Leisure v Utility

Just as a matter of interest...

Can any of you spare 30 seconds to share some information.

We're just having a small discussion in the office.

What % of your time on your eBike is for leisure purposes, and what % of the use is as a form of transport.

eg: 50% leisure / 50% transport.

We'd be interested in the results.......

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
50% leisure / 50% transport.
I rarely use the car, once or twice a month when I take the car to continental Europe. Even then, I take my bike with me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
About 90 per cent leisure.

Pure utility journeys are rare, but I might do a utility job, typically food shopping, on the way back from a ride.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
100%. Being a retired old gent, I have convinced myself returning knackered and sweaty is a leisurely activity.

Reactions: Geebee

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Mine varies a lot. currently I'd say 80% transport, but that can swing the other way at times.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
100% leisure.......same comment as Croxden !! :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
99.99% leisure. I've had an ebike for 3.5 years and only commuted by bike twice. Once by normal bike and once by ebike. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
80% commute rest leisure.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hmm, it depends how you define leisure. For example, what about riding to the pub for a pint? Or riding to the Rugby club with the boy in tow? I'd define those as Utility.

In reality, if guess I'm a 50/50 because I use my bike a lot for transport to and from my leisure activities.

Hmm, it depends how you define leisure. For example, what about riding to the pub for a pint? Or riding to the Rugby club with the boy in tow? I'd define those as Utility.
is the purpose of getting your bike out... to go for a ride.

if so, we're saying its leisure.

if the purpose is to get somewhere, its utility.

Does that sound like a reasonable definition for the purposes of this discussion?

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
80% leisure 20% utility at the moment but it will soon be my car replacement so this will change. Love it so far and telling everyone far and wide. Not one person has tried it and not smiled and loved it btw.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'm only guessing here but I think your getting bias answers.
There's a mixed bag of members but maybe the regular reader is a leisure orientated bike technology enthusiast who likes to keep a eye on things.

There's a lot of folks out there using there bikes as transport, they don't care about the latest gadget or gizmo so as long as there bike works they won't login regularly.
These people don't even know you've asked the question.
This is a board view and no way definitive :(