LIDL bike gear

C

Cyclezee

LIDL will have bike gear in on 27th September:

LIDL

Wonder if the panniers are any good for day to day use?:)
I bought panniers from them last year, a different design , but good value for money.

I'm thinking about the workstand. Does anyone know if they are any good?

J:) hn

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I bought panniers from them last year, a different design , but good value for money.

I'm thinking about the workstand. Does anyone know if they are any good?

Sounds good. At £14.99 there's not much lost even if they don't last very long.:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Think I wil have one as well......Grisley Bears coming around to give me lessons (as long as he promises not to bite;))

I've had loads of cycling stuff from them and it has all been good

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
I used and liked from Lidl:

1. Side Pannier: Very spacious. Hooks a bit weak reinforced them myself.
2. Ponchos. Brilliant.
3. Gloves. Good.

I can only see the gloves on this offering.
I'll consider the pannier and the stand as well.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I got two tool kits recently (they were on sale in Ireland a couple of weeks ago) and they are very handy. Depending on the size of your tyre it can take a spare tube as well.

The hex keys and screwdrivers in the multitool are solid but the tool can get a bit loose ( a quick tighten with a hex key sorts this). One of the small wrenches fits the nut on my rear dérailleur which is handy. The wrenches also have two difference sized spoke wrenches (neither fit my spokes but a little filling soon sorted that out).

All in all a very neat toolkit.

John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The workstand looks excellent for the money but the clamp looks fiddly and won't be much fun trying to operate with one hand whilst holding a heavy bike in the other. It won't be a match for a park tools stand but it could easily be better than a £70 stand from Wiggle or eBay.
The top tube on the bike in the picture is quite thin by todays standards and you may well find you can only fit the seat post in the clamp. It's got nice touches like a magnetic tray and a handlebar stay, at £30 it's well worth a try.

The panniers are OK for occasional use but when I've had similar they don't wear well and are not waterproof, I wouldn't spend £15 on these but pay the extra for good roll top panniers.

The tool box is OK for a standard bike but most problems I've had on an ebike won't be fixed with these. I have a 20mm adjustable wrench, a multi tool with screwdrivers and a decent set of long hex keys, plus a puncture kit and most problems can be fixed at the roadside.

The foot pump looks good but my experience of Lidl pumps tells me it's almost useless. The gloves will be OK for slightly cold days but get too hot quickly when riding, in wet or freezing weather the gloves will be very inadequate. Spend money on Sealskinz instead.
The cycle computer is probably good but will probably reset itself on very cold days.

I started with most of my cycling gear from Lidl and Aldi and it's very good to get you going on a budget, I got through a very cold winter with it but as bits have worn out I've upgraded many and it was worth paying more for better kit. Most of my clothing still comes from the two shops, it's good for stuff you wear in layers or summer but the extreme weather protection is not so good especially as small items are not expensive in other places.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for the heads-up :)
I'll get the bike stand and I'll have a look at the panniers.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I will probably get the workstand, but just a bit concerned about it's strength and ease of use.

My first bike stand cost £70 off eBay, it broke during assembly, the jaws didn't open wide enough for the top tube (important when balancing a heavy bike), it didn't fold well and I couldn't adjust the height. I got my money back and paid £140 for a Park Tools home mechanic stand, the difference was amazing and the new stand is better than I imagined.
However the Lidl one looks up to the job and at a £100 cheaper I think I would have tried to live with the niggles, if you don't need one often then it's probably £30 well spent. I did find that I use the stand a lot more often than I expected, being easy to use lead to more use so I'm glad I splashed out a bit.
If you want something in between then Park Tools do a budget stand for £70 which IMO is better designed than the other £70 stands but doesn't pack away easily.

C

Cyclezee

As they appear to be such good value, maybe I should buy 2 :D and keep 1 for a spare or hold 1 bike with 2 stands;)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I bought the bike stand as planned (link below with actual photo):

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6862-lidl-workstands.html#post87071

I took a look at the rear rack luggage...probably ok for the price but not at all what I am after. Very large storage capacity, comes with rain covers.

I bought the 5 GBP cycle computer. The blue back light is handy, so are the temperature sensor and health statistics. It's surprisingly easy to configure and I quite like the display. The cheap hard plastic won't last forever, and I doubt this would survive rainy rides. Overall though, it's a nice addition to my Cycle Analyst, providing extra trip information.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
next Mondays sale has running gear.......some useful looking clothing for cyclists as well I think.:p

the scull cap looks useful to wear under a helmet for a start

C

Cyclezee

Yes, the pedals can be turned. A bike is supported far enough away from the vertical upright to allow this. It is good bit of kit.

You will be lucky if you can still find one, Lidl are probably sold out by now.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You will be lucky if you can still find one, Lidl are probably sold out by now.

I have 4 Lidl's nearby, furthest one 15-20 mins by bike...so always in with a chance. Aldi on the other hand is 30 mins away by car:(

During the summer read a fascinating obituary of one of the two German Aldi brothers.

Theo Albrecht - Telegraph

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
To those who "watch" this discussion thread: the LIDL cycling products are back (including the bike stand). Cheers, Daniel

I bought the bike stand as planned (link below with actual photo):

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6862-lidl-workstands.html#post87071

I took a look at the rear rack luggage...probably ok for the price but not at all what I am after. Very large storage capacity, comes with rain covers.

I bought the 5 GBP cycle computer. The blue back light is handy, so are the temperature sensor and health statistics. It's surprisingly easy to configure and I quite like the display. The cheap hard plastic won't last forever, and I doubt this would survive rainy rides. Overall though, it's a nice addition to my Cycle Analyst, providing extra trip information.