Ladies first electric bike

Gbay

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2016
Hi All
My wife is wanting a step through e bike to potter around on local rides , can anybody recommend reliable brands at the budget end of the market
Regards Gbay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh, https://wooshbikes.co.uk/ Not quite budget but quite a bit cheaper than most of the 'standard' brands. eg https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa is £850 and looks good for pottering.

If the rides are very short battery size is not too important, but if you have many hills range on very cheap bikes with very small batteries is often very small. Battery is a major part of the cost of an ebike. Woosh bikes tend to have good size batteries.

If you go for anything significantly cheaper you might hit lucky, but stand a big risk of getting a very poor bike.
~~~
A good place to look to get an idea of what budget bikes there are is
I've never used them so I don't know what their customer service is like;
but it does give a good idea of what you might get in the cheaper ranges.
Irritatingly you can't limit the search to bikes that are actually available.

Also http://www.kudoscycles.com/index.php?intro=done

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Gbay look no further than the Woosh Rambletta at £849 . It folds , has a good battery range , has front suspension and nice sized tyres . Woosh is a good Company offering Support and their bikes are long lasting and reliable . I don`t work for them, but we have had one in the Family for 8 years and it`s been reliable and is still on the original battery which is still good for 30 miles on Full Assist .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Juicy bikes, Woosh bikes, Kudos bikes or a bit more money Wisper bikes.
All well respected vendors of ebikes also Oxygen bikes.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi All
My wife is wanting a step through e bike to potter around on local rides , can anybody recommend reliable brands at the budget end of the market
Regards Gbay
As suggested, if you go to EBikes Direct and select step-through frames, then start at lowest price, you will get a good idea of what is on the market in the range you want. It's true that it will not separate in-stock items or the battery position or type of gears, but it's a good guide. You will also see that Woosh prices are good.

Reactions: Gbay

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi All
Regards Gbay
This interesting article made me look at Woosh bikes website where I further looked at their Rambletta 20” folder instruction manual (for interest and comparison with my Batribike QUARTZ), being curious about tyre pressures I found on P.10 ‘Tyre pressures between 45 & 65psi recommended, roughly same idea as on my Quartz.... then on P.13 I read TPs Recommended pressure 90psi but not to go beyond 120psi ? Confused? YES!

Maybe just a typo?

Jim

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Jimo,

where did you find that manual?
I need to fix that error PDQ!

recommended tyre pressure for the Rambletta is 40-45PSI.
we have an electric tyre inflator that is set for 43psi.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi Jimo,

where did you find that manual?
I need to fix that error PDQ!

recommended tyre pressure for the Rambletta is 40-45PSI.
we have an electric tyre inflator that is set for 43psi.
Found on your website in Rambletta bike Manual P.10 (45-65 ) & P.13 - ‘90psi - don’t go beyond 120psi.....

Jim

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks Jim.
It's now fixed.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
I may have an Apollo Elyse available with a front hub motor and rear rack battery - size 16”. Probably selling around £450

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You have another typo on page 14 of the Rambletta Manual, Essential maintenance, saying the "Faro", is a low maintenance bike.
Hi Ocsid,

thank you for spotting it.
It's now fixed!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Hi Ocsid,

thank you for spotting it.
It's now fixed!
Just checked, it is not corrected yet on the online downloadable PDF, on the Ramblatta's Webpage. Is it one of those things that gets reset over night?
Very good feature you have there to include this on product sheets, IMO.

Reactions: Woosh

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
While we're proof reading the manual:

"Battery care: The Rambletta comes with a modern light-weight lithium battery. The battery on this model is not designed to be removed by the end-user, and would normally only be removed for servicing purposes. "
Doesn't quite make sense. Elsewhere it says the battery is removable for charging etc .

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I was reading a website this morning (cannot remember what it was about) and they offered fifty dollars to the first person to come up with a major error on their site! Any offers, Mr Woosh?*!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
While we're proof reading the manual:

Doesn't quite make sense. Elsewhere it says the battery is removable for charging etc .
Morning PP100,
thank you for spotting the mistake.
It's now removed!

I was reading a website this morning (cannot remember what it was about) and they offered fifty dollars to the first person to come up with a major error on their site! Any offers, Mr Woosh?*!
I can't afford it!
I need to rely on your collective charitable nature!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think Mr Woosh does excellent bikes, kits and customer service, but not so hot at keeping the website details correct (which is indeed a terrible task as many of us know). I'm afraid 50 dollar bonus per error might force him out of business.

Reactions: Scorpio and Woosh