Help! LED lights

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
I have a KT-LCD8h( not the USB type) and want to install a light to run between the battery and the display. The battery is 84v when fully charged. What wires do i need to splice in order to get the power needed to power the module of 9leds (8-84v). I have the forementioned led and a on/off switch. Possiblely going to buy a 96v-12v converter for the step down to the 12volts need to power the module. In layman terms what colour wires go where please and in what order e.g from battery to item to item to item and then display. A diagram or simple instructions would be kindly regarded. P.S when i say splice i mean to wrap one wire around another and put insulating tape around the spliced area as i do not have a soldering iron.
Many thanks for reading all this and anybodies input
Andy.391483915039151

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
That doesn't really help. What's a module?
Just a hunch, but it like it’s a device for stepping down the voltage from 48-96 volts to 12 volts. I’m guessing they call it a module so it sounds more techie.

chicken madras before you ask.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
I only said a module as it contains 9 leds in it and i guess 12volts is 15watts

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
How would i connect it all on the line between battery and display please vfr400

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
A module is a set of standardized parts or independent units that can be used to construct a more complex structure

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I must admit that I don’t understand what you're trying to do, which is made worse by using vague names for things instead of saying what they are. Here's what I think I understand. You have a battery that goes up to 84v max. You have a light that runs off 84v max. You have a buck converter that steps down to 12v.

What do you plan to use the buck converter for, i.e. what are you going to connect to it? How much power will it use on the 84v side? Your photo doesn't show its size nor its power. Normally, one would connect such a device directly to the battery.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
My apoligies for being abit vague but as you can tell i dont know right much about electrics. Basically i want to connect the a light with the switch as shown earlier but dont know were or how.
So through your infinate knowledge you could perhaps enlighten me please. After having a look myself a prob dont need that dc dc thing.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
My apoligies for being abit vague but as you can tell i dont know right much about electrics. Basically i want to connect the a light with the switch as shown earlier but dont know were or how.
So through your infinate knowledge you could perhaps enlighten me please. After having a look myself a prob dont need that dc dc thing.
I just dont want to fry myself or the ebike when messing with wiring

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In the other thread, you said that you wanted to connect lights to the power wires that go to the LCD. That's possible. I did a rough calculation and recommended you use a 200ma fuse because i was expecting you to use lights of maybe 10w max.

Now you have two searchlights and a buck converter, but you haven't given any figures for how much power those lights are going to draw. A link to the listing might help rathe than pictures that show what type of plastic they're made of. With what I understand so far. I think it's not going to work because you will be trying to draw too much current from the thin wire, which will cause the voltage to drop and cause all sorts of weird problems with the LCD. How much voltage drop you get depends on how much current you take, which depends on the power of the LEDs.

If you connect this apparatus directly to the battery, you can take as much power as you want and it'll be safe for the other stuff, like the controller and LCD.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
In the other thread, you said that you wanted to connect lights to the power wires that go to the LCD. That's possible. I did a rough calculation and recommended you use a 200ma fuse because i was expecting you to use lights of maybe 10w max.

Now you have two searchlights and a buck converter, but you haven't given any figures for how much power those lights are going to draw. A link to the listing might help rathe than pictures that show what type of plastic they're made of. With what I understand so far. I think it's not going to work because you will be trying to draw too much current from the thin wire, which will cause the voltage to drop and cause all sorts of weird problems with the LCD. How much voltage drop you get depends on how much current you take, which depends on the power of the LEDs.

If you connect this apparatus directly to the battery, you can take as much power as you want and it'll be safe for the other stuff, like the controller and LCD.
Thank you for your time in all this vfr400, but after deep thought i prob just stick with a simple battery powered light.
Thanks again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The lights are 15watts each
That's 30w for both. If you run them through the buck converter, that could be 35w, which is much too much for the very thin LCD wire. I still don'understand why you don't want to connect to the battery, like anybody else would.

You could also run the lights off a separate rechargeable battery. 3o watts is about 1.33 amps at 24v, so 6Ah would last about 4 hours.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
That's 30w for both. If you run them through the buck converter, that could be 35w, which is much too much for the very thin LCD wire. I still don'understand why you don't want to connect to the battery, like anybody else would.

You could also run the lights off a separate rechargeable battery. 3o watts is about 1.33 amps at 24v, so 6Ah would last about 4 hours.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Sorry to trouble you again vfr400. Take a photo of the wires and colours between the battery pack and the LCD, which are Red, Black, Green, Blue and Yellow.
The next two photo are what go from the motor to the battery pack, same colour as the first photo and then three thick wires of Green, Blue and Yellow. Does that help identify were i can attach the fore mentioned light problem or i am just best leaving it alone and useing normal battery lights?.
Thanks again.

Attachments