Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Cougar kills one mountain biker and injures another in Washington state
  • Mountain lion tracked and killed after attack in backwoods
  • Second biker called 911 and shouted: ‘Can you hear me? Help!’
Guardian staff and agencies

Sun 20 May 2018 03.04 BST First published on Sat 19 May 2018 23.33 BST

A cougar, or mountain lion. Photograph: Don Johnston/Getty Images/All Canada Photos
A mountain lion killed one mountain biker and mauled another in Washington state on Saturday when they rode into its territory. State officials later tracked the animal and shot it dead, police said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/19/cougar-kills-mountain-biker-injures-another-washington-state

Maybe not strictly ebike (didn't see any mention of "e"), but even in Wales we have had lynx known to be wandering around in the recent past.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Don't forget the coyotes and bears,
north bend is just up the road from my sisters place, she's never seen a cougar but bears are often spotted. When walking the dogs she carries a stick with bells on, apparently bears are not fond of bells and move away from them !
The coyotes on the other hand won't atack humans but a solitary coyote will goad a dog into chasing it only to be led into a trap to be killed by the pack.
Bobcats and coyotes will often take domestic pets and my sisters chickens get locked up every night for safety !

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster
D

Deleted member 22539

I was out on my bike today and I saw a cat about three streets up from mine. It didn't attack me though, but I sped off as fast as I could just in case.
Ginger one was it ?
You have to watch them they will have you
Glad your ok :)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Honza, the Azub marketing guy was bitten by a dog when he did the solar race to China on a trike. You really are at eye to eye height with big dogs when riding one... :( Maybe I'll build a dog food distributor with an emergency dog attack button on the bars to distract them? :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
probably that farmer who shot the dog was thinking that a personal injury claim was just around the corner..

btw is it a legal requirement to keep a dog on a lead in a public place nowadays?
I doubt he thought that since my complaint was more politely informative than in any way angry.

The law on dog control isn't one for all circumstances, but the rulings for N.I are on this link.

• Useful
Reactions: tommie

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Just got back from a off road ride at one moment i was surrounded by lions but i held my nerve gritted my teeth and carried on.We brits and our stiff upper lips.Mind you there was a little minx in a fiesta that gave me a look.Oh well safe and sound with a coffee and some hob knobs.

Reactions: 1 person

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lots of Peugeots on the road then? Got to watch out for the griffons too!

Reactions: oyster

Related Articles

Advertisers