LCD S866 + Brainpower controller

PeSk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2020
Regardless or the PAS, the throttle should work. It's completely independent of the PAS, so the PAS can't have any influence on its function. Leave the PAS disconnected and get the motor working with the throttle first.

Did you do the self-learning procedure to teach the controller the connection sequence of the hall and phase wires? if not, that's probably the cause of your problem.

Dual sensor ones can be handed L/R side of the bike. Put the magnet disc on the shaft without reassembling the crank, test it in both directions, then flip the disc and try it in both directions again (4 tests) to see if one of them works. If only one does and it's when you pedal backwards, you have to install the PAS on the other side of the bike.

Obviously, if none of the four work, the problem is somewhere else.
Happy new year!
That is clear, that PAS a throtlle are independent. But showing throttle functionality confirmed that motor is OK, power output and hall sensor connection to controller also.

So learning procedure was done several times. Rotation is right.
Today I provided proposed PAS sensor test, but without influence of PAS controls. Independent of rotation of shafts and position of disc (polarity of magnet) motor still doesn't start.
Voltage of PAS output, when magnet is passing hall sensor is 4.2V. Otherwise ca 0.1V.
Does somebody know if there is some requirement for voltage or signal shape for PAS controller input? This is last idea I have. Or damage of controller.
Parallel I contacted supplier and I am waiting for some proposal from his side. I will post his answer if there will be any :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One thing you can try before giving up on the controller: Press out every other magnet to convert it to a 6 magnet disc. That's worked for me a couple of times with 12 magnet discs.

PeSk

Oct 28, 2020
One thing you can try before giving up on the controller: Press out every other magnet to convert it to a 6 magnet disc. That's worked for me a couple of times with 12 magnet discs.
I thing this should not be a solution. Nr. of magnets can be simulated by frequency of pedaling. But I did it, because currently I am really lost.
As expected no influence and still no movement of motor.

I also got advice from supplier side - same as you proposed few days ago :-(

The customer's PAS sensor was installed in the wrong position. It should be installed on the left pedal of the car, and the customer installed it on the right side. 1. You can switch to the pedal on the left side. 2. On the right side, you can turn the disk on the opposite side and try to see if it is normal

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I thing this should not be a solution. Nr. of magnets can be simulated by frequency of pedaling. But I did it, because currently I am really lost.
Ok, that's not the solution for your problem, but it has solved it for others. You have misunderstood how this works. The problem is when the magnets are too close together - nothing to do with the frequency of passing the sensor.

PeSk

Oct 28, 2020
Ok, that's not the solution for your problem, but it has solved it for others. You have misunderstood how this works. The problem is when the magnets are too close together - nothing to do with the frequency of passing the sensor.
I can imagine what is doing when PAS is working.
Here there is a schema of signal output of my PAS system.

But what I dont know is, what is requirements of input signal of controller - as I was asked the audience of this forum in my previous post. Then could be possible to test my controller. ( for examle by using signal generator)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can normally test the controller by making a join between the 5v and signal wire and tapping the connection to make a pulse.

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
Good morning, I am new in this forum.
I have a 2010 ebike with a Tongxin controller burnt. I changed battery pack last year therefore I am trying to replace controller with Brainpower Poewer controller and S866 display
I read a lot of very interesting info in this forum before starting to do anything.

This morning I plugged the battery, motor and display and got E10 (communication failure), E09 (controller failure) and E07 (motor failure) error messages.

I post some pictures to better understand what I have and what I did.

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did it say anywhere in the listing that it could work sensorless?

If it does, did you do the self-learning procedure?

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
Did it say anywhere in the listing that it could work sensorless?

If it does, did you do the self-learning procedure?
I don't know what you mean.. where should I check if it could work sensorless?

No I did not do self-learning procedure (never connected the two green single cables).

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your old controller & hub are square wave /unsensored the motor only has 3 thick wires connected, the Brainpower controller is for sensored hubs / sinewave. Sinewave/sensored hubs have 3 thick wires and 5 or 6 thin wires for sensors. Not all sinewave controllers will work with unsensored hubs so the devil is in the detail/description of the item as to whether it will work or not.

The E09, 10 & 11 faults likely equate to the fact that the controller white square connector block with the 6 thin wires isn't connected, these are the sensor wires that most modern hubs now use.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are three types of controller: (1) ones that only work with hall sensors, (2) those that can work with and without, and (3) those that work without hall sensors. Your motor doesn't have hall sensors, so you can't use (1), which is the majority of controllers.

Your controller has the connector for hall sensors, so it's either type (1) or (2). The listing where you brought it from will say whether it can work without hall sensors. If it doesn't mention that, it's probably type (1), which you can't use.

Self learning procedure if your controller can work sensorless:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Join the two green wires
  • Reconnect the battery, switch everything on and wait with the wheel in the air. After a few seconds, the motor will start turning by itself. If it turns the wrong way, disconnect and reconnect the green wires
  • When the motor is turning correctly, switch off everything and disconnect the green wires and leave them like that.

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
There are three types of controller: (1) ones that only work with hall sensors, (2) those that can work with and without, and (3) those that work without hall sensors. Your motor doesn't have hall sensors, so you can't use (1), which is the majority of controllers.

Your controller has the connector for hall sensors, so it's either type (1) or (2). The listing where you brought it from will say whether it can work without hall sensors. If it doesn't mention that, it's probably type (1), which you can't use.

Self learning procedure if your controller can work sensorless:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Join the two green wires
  • Reconnect the battery, switch everything on and wait with the wheel in the air. After a few seconds, the motor will start turning by itself. If it turns the wrong way, disconnect and reconnect the green wires
  • When the motor is turning correctly, switch off everything and disconnect the green wires and leave them like that.
I bought it on Amazon, it is not specified if it works with both sensored and not sensored.

Reading in the Amazon Q&A:
- one person wrote that it doesn't work with not sensored motors
- another one said that it works also on motors without hall sensors

Shall I try self learning or is it dangerous in case of non-compatibility?

Thanks again

P.S. I attach the diagram received by supplier after my request

Attachments

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
You can try it. No harm will come.
Just tried the self learning procedure 4-5 times.

The good news is that now the battery symbol is visible (full battery shown) and the only remaining error is E10.

When I switch on the display there is a counting 00:02, 00:03, 00:04, and then E10 is displayed --> see attached pictures.

The bad news is that the wheel is not moving at all...

Any other possibility you see ?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
Just tried the self learning procedure 4-5 times.

The good news is that now the battery symbol is visible (full battery shown) and the only remaining error is E10.

When I switch on the display there is a counting 00:02, 00:03, 00:04, and then E10 is displayed --> see attached pictures.

The bad news is that the wheel is not moving at all...

Any other possibility you see ?

Thanks a lot
Is the motor a known good motor? Disconnect the 3 big wires from motor and while shorting 2 of them together, try spin the wheel backwards, is it very hard to turn?

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
Is the motor a known good motor? Disconnect the 3 big wires from motor and while shorting 2 of them together, try spin the wheel backwards, is it very hard to turn?
hi Spinnanz, I saw your answer only now, sorry. I did give the controller back, now I am trying with another one.

Reactions: Spinnanz

huges75

Jan 18, 2021
1. Get a motor with hall sensord
2. Get a sensorless controller.
Sorry.
I received today a new controller (by the way I realize that the model has same number!) that was assured to work with sensorless motor.

I mounted the battery and the motor cables and did the self-learning: it worked! I then switched off battery and disconnected the self-learning cables.

Then I tried the PAS: the colors of the cables were not matching therefore I cutted the connectors and did a "flying" connection with the right colors... but when pedaling nothing happens.
I tried again the self-learning and it was still working.

Any suggestion on how to proceed, please?

Some pictures to show status.

Thanks

Attachments

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
I received today a new controller (by the way I realize that the model has same number!) that was assured to work with sensorless motor.

I mounted the battery and the motor cables and did the self-learning: it worked! I then switched off battery and disconnected the self-learning cables.

Then I tried the PAS: the colors of the cables were not matching therefore I cutted the connectors and did a "flying" connection with the right colors... but when pedaling nothing happens.
I tried again the self-learning and it was still working.

Any suggestion on how to proceed, please?

Some pictures to show status.

Thanks
Is pas turned on?

Attachments

Advertisers