Lack of full suspension tour bikes

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Guys, I have been looking for a while for a full suspension tour e-bike, ie, with mudguards, rack, lights, road/path tyres etc etc.

Apart from buying a full suspension mountain bike and converting it, I am left with just the R&M Range, which, look superb and are real top end, which suits me, but, are hard to arrange a test ride etc as there are no dealers near me.

I do believe other manufacturers are missing a trick here, or is it me? Are there any other top end brands that I have missed that do these bikes?

Col, are KTM planning anything in the future? Is the demand just not there for this?

Regards, Dave

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In theory (and in practice) you don't need a rear suspension on a touring bike a NCX seat post is plenty to wipe out the bumps. I have tested this theory on the "cycle path from hell" back from Hendaye. Full suspension will not prevent that stretch of road from loosening any nut or bolt that is un-suspended so the mudguards will probably fall off after a couple of runs... :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: VictoryV and Woosh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've tried a R&M full-sus tourer and the proposition works in a couple of ways.

Comfort is far superior to a rigid bicycle, a sus seat post is not a substitute, even a poor one.

Roadholding on the full-sus is superior, the bike isn't thrown off line by potholes and undulations like a rigid.

In practice, that means more confident and faster descending and cornering.

These benefits are unique and real, but only the user can put a cash price on them.

• Agree
Reactions: nashdm2

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
You may recall my post of a while back where is state some medical reasons for wanting a full sus bike. A seat post does not even come near to a full sus.
The R&M Delite Rohloff GX meets all of my needs without doubt. I don't have an issue with the price as such, BUT, why have more manufacturers not come into this market is the question.
I will eventually get the R&M I guess, IF, I can get a test ride for goodness sake!!!! Not much to ask when spending £6k on a bike!!!!!

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Where about are you located?

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I am in the Portsmouth area Croxden. When you look at the R&M site, there is not a dealer anywhere near me as there is a huge gap without one along the south coast!!!!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My roads must be smoother or you are thinking of unpaved path touring? In which case there are FS eMTBs with the necessary to attach mudguards etc.

For me the rear suspension eating up some of my effort when climbing outweighs any eventual road handling advantages on sealed roads. I have no problems descending and cornering at 50-60 km/h on a hard tail? Big Ben tyres and an NCX on the new have totally eliminated any lower back pain that I was experiencing on my old bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You may recall my post of a while back where is state some medical reasons for wanting a full sus bike. A seat post does not even come near to a full sus.
The R&M Delite Rohloff GX meets all of my needs without doubt. I don't have an issue with the price as such, BUT, why have more manufacturers not come into this market is the question.
I will eventually get the R&M I guess, IF, I can get a test ride for goodness sake!!!! Not much to ask when spending £6k on a bike!!!!!
Unlikely you will find a Delite Rohloff to test.

It's a £6K bike which sells, probably not even in the 10s nationally, so no dealer can sensibly afford to run one as a demo.

There will be few, if any, in dealer stock, and if you were allowed to test one of those there's the old argument about whether that bike can still be sold as new.

Even getting a static fitting may not be easy.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply guys, it really is a catch 22. Do they as a manufacturer expect you to spend £6k without even seeing the thing lol!!! The other option is as stated above, a quality FS e-Mtb and attach the right accessories etc but then the wires would be showing for the lights etc.
Lots to think about.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
You could have a word with Martin at e-Bikeshop in Farnham http://preview.tinyurl.com/y969s8bo

They don't do R&M, but have a wide range of e-bikes, and he does know his stuff.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I think I had the first one in the uk certainly with the Rohloff, see my many reports on it.

I checked the frame size and all the other measurements and compared with other bikes I had and new it would fit.

But still a weird feeling when going to pick it up but it was perfect for me.

I haven't any regrets with it, possibly the best purchase I've made.

It might have influenced RobF with his recent purchase, he liked it.

Pity you aren't closer to me, you could ride it in the wilds of our historic market town then have to save up.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Croxden, what are OnBike like to deal with please and who is the best contact there please?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The R&M Delite HS with Rolhoff sounds and looks the biz esp with twin 500wh batteries,

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Modifying a FS MTB may not workout. The R&M a designed for long distance touring in comfort, FS MTB are not.

• Useful

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The long range touring lark has picked my fancy too. BUT... I can only do that in the winter months and I can't imagine myself in rain gear on a bike, full suspension or not, for 240 km. You know where this is going... Three wheels, a body and a nice comfy reclining seat.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
We have a Riese and Muller Touring 49cm Dual 500 Battery in stock at the moment as well as 5 or 6 others if you want to come and experience RM products.
If you'd like to give me a call Tuesday I can talk it all through with you.
All bikes are brand new stock and can be given a short test ride if so desired...please just bring a Driving Licence/Passport and Credit card as security so you don't ride off into the sunset!:D

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
please just bring a Driving Licence/Passport and Credit card as security so you don't ride off into the sunset!:D
How times have changed, they didn't have sunsets in my day.

• :D
Reactions: martin@onbike

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for the replies all. Martin, appreciate your offer of assistance, thanks, I am away all this week so will try you next week if that is ok?