Lidl bike stuff

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Only now seen your posting.........I'll have to hot foot it (I won't be cycling if there is still snow on the ground) to Lidl in the morning to see what they have.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Mrs. Willin' kindly stopped by Lidl's on Thursday morning and purchased a new gel saddle, a footpump and a twinpack of inner tubes for me - all for under £18. Just tried out the footpump this morning and it is excellent - much easier and far less faffing about than a handpump or the tyre inflator that runs off my 12v socket in the car.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Some really good value stuff in Lidl .... missed out on the floor pumps unfortunately but a few bits in there :

There are £1.99 (the 2 parts clip together) :

.... or for £4.99 you get one of the above, some tube patches, 3 plastic tyre levers and a seatpost bag with quick-release clip and velcro tab for the seatpost :

Was doing really well till I succumbed to a 250W Parkside combination cutter for doing groove cutting, routing, cutting out circles etc. at £29.99 :eek: ... not to be trusted in Lidl with a debit card in the wallet !

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Could not resist either,
Tubes are a good buy just wish other sizes than 26in & 28in were available.
Handlebar grips may go on my Dahon boardwalk if they allow it to fold ok.
And I bought an open face motorbike helmet! too tight inside, too big outside (for a cyclist), maybe it will 'grow on me':) Just fed up wearing hat AND helmet in cold weather :-/
Its gonna end up in a cupboard, isn't it?
Cheers. Mike

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Its gonna end up in a cupboard, isn't it?
Cheers. Mike
Lol. They do take returns .... I tried the sports saddle at £7.99 thinking it would be good to fit one I didn't mind getting nicked - but felt like my man bits wouldn't last 5 minutes on it ! It's going back if I can get back up there ...

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I just snapped up the Lidl 48W soldering station - seems ok, so far. I'll put it through its paces more thoroughly this summer when I'll be using it more intensively. Handily, it takes 4mm threaded bits, which are easily made instead of buying them at stupid prices from the suppliers.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Those solder stations are brilliant Dave - far better than the Maplins 50W ones at twice the price, plus you get some solder and bits included so even better value. I've used it to do pretty much all my soldering so far and hasn't let me down.

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Mrs. Willin' kindly stopped by Lidl's on Thursday morning and purchased a new gel saddle, a footpump and a twinpack of inner tubes for me - all for under £18. Just tried out the footpump this morning and it is excellent - much easier and far less faffing about than a handpump or the tyre inflator that runs off my 12v socket in the car.
I purchased the cycle computer, wide gel saddle, a hand pump for my 11 yr old grandson (he is always borrowing mine lol), cycling gloves and tools as above, again for my grandson. Cycle computer seems to work ok, saddle not fitted yet to seat post because I am unable to unscrew the existing one to swap over, so no idea how comfy it will be.......existing gents velo plus that came with my bike is excrutiating, so surely cannot be any worse than this lol. Track pump looked ok, and a good price..........kicked myself, because I paid £40 a few weeks ago for a new one, as mine was past it.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
It's amazing how many cheap things can be comfortable, e.g. Chairs,
but saddles are a never ending pain in the proverbial posterior :) They don't need horns, but have them, but they do need to be wide enough, but never are! It's all these 'sports' figures promotion.
Wish I had seen those Solder station, I'll have another look, bit late now. :-(

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It's amazing how many cheap things can be comfortable, e.g. Chairs,
but saddles are a never ending pain in the proverbial posterior :) They don't need horns, but have them, but they do need to be wide enough, but never are! It's all these 'sports' figures promotion.
Wish I had seen those Solder station, I'll have another look, bit late now. :-(
Worth holding out for one of those solder stations if you can get them - mainly because anything comparable that's basically as good is so much more. Don't bother with the 30W fine soldering station ones - I got one and it's pretty rubbish, heat control isn't really reliable, need an extension cable to use mine as cable's too short and the thing which you put the iron into when not in use will drive you demented. These things matter if you do a lot of soldering at any stage.

The saddles are a challenge - fortunately I have a small backside so saddle width not such an issue but it brings its own issues on account of lack of natural padding in certain areas meaning I have to wear those lycra things with a nappy pad in under my shorts not to feel like that bone at the very top of your legs is being slowly tortured. The comfort saddle on my Kalkhoff is the only one I've ever had that's really comfy - but it's not positioned right for me as had to adjust it to fit one of those saddle bags with puncture repair kit etc under it ! You faff about trying to get things right but get to the stage in the end where it's easier just to have done with it, put up with what's not right and get pedalling ! :rolleyes: Life's too short :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The saddles are a challenge - fortunately I have a small backside so saddle width not such an issue but it brings its own issues on account of lack of natural padding in certain areas meaning I have to wear those lycra things with a nappy pad in under my shorts not to feel like that bone at the very top of your legs is being slowly tortured. The comfort saddle on my Kalkhoff is the only one I've ever had that's really comfy - but it's not positioned right for me as had to adjust it to fit one of those saddle bags with puncture repair kit etc under it ! You faff about trying to get things right but get to the stage in the end where it's easier just to have done with it, put up with what's not right and get pedalling ! :rolleyes: Life's too short :)
The thing is - the bit where your bum meets the saddle is your "Human interactive interface", innit?

It's pivotal, if you see what I mean, so really needs to be Zackly.

I find even a 5mm difference in seat height can vaguely lessen a long ride's enjoyment.