to gently pedal rather than just sitting there, my current bike doesn't have a throttle but I'm in a very different position health wise than I imagine you are after a hard 11 year battle against the illness to regain my former fitness.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh bikes speak to Hatti or Tony about the Rambletta step thru folding bike, though you may be too late as stock is down to the last couple of bikes. Like many vendors/dealers stock up and down the country is low due to the Covid and production.

The Secret for your needs will be fine as the pedal cadence type sensor will be more advantageous for your health.

The 2 -3 miles or so will be easily achievable on throttle alone if you need to do so, the battery at 10.4ah x 36v has a capacity of 374wh. A reasonable fit rider would get about 28 - 36 miles out of it, so even with your lower fitness and health issues you will have no issue with range and should achieve about 18 or more I would say on throttle alone.

The control will be either 3 or 5 power levels so if worried about the front wheel lifting start off in the lowest power level then once moving adjust up to the next power level, after a bit of use/familiarisation you will soon get use to the bike.

For any ebike don't leave the bike fully charged all the time when not in use, for battery longevity only charge it to 40 - 70%. Charge fully before use again, if using daily then you can charge every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

SarahJane1

May 25, 2020
Hello and welcome, I've come back to this really just to say hello, I'm surprised you've not received any advice.
I've been e-biking for nearly 10 years, I also have ME/CFS, the bike I feel has been a huge help in improving my health. The only advice I have is to go for a bike with larger wheels because they're much more stable and comfortable than small wheels, I also thought I'd need a throttle which my first bike had, however I never really used it, it was more comfortable and less tiring to gently pedal rather than just sitting there, my current bike doesn't have a throttle but I'm in a very different position health wise than I imagine you are after a hard 11 year battle against the illness to regain my former fitness.
Hello Artstu
Many thanks for your warm welcome and sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you. I really appreciated/appreciate the advice of a fellow sufferer. It's great to read of your improvement!
I didn't hear back from Kudos Cycles about trying out the Secret. I have been meaning to email them again about it but been low with the ME.
I have read that before about larger wheels being more comfortable and stable. The thing is, I want a folding bike. Not only for storage but because it would fit in a car boot if I was feeling too unwell to ride home. I could call someone or a taxi to pick me up (when this crisis is over). Does the fact that I am very petite make a difference with the smaller wheels (I am 4ft 11 and a half tall and weigh about 7 st 10)?
That is interesting about your experience of the throttle/pedalling. I can't say if I would feel the same until I try it.
Thanks again!

SarahJane1

May 25, 2020
Woosh bikes speak to Hatti or Tony about the Rambletta step thru folding bike, though you may be too late as stock is down to the last couple of bikes. Like many vendors/dealers stock up and down the country is low due to the Covid and production.

The Secret for your needs will be fine as the pedal cadence type sensor will be more advantageous for your health.

The 2 -3 miles or so will be easily achievable on throttle alone if you need to do so, the battery at 10.4ah x 36v has a capacity of 374wh. A reasonable fit rider would get about 28 - 36 miles out of it, so even with your lower fitness and health issues you will have no issue with range and should achieve about 18 or more I would say on throttle alone.

The control will be either 3 or 5 power levels so if worried about the front wheel lifting start off in the lowest power level then once moving adjust up to the next power level, after a bit of use/familiarisation you will soon get use to the bike.

For any ebike don't leave the bike fully charged all the time when not in use, for battery longevity only charge it to 40 - 70%. Charge fully before use again, if using daily then you can charge every day.
Hello Neilh
Many thanks for your advice.
That would be great if the battery would last as long as you say with full throttle. Kudos bikes said it wasn't for use all the time, as it would flatten the battery quickly.
I had a look at the Whoosh Rambletta after you first replied. It said suitable for riders from 5ft 2". I am smaller than that (4ft 11 and half inches), so don't know if suitable?
Thank you for all the rest of your advice and tips too. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hello Artstu
Many thanks for your warm welcome and sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you. I really appreciated/appreciate the advice of a fellow sufferer. It's great to read of your improvement!
I didn't hear back from Kudos Cycles about trying out the Secret. I have been meaning to email them again about it but been low with the ME.
I have read that before about larger wheels being more comfortable and stable. The thing is, I want a folding bike. Not only for storage but because it would fit in a car boot if I was feeling too unwell to ride home. I could call someone or a taxi to pick me up (when this crisis is over). Does the fact that I am very petite make a difference with the smaller wheels (I am 4ft 11 and a half tall and weigh about 7 st 10)?
That is interesting about your experience of the throttle/pedalling. I can't say if I would feel the same until I try it.
Thanks again!
Your size doesn't really make a difference to stability, although your lightness will mean the bike performs well. Kudos are as far as I'm aware pulling out of the bicycle market, so I imagine that is why they haven't responded.

@Woosh are on the forum so I'm surprised they haven't commented, I'm sure the bike could be made to fit you although my view is that even in the lowest setting the bars are still a tad on the high side.

Forgot to say bar the Gocycle and Brompton most ebikes are a fair old lump when folded. 36258

Last edited:

SarahJane1

May 25, 2020
That's a shame about Kudos Bikes, especially as they might have let me try the bike out at home. I did see the Secret in stock on another site. Don't know if it still is.
I did wonder about the handle bars on the Rambletta. The Secret looks more adjustable. My concern with the Secret is the 21" step through.
Thanks you for the pics. Do you think the Secret and Rambletta would fit in a car boot easily? That's the most important thing, rather than the storage.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
That's a shame about Kudos Bikes, especially as they might have let me try the bike out at home. I did see the Secret in stock on another site. Don't know if it still is.
I did wonder about the handle bars on the Rambletta. The Secret looks more adjustable. My concern with the Secret is the 21" step through.
Thanks you for the pics. Do you think the Secret and Rambletta would fit in a car boot easily? That's the most important thing, rather than the storage.
They will fit in a hatchback ok, but might struggle in a saloon boot.

SarahJane1

May 25, 2020
Oh, that's a worry Jonah. I need that security, knowing that someone could pick me up if I was too unwell to ride.