Lands End to John O Groats - Unsupported

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I would doubt that anyone has tried this. Tell us more. How and where do you plan to charge? where will you sleep? Eat? Will you arrange to have emergency back up of any kind?

PennyDreamer

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
No emergency support, just me and the bike, completely unsupported. If the worst happens, I can get a taxi to a hotel and wait to be collected :)

I have two spare batteries, and intend to travel around 80 miles a day, staying mostly at youth hostels and charging in the evenings. Youth hostels supply meals apart from a couple, where I have some vacuum packed freeze dried meals, which a friend makes. I have food bars for lunch supplied from a company linked to my work (I work for Ecotricity, the renewable energy Company).

We're hoping to make the whole journey carbon neutral, as were hoping to get the YHA not already using renewable energy to switch to us.

I'm getting a train to Penzance then cycle to the start, then cycle back down to Wick and get a train to Inverness and a coach back home to Gloucestershire, the ride will take about two weeks.

I have Crohn's Disease, so can't do this without the help of a pedal assist bike, and I'll be cycling in aid of Crohn's and Colitis UK.

I'm ridiculously excited!

Edited to add, the bike is a Batribike Dash, which is foldable, and comes under the coach baggage weight limit.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As I've mentioned a time or two...

PLEASE don't be tempted to use the A30 through Cornwall: It's a horrible road at the best of times & will soon be thronged by holiday drivers.

Other than that - Strength to your elbow!
It's not something I'd care to attempt :)

PennyDreamer

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
No, thanks for your concern though, I'll go nowhere near it!

I ended up on a busy dual carriageway in Bristol whilst on a training ride. Not something I want to do again!!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Penny, I wish you luck in your venture. In a sense, in this day and age we all have emergency back up in the form of a mobile phone. Can you mend a puncture? You might be able to arrange some sort of breakdown cover. Carry some cash and a credit card. Even in summer the weather can turn nasty. Carry waterproofs. Confirm that all the places you plan to stay are willing to charge batteries. Maybe there are members on or near your route that can offer help, such as charging, food, or a place to sleep. Planning and preparation are the keys.Have you tried to get sponsorship from Battribike? Again good luck.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi Penny.
Glad you're still going to go ahead with this - I'm excited for you!:D I daresay you've done some preparation already, and when you first mentioned this I had a browse on t'interweb, and found this site. Loads of practical advice, even though he did it in six days!
One thing I would say - post up your route here. We have members spread throughout the land, and between us we probably have the local knowledge to advise you regarding your planned route (as Jackhandy already has re. the A30:)), and of course, it would be great to be able to join you perhaps to give you moral support along part of the way.
Good Luck!!:cool:

Reactions: Alan Quay

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
You should come pretty close to us in North Devon. I guess you'll probably mostly follow NCR 3 up to Bristol. I have cycled most of the routes between Lands End and Bristol and can advise on best options if you want. If you have a proposed route it would be good to post it for others to also provide input. Some NCR routes are somewhat bizarre and can certainly be improved on with a little local knowledge. We'd be delighted to ride with you for a bit if we're around when you're passing.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
No but I know someone who should be doing it shortly.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
hmm , I did it way back in '87,on the tail of the great storm, using Hostels just as you planned to do, didn't have Pedelec then , just me ,luggage, my thunder thighs, and a gang of good friends!

Some days will be blissfully easy, others very grim, going through the welsh marches in the rain was hard,had one long day from the lakes to Scottish borders finishing at Wanlockhead.

I think a sense of the ridiculous, good humour,& courage in the face of adversity are qualities to pack, especially as I needed to repair my 20th puncture on the longest day of trip, I almost blew a gasket myself that day, but used it to drive me on.

Post what ever you are not using home It will help.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
My apologies if you've already mentioned it but, when is the trip taking place?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Penny,
As part of you planning it might be worth knowing that you can recharge your batteries at several locations around the country and you might find this link useful http://www.cyclecharge.org.uk/
The membership map might also be worth checking for people along the route who I am sure would also help with battery charging, refreshments, 3 course meal, bed and breakfast.;) You can view the members map via this thread http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/where-do-you-live-v2-0.1573/

Reactions: peerjay56
C

Cyclezee

Just a thought, if anyone else out there want's to try this for a charitable cause I would be happy to loan an eZee bike for this or a similar trip.

Maybe an Expedir with it's cargo carrying capacity, if Wai Won Ching (AKA the Jackie Chan of e-bikes) can ride one across Australia, Lands End to John O'Groats should be a doddle for the average mortal.

Let me know if you are interested.

I would love to do this myself but just don't have the time right now:(, maybe one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Great to see you did it.

You seem to be making good progress. The whole trip is only going to take around two weeks at this rate.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I've been following Troy Rank over on ES on his world record attempt and would love to do what you are doing right now. Best of luck. I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear more about your experience once you are back home.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Looks like you are doing great. Well done! By the way how did you attach your panniers as there is no rack on the Obree? Good luck!
Dave