Leaving the EU

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
he is our own Donald Trump.
Odd how political names come in runs.

Under the recent labour government we had the Eds, Ed Milliband, Ed Balls and at least one other labour MP named Ed, (in a Dorset seat).

Recently it looked like the era of the Daves with Cameron and others.

But now it could be the time of the Donalds, with Donald Trump in the USA, the EU president Donald Tusk, and of course our own prime minister, David William Donald Cameron.

Reactions: Lancslass and trex

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Referring to Tillson's comments, I am actually also offended by what Hollande says. It especially sticks in the throat that the French should try to threaten us with scare tactics and I think it will have, on balance, the opposite effect of what Hollande is hoping to achieve. After all the British don't like being told what to do by other countries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am actually also offended by what Hollande says.
It's not worth either side getting upset, there'll be such scare tactics from both sides in all involved countries from now until the referendum.

It's the nature of the beast.

The one certainty is that we will all be thoroughly sick of the subject long before we vote.

Reactions: robert44

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
he is our own Donald Trump.
There's nothing wrong with Donald Trump. That seems to be the message coming out of the USA's democratic process.

There seems to be a problem for the more left leaning liberals have. They love the idea of democracy until it doesn't deliver the outcome they desire. They then vilify and smear the popular choice.

I look forward to President Trump. He'll be good for the yanks.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I didn't imply that there is something wrong with Donald Trump. He is different from the usual career politicians toeing the party lines all the time.
Of course, if and when he becomes the republicans' nominee, he will have to toe the party line.

Reactions: tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course, if and when he becomes the republicans' nominee, he will have to toe the party line.
That process has already started, his latest utterances being far more moderate and conciliatory.

Basically he's acting for Trump, rabble rousing to gain the popular vote, then presenting himself as acceptable to the establishment.

How he would pan out with presidential decisions in our complex world remains to be seen. Personally I don't think he's got what it takes and would be ineffectual.

Reactions: mike killay

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
It seems that there are two choices - remain in the EU or will we all go to hell, leave the EU and we will all go to heaven!
What a shame that at the moment we have a bunch of uninspiring politicians in all parties?

• Dislike
Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we can join with the US to trade with the EU, US style, and pay the EU 3% on tariff. Paying for access is the least painful option in the short term.
In the long term, there are so many issues that require Europe and world wide integration, we'll be forced to join with another large bloc to solve. The EU is probably the best bloc for us to join.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
we can join with the US to trade with the EU, US style, and pay the EU 3% on tariff. Paying for access is the least painful option in the short term.
In the long term, there are so many issues that require Europe and world wide integration, we'll be forced to join with another large bloc to solve. The EU is probably the best bloc for us to join.
Another alternative to being part of the USA trading bloc is one that many here would like (though not me), joining the USA more fully, instead of the EU.

The UK could apply to become a US state like Hawaii and Alaska, adopting a simple state name like Britain for example, or alternatively become a US territory like Puerto Rico.

Either way we'd all have US nationality and all the pros and cons attaching to that.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I shudder at the thought of calling Donald Trump Mr President.

Reactions: derf and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure you could avoid doing that, after all we don't call Donald Tusk Mr President.

Anyway, the dollars in your pocket would be some compensation.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if that day comes, I'll move back to France.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
and at the thought of him doing something exponentially worse than invading Iraq as bush did, as he no doubt will, populist moron that he is, and having to - somehow - prepare for that

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we can all remember some 'Bushisms'

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Just watched the Andrew Marr show. It was interesting to see how he treated Boris Johnson and would not let him answer a single question without interrupting and talking over him. This was in marked contrast to the deference that was shown to the German finance minister who was allowed to make his case for us to stop in and try to scare us. Again this just shows the bias of the BBC. I always thought Marr was a fair interviewer but have now changed my mind. Also interesting to see that the head of the Bcc has been suspended for saying we would be better off out.Wonder if that would have happened if he had expressed the opposite view.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that did seem so to me too but there is a clear contrast.
Schaeuble put forward his argument concisely, making Marr's job easy. Boris? anything but.
If I had to choose between Boris and Gove, I choose Gove any day.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
that did seem so to me too but there is a clear contrast.
Schaeuble put forward his argument concisely, making Marr's job easy. Boris? anything but.
If I had to choose between Boris and Gove, I choose Gove any day.
I didn't think that he gave Boris a chance to answer anything properly, in fact I thought Boris was getting a little bit frustrated. Whether we like him or not he is entitled to put his views in a fair forum. It's quite obvious that the debate is being badly skewed towards the remain side and at the end of it the British people will not get a fair referendum

Reactions: tillson

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think Marr has shown his personal preference in his show. I personally found frustrating the way Boris took cheap shots at the Euro. So typical of tabloid journalism. Not my expectation of a future PM.

Reactions: timidtom and flecc

Advertisers