Large volume road tyres

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi Folks,
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss suggestions and experience on large volume, preferably fairly supple tyres that people are using on their bikes, mainly for road and light trail.
i.e. something around 2.2-2.4in, give or take, fairly fast rolling, not knobbly mountain bike tyres (although a hybrid type with knobs on the sides but a smooth rolling center would be ok). Ideally, they should give a fairly comfy ride (hence the 'supple' requirement) so not be as hard as an old boot (I'm looking at you Marathon plus!)
A quick look at the Schwalbe web site seems to show that either I missed some models in the past, or they've released some new ones, so before I go trawling though things I thought I'd start this thread!

I'll kick off:
So I really love the ride that Schwalbe Big Apples in a 2.3in give. Super comfy. Very fast on the road. Pretty light.
Negatives are that there is zero grip if you hit a slippery mud patch, and because its light, the puncture protection isn't brilliant. I use these as a summer tyre.

Schwalbe SuperMoto X - similar to the big apples, but tougher, so better puncture protection, but a bit heavier and not quite as supple.
I really like these in a 2.4in , but the big problem has been that they've only been available in 27.5, but not 29. And I mostly need 29in!

So I've noticed that this year, Schwalbe have on their site a SuperMoto in 29 x 2.4in yay! But note ... its NOT the 'x' version. It looks like a brand new tyre. Anyone tried one?
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/super-moto

Schwalbe marathon plus MTB - I have these in a 2.25in width. Used as autumn/winter tyre as they have reasonable grippy bits on the edges for mud and they are hard as nails due to incredible puncture protection. They are the solution to hedgerow cutting with the subsequent thorns strewn everywhere. The center of the tread is fairly solid, so they roll reasonably well on the road. I use them and love them for the puncture protection, but I also hate them with a passion as they give such a hideous, hard ride. They can transform am expensive, responsive, well designed bike into what feels like a lump of lifeless lead. Sigh. Compromises .. compromises ...

Specialized nimbus sport 2.3 - very similar to the Big Apple, but perhaps a little better puncture protection maybe? A good tyre. I liked them. Were only available in 650b though. Bugger.

Anybody got any other suggestions/experience? I know Schwalbe also has the Rock Razor model - not tried that one. I'm almost positive I saw another new model (not the Supermoto non X version) talked about last year in some higher end 2021 e-bikes previews , but I didn't make a note of the name and now I can't remember what they were.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0185_02.JPGDSC_0187.JPG

with tubeless sealant i have never had a puncture but the sg version is heavy at 1.2kg each as full down hill tyres.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I've been very happy with Curio tyres for gravel tracks & B-roads, no punctures since I fitted them 12 month / 1500Kms ago.
Noticably harder than the supersoft knobblies they replaced but the large volume gives a comfortable ride. Bonus is they're super cheap and come in a mix of sizes and fun colours. I've been paying under £10 each :cool:

The main downside is they have very poor grip on wet grass / mud, grip seems fine on wet tarmac but I ride gentle when it's been raining.

https://curiouk.com/collections/slick-mountain-bike-tyres

Curio.jpg

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I've been very happy with Curio tyres ...
Interesting. I hadn't heard of those before. Cool colours :)
I've just checked the link - I can only see 26" as a size option though. Can this be correct? Seems a bit strange for this day and age!

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Interesting. I hadn't heard of those before. Cool colours :)
I've just checked the link - I can only see 26" as a size option though. Can this be correct? Seems a bit strange for this day and age!
I have 2 sets of their 700x38 slicks in the post, not quite as wide as I'd like but I have similar size on already and they're fine for on my usual B-road / gravel track routes.
They have limited colours in 700C/29'er https://curiouk.com/collections/700c-road-tyres

I don't have any 27.5 bikes so hadn't looked on their site, the only ones I can see are knobbly so not what you are looking for.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yea ... I wouldn't describe Magic Mary and Hans Dampf SG as ideal road tyres though :D
yet i can overtake all the racing bikes on the road going 30mph :p

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Anybody got any other suggestions/experience?
Just to add to this:
Firstly, I've found out that Schwalbe have updated their Hurricane! I've had a set of these in a 29*2.0 on a gravel bike (was the widest they did at the time IIRC). But they've now changed the tread, and its also available in a decent 2.25" as well as a chunky 2.4". Its kind of a mid ground between a Super Motox and a Rock Razor. Could be an excellent general purpose option and its E-50 S-pedelec certified. So even Soundwave could finally get some appropriate tyres on his bike ;)

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/hurricane

I also forgot that somewhere I've got a pair of Schwalbe G-One speed in a 29*2.35
Its a pretty amazing tyre - folding bead, tubeless ready, super light, super flexible and super fast! I've not tried it on an e-bike though. Its tread is made up of thousands of micro knobs which are ultra grippy, but boy do they wear fast. I can't see them lasting more than a few hundred miles ridden fast on tarmac.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-reader/schwalbe-g-one-speed

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i ride my bike on and off road so rolling resistance does not matter to me only puncture protection i have had not one thorn in my tyres since using the sg ones.

with the standard version of the tyres i had so many thorns in the tyre when i pulled them all out i could not seal it up again lol even with stans no tubes.

tho it took me about 1hr to get each sg one on the mavic rims i have ;)

after the first bridge all the path to Gloucester is now is tarmac imo for all the scooters lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
No doubt.
But put those lycra guys on a similar de-restricted Haibike, but clad in slick tyres, then it would be you eating dust big time :D :D
new bike time then :p

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
i ride my bike on and off road so rolling resistance does not matter to me only puncture protection
Fair enough. And I should point out to anyone thinking of trying any mentioned above, that many of the slick tyres like the big apple are absolutely lethal on slippery mud.
But a lot of people ride purely on tarmac, even if they bought something like a hardtail mountain bike - which I have, and with a few mods, its a super comfy and practical touring/commuting bike.
I'm fortunate, as I have a dedicated 'mountain bike' which permanently has big, knobbly tyres on it (that I virtually never use on the road - the rubber is so soft it would wear out in just a few months!), but I also have my touring/commuting hardtail ebike, and my round trip to work and back is just shy of 50miles, and its pretty much all paved (albeit a bit rough in places on the old cycletracks), hence my interest in comfy, silent, high volume but fast rolling tyres.

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
I have just fitted some Schwalbe marathon plus ebike tyres,I have been plagued with punctures, and I ride in very remote areas, far away from rescue, so I needed good puncture resistance.
They are very hard and give a harsh ride even on a full suss bike, but very low rolling resistance, which is good for me.
My longest ride is 50 miles with about 600 metres of climb, and only just possible on the old tyres with very careful nursing, the new tyres manage it much better, but a harsher ride. I have found tyre pressure is very important, and I use 40 psi, yes old imperial units, and I am an engineer trained in SI units.
A compromise, range or comfort.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi Folks,
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss suggestions and experience on large volume, preferably fairly supple tyres that people are using on their bikes, mainly for road and light trail.

Anybody got any other suggestions/experience?
Just noticed Schwalbe has another new ebike tyre that fits the bill
the 'Al Grounder'
Not sure if that's the final UK name (will it get changed to 'All Rounder' LOL)
https://www.schwalbe.com/Al-Grounder-11159272

I can't find it for sale in the UK at the moment though.

On that note - has anyone ordered any tyres from europe in the last few months? what was the deal on additional import duty ?

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I've been using Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres on a FSmtb with a tubeless setup and only had one slow puncture in over a year. The bike is used both on and off road. Varying the pressures changes the grip level and rolling resistance a lot, the solid centre band gets the power down on road and the chunky sides work well in mud. I'm still amazed after all this time how well these tyres cope in mud etc.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi Folks,
So I've noticed that this year, Schwalbe have on their site a SuperMoto in 29 x 2.4in yay! But note ... its NOT the 'x' version. It looks like a brand new tyre. Anyone tried one?
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/super-moto
As a followup to this, A couple of days ago I noticed that chainreaction had these on one of their deals and so I ordered a pair of the 29x2.4in ones. Just fitted them an hour ago.
Got to say they look awesome!

If anyone is interested, the current offer price is very good for the 2.4" ones (£25) and its very VERY good if you want the smaller 2.0 inch ones (£18.99 instead of the £37.50 normal price)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-super-moto-performance-city-tyre/rp-prod203506

Oh ... and I had to order a set of tyres for the wife's bike as well and was able to use their current 'clear2022' offer code and got a further £10 off the order. And free postage. Bargain.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't go any fatter, neither can my bike tyres - the chain rubs on my Marathon Plus 1.75" tyres on the lowest gear... so Big Ben Plus 2.125" tyres are not a viable fattiness upgrade :( There are no suspension otions for my particular bike, and I can't afford to lose that lowest gear. I'll have to stick at 1.75", which don't dislodge the chain, but only just.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
:confused: 26 x 4.0 road based extra volume 20 psi might try and do ghetto tubeless :eek::rolleyes:
:oops: Looks like you could ride over grannies without noticing!