LCD S866 + Brainpower controller

roybj

Just Joined
Jan 9, 2020
I have an S866 LCD and brainpower contoller fitted to a front 36 V 500W direct drive chinese hub. I have for a long while been trying to get the display to show me the Watts being drawn from the battery but can't seem to figure out what is going on as I am seeing the Amps being drawn on the display.

I had an E07 in place where the Watts display was and I have read on this thread that this is some kind of hall failure. I double checked the hall connection on the motor cable recently and realised that all the coloured cables where not matching the one on the brain power controller so I changed all of the pins so that they all match even though there is no white wire. Now the blue, green and yellow all match the phase wires and the red and black for the positive and negative and no white wire from the motor cable.

Now since I reconnected I am getting an Error 00. I have looked up the manual and it seems this does not exist, so what is going on, why can't I get my watts display to function? Feed back appreciated..
View attachment 38781

alfred kuhl

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Hello, I would like to say in advance that I come from Germany and translated with Google. In other words, the translation sometimes leads to ambiguities.
I understand your question as follows: You want to connect an S866 to a controller that is not mentioned?

FFFilip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 17, 2020
You don't get it wrong S866 is connected to the controller and there is no problem I just want the display to show me how you

FFFilip

Nov 17, 2020
Hello, I would like to say in advance that I come from Germany and translated with Google. In other words, the translation sometimes leads to ambiguities.
I understand your question as follows: You want to connect an S866 to a controller that is not mentioned?
compare these two pictures and you will see a different view of the display

alfred kuhl

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Yes, I've seen that elsewhere too. I think there is a model change. As far as I know, the layout of such displays is fixed and cannot be changed. You can only make the symbols visible or not.

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
I have an S866 LCD and brainpower contoller fitted to a front 36 V 500W direct drive chinese hub. I have for a long while been trying to get the display to show me the Watts being drawn from the battery but can't seem to figure out what is going on as I am seeing the Amps being drawn on the display.

I had an E07 in place where the Watts display was and I have read on this thread that this is some kind of hall failure. I double checked the hall connection on the motor cable recently and realised that all the coloured cables where not matching the one on the brain power controller so I changed all of the pins so that they all match even though there is no white wire. Now the blue, green and yellow all match the phase wires and the red and black for the positive and negative and no white wire from the motor cable.

Now since I reconnected I am getting an Error 00. I have looked up the manual and it seems this does not exist, so what is going on, why can't I get my watts display to function? Feed back appreciated..
View attachment 38781
I've 2 of these controllers which are identical however they display differently.

One will display wattage, but this is the one you DON'T want. The problem with it is that if it has a an error code displaying, ie e07, it will only display the current speed, and pas. You can't see trip, wattage, amps, odometer, or time riding. Basically it's stuck on the error code screen. This is a pain if you are using it on a motor workout hall sensors. With this one, if there is no fault codes, it won't have any error screen.

The one that doesn't display wattage can still display all other screens if it has a fault code showing, when there are no fault codes, it will display e00 in one one of the screens when you cycle through all the displays.

Also, there is no error if the main motor wires are disconnected, shorting or faulty. The e07 code (motor fault) is only related to the hall sensors.

alfred kuhl

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I have two suggestions. Maybe it can bring new insights.
1. Disconnect the hall sensors and drive without, what is then displayed. The controller also runs without hall sensors.
2. The Hall sensors check whether one is defective. Here is an example of a tester for little money. When buying, make sure that there are instructions included.

Zeerover

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2020
I accidentally activated the code on the S866. Every time I have to enter this at start-up. After a lot of searching I also found how to turn it off again. Change the code to "0000" and you do not have to enter it at start-up.

Zeerover

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2020
I have something very strange. My engine runs very slowly in pass mode, even at full throttle. In walk mode the motor runs normally. When I connect the learning wires the motor also runs very slowly but if I go to settings P20 with the learning wire connected, I can run the motor quickly at P20 1,2,3 at 0 the motor turns slowly again. When I save the settings at P20 1,2,3, the motor runs normally but this is not usable. I probably did something wrong with the settings, but because the manual is so unclear I tried just about everything to make the controller work, probably with bad results. There are no error codes. Hopefully someone has a solution

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have something very strange. My engine runs very slowly in pass mode, even at full throttle. In walk mode the motor runs normally. When I connect the learning wires the motor also runs very slowly but if I go to settings P20 with the learning wire connected, I can run the motor quickly at P20 1,2,3 at 0 the motor turns slowly again. When I save the settings at P20 1,2,3, the motor runs normally but this is not usable. I probably did something wrong with the settings, but because the manual is so unclear I tried just about everything to make the controller work, probably with bad results. There are no error codes. Hopefully someone has a solution
You need to show all the settings. You probably have an error in the way the speed is calculated, like the wrong number of magnets set for the speed sensor.

Zeerover

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2020
You need to show all the settings. You probably have an error in the way the speed is calculated, like the wrong number of magnets set for the speed sensor.
No, that's not the problem. Speed setting is 1 the white cable.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Is the speed on the LCD correct?
How do you know the number of magnets is 1? Are you using an external speed sensor? Last guy that had this problem had 6 magnets in his motor,

Zeerover

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2020
II opened the engine to install 3 hall sensors. There was already 1 for the speed with a white wire. I also changed the motor cable because the hall sensor wires were not there either. The speed is indicated perfectly correctly when I select 1 magnet at P07. I can also select 20x5 = 100 magnets, but then there is only the correct speed when the motor is rotating. In the meantime the engine is running well after I changed the maximum speed P08 from 30 to 100 km / h, very strange. Thanks for thinking along.

PeSk

Oct 28, 2020
Hello from Czech republic,
as a plenty users on this forum in front of me also I am facing problems with commissioning of 866 controller.
I read this thread a found here a lots of useful information. But unfortunately I still don't have a functional Ebike.
I am just rebuilding my father's bike to Brainpower Motor Controller 866C-6 with LCD S866 came from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907301576.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.3fc9580eeSK0Am.
Bike was originally equipped by controller with LED panel and due to fact that was randomly switch off during trip and sometime there was not possible to switch it on I decided to do this upgrade.
Bike has a front Bafang motor SWXB with 3pcs of hall sensors, 20magnets, Gear ratio 1:4.3, PAS assist (12magnets), no throttle, no speed sensor inside motor.

What I did:
I connected all of used periphery:
1/ 3 power wires of motor
2/ Hall sensors - 5 wires
3/ PAS sensor (wire order changed acc sensor)
4/ brake switch
5/ display

Then I connected battery and switched on system. I did learn on procedure - rotation is OK.
Motor was not running by using pedaling. By Walk assist worked properly.
But error E07 ocured. I was measured output of hall sensors (directly on connector) - was OK.
Output of PAS sensor - OK (12magnets)
Signal Voltage of all hall sensors (motor and also PAS) is 0V or 4.8V when magnet is in active area.

Nothing changed.
Then I try applied advice from this thread and simulate using Throttle. As I don't have any, I connected 10kohm potentiometer. (P10 = 2)
Motor don't move, but low noise from motor was heard. After increasing PAS on display the motor finally started to move! But max speed was 16km/h (P08 = 100)
In this time I did also resoldering of all hall sensors connection inside motor as recommended in one video on Youtube. Then I also did some test with parameters change.

When I changed P05 to 0 (only 3level of PAS) then motor finally run on full speed! (according position of throttle).
Additionally E07 disappeared! (there is visible E00 instead of)
But running by pedaling is still not available.

Now I realy don't have any idea how to continue. If somebody would have any clue, I will appreciate It.

To provide complete information, here is final setup of controller I have:
P01 1
P02 0
P03 36
P04 10
P05 0
P06 28
P07 86 (20magnets x 4.3 reduction ratio)
P08 100
P09 0
P10 2
P11 24 (no visible influence by change)
P12 5 (no visible influence by change)
P13 12
P14 12
P15 29
P16
P17 0
P18 100
P19 0
P20 0
P21 0 (no described in any manual I have)

Thank you if you was able to read till the end and I am looking forward for any idea how to solve it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What PAS do you have?
Did you check to see if it works backwards?
P07 should be 1 for a single magnet in the speed sensor, assuming that you're us ing a speed sensor. If not, you're setting might be right, but it'll show zero speed when free-wheeling without a speed sensor.
P19 should be i for the throttlr to work. 0 disables it. Gear = throttle in Chinese.

PeSk

Oct 28, 2020
What PAS do you have?
Did you check to see if it works backwards?
P07 should be 1 for a single magnet in the speed sensor, assuming that you're us ing a speed sensor. If not, you're setting might be right, but it'll show zero speed when free-wheeling without a speed sensor.
P19 should be i for the throttlr to work. 0 disables it. Gear = throttle in Chinese.
Hello, PAS system see photo. There is dual hall sensor inside. Turning pedals back cause no signal on the output. I tryied turn ring with magnets - no influence to function.
Parameters:
P07 - I don't have speed sensor inside, therefore 86 is setupped. Speed is shown as you wrote - only when motor is powered. (speed sensor I will solve when others is doing well)
P19 - no influence - even I put 0 or 1, there is still throttle working.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hello, PAS system see photo. There is dual hall sensor inside. Turning pedals back cause no signal on the output. I tryied turn ring with magnets - no influence to function.
Parameters:
P07 - I don't have speed sensor inside, therefore 86 is setupped. Speed is shown as you wrote - only when motor is powered. (speed sensor I will solve when others is doing well)
P19 - no influence - even I put 0 or 1, there is still throttle working.
Regardless or the PAS, the throttle should work. It's completely independent of the PAS, so the PAS can't have any influence on its function. Leave the PAS disconnected and get the motor working with the throttle first.

Did you do the self-learning procedure to teach the controller the connection sequence of the hall and phase wires? if not, that's probably the cause of your problem.

Dual sensor ones can be handed L/R side of the bike. Put the magnet disc on the shaft without reassembling the crank, test it in both directions, then flip the disc and try it in both directions again (4 tests) to see if one of them works. If only one does and it's when you pedal backwards, you have to install the PAS on the other side of the bike.

Obviously, if none of the four work, the problem is somewhere else.

Advertisers