Learn the lesson the hard way!!!

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
So my Evans converted bike has been stored in my timber lean to garage that has a corrugated plastic roof and temps get up above 100F degrees when the sun is out( when was that? did I miss it?)
Anyway, dug the bike out, and realised i had left my 15Amp Li-po4 battery in the pannier:(, charged it up and it shows 39V, took the bike out and after 100 yds it stopped, the lights went out, reset via switch and they came to life again, opened throttle and they went out and on and on. Tested voltage and battery still showing 39.5V until I connect it to the controller and the voltage then shows 2.14V. Thinking it`s the controller gone wrong i dismantle to check on connections etc and all seems well, was about to ring Alien to see if they had a spare controller ( this was the first kit they did) then thinks! I`ll just try my Li-Polymer that I got from Andrew at Oxygen Bikes and everything works as it should and went on a 25 mile trip no problems. Now back at home and looking at the Li-po4 I see that the cells have expanded and are trying to split the gaffer tape outer case:eek: I can only suspect that the extreme heat it the garage has somehow destroyed the battery( will it catch alight I ask myself)

I think from this i realise that trying to have a battery for each bike is nice from the point that you can just jump on and go but for the short time it takes to move one to the other( in this case the Li-Polymer is slung under the crossbars) having as few a batteries as poss means that you save money plus you don`t double the effect of the battery just deteriorating when not being used ie get the most out of one battery before buying a second.

BTW I usually keep the Li-Polymer under the crossbar on the Aurora as well as the supplied rear battery for greater distance and if need to use high power for any length of time.

Dave