Lands End to John O,Groats

Pennybeth

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2015
Hi
As a complete newby to e biking (which I am really enjoying) I have read lots about members touring exploits which I find fascinating. However, apart from the recent charity ride by a young lady member posted here recently I can find little (sorry- nothing) about e bikers completing the LEJOG trip!
I have been a touring cyclist for many years and had always intended to complete the trip but age has now caught up with me and I am seriously considering doing it on my new electric mount.
The lack of information makes me wonder if there is a stigma attached to this trip re e bikes. "Thats cheating" or "thats easy and not really a challenge".
Certainly, from my own perspective I try to use my e bike to get as much mileage from the battery as possible so am usually in Eco mode with just the bigger hills on higher power settings. I dont therefor think it would be easy at all - just a bit easier than cycling.
Any thoughts please?
Pennybeth

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My usual repost to the 'cheating' cry is along the lines of, 'When you're 62 and still riding the hills of west wales unassisted, call me the and we'll talk'. To even consider the six hundred and How much?! :eek: miles you're talking about, is way beyond my stamina considerations, even assisted. If you can and you want to, do it. Enjoy it and stuff the armchair, or otherwise, critics who would have you sit at home and vegetate. I've just returned from a 20 mile spin round some of my home turf, it's a glorious sunny day and I've seen some jaw dropping views at the expense of climbing a few hills that I would think twice about walking up. E biking is allowing many to extend their cycling life and even getting people into cycling (my wife for one). So a pox on the nay sayers and give them a cheery heloo as you sail past them on that thigh burning hill.

Pennybeth

Sep 1, 2015
My usual repost to the 'cheating' cry is along the lines of, 'When you're 62 and still riding the hills of west wales unassisted, call me the and we'll talk'. To even consider the six hundred and How much?! :eek: miles you're talking about, is way beyond my stamina considerations, even assisted. If you can and you want to, do it. Enjoy it and stuff the armchair, or otherwise, critics who would have you sit at home and vegetate. I've just returned from a 20 mile spin round some of my home turf, it's a glorious sunny day and I've seen some jaw dropping views at the expense of climbing a few hills that I would think twice about walking up. E biking is allowing many to extend their cycling life and even getting people into cycling (my wife for one). So a pox on the nay sayers and give them a cheery heloo as you sail past them on that thigh burning hill.

Pennybeth

Sep 1, 2015
I know exactly how you feel Benjahmin - am 69 and also cycle the hills of Wales (South)
Many thanks for your inspirational response.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The shortest route is the best part of 900 miles.

That involves some major roads which you may want to avoid, so you could be looking at close to 1,000 miles.

A lot of cyclists aim for 14 days, which is about 70 miles a day.

That's a lot, day after day, and doesn't take into account rest days.

What bike do you have?

I'm guessing you will do well to get more than 50 or 60 miles from one battery.

Carrying a second battery is an option, although I think I would go with one and aim for a more realistic daily target.

Add a couple of rest days, and you would be looking at about three weeks, assuming 50 miles a day.

Bed and breakfast or camp?

I would go B&B, less to carry, recharging is more certain, and if you cop a bit of weather you will be very glad of a hot bath, proper meal and warm bed.

There are lots of resources online, nearly all of which apply to you as an ebiker just as they do to an ordinary cyclist.

Here's one, although as ever with the internet, there is a danger of drowning in a sea of information.

http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
This is something I have on my list of "things to do" also.
I have read a number of books and I would do the 14 day version with hotels/B&B's
It's just finding the time to build up to it and put the trip firmly in the diary. Being a fat bloke, I would need to lose some considerable weight before I did it and also build up to it with a training plan. I did also consider doing it with my wife driving between hotels or even hiring a motor home and get her to drive that between the sites (she has said yes by the way!!!!). That would mean I would only need to carry daily essentials. I would need a second battery, but the issue would be possibly needing a second charger unless I can work out a routine of swapping over once one battery is charged etc each day.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
However, apart from the recent charity ride by a young lady member posted here recently I can find little (sorry- nothing) about e bikers completing the LEJOG trip!
Here you go:-
http://www.wearea2b.com/uk/e-bike-news/lands-end-to-john-ogroats
http://www.powabyke.com/news/-/eddie_gets_on_his_powabyke_for_world_record_attempt_6/
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/lands-end-to-john-o-groats-unsupported.18004/
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/local-news/bedlington-man-cycle-john-ogroats-4409485

Could get some tips or inspiration from them.

Don't worry about any 'stigma'. That's other people's problem, not yours!

Pennybeth

Sep 1, 2015
Many thanks everyone for your help and ideas. I am begining to feel that the Lejog has probably been done quite a bit on a e bike but possibly hasnt been published - why would it be as it is quoted that "thousand" of cyclists do it each year. I too would do it over three weeks - 50 mile/day wont be a problem for my Kalkhoff, the problem will be mine as I will need to keep on Eco except for the larger hills. My wife has agreed to shadow me either in hotels or by hiring a camper. I have already sorted a route avoiding too many trunk roads and dual carriageways. Thanks again for your help.