Lafree battery box dimensions

stevew

Pedelecer
Has anyone got the internal size of the Lafree Twist's (the standard one with no suspension) battery box please ?
I am speaking to PingBattery about them making one to fit inside the existing box. Not sure what the cost will be but I'll let you know if and when i get a satisfactory reply.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's the information you need Steve. One of our members used a US Batteryspace 24 volt 10Ah NiMh pack to recell a Lafree Twist battery and found the same as me with the Powacycle packs, that a small amount of the surrounding packing needed to be removed to squeeze it in.

The published dimensions of that Batteryspace pack are:

9 1/4 "L x 3 3/4 "W x 2.5 "H

and you can see it's appearance here:

Batteryspace 24 volt 10 Ah hour pack

Since a little of the surrounding sleeving has to be removed, it would be best to deduct a minimum of one sixteenth of an inch from each dimension. I've done that and converted to metric for convenience, so the maximum dimensions for Ping to work to are :

234mm L x 94mm W x 62mm H

Since the pack and box area are not exactly rectangular, you may prefer to deduct a further 2 mm from the length dimension to ensure the Ping pack fits if it uses rectangular components,

When the pack is in the Lafree box it leaves a smaller irregular area at the foot which takes the fuses and connections. You can see that pointed to by 2 and 3 in this photo from my Lafree Website:

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi i tried that with ping a couple of months ago i sent dimensions then heard no more about it so good luck with your try because if more people are interested thy might think there is a market out there

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi i tried that with ping a couple of months ago i sent dimensions then heard no more about it so good luck with your try because if more people are interested thy might think there is a market out there

jim
Must admit I had my doubts. LiFePO4 cells are larger and heavier that other Li-ion types for a given capacity, and to fit 7 cells and BMS in that confined space might mean cells with a very low capacity.

stevew

Pedelecer
Thanks Tony,

I'll see what Ping come up with and let you know. I have sent an email to them a few minutes ago.