Lights for Bafang BBS01 250W 36V kit

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi,
Does anyone know how to connect lights (suitable for commuting) into a Bafang BBS01 250W 36V kit motor with 36V Panasonic Shark Pack 15AH PF battery. The standard C961 display that comes with the kit doesn’t appear to have a USB charging port or option to operate the lights, but there is an upgrade available to the DPC-18 display that does have a USB charging port. Would there be enough output from the DPC-18 display USB to power a decent LED headlight and tailight or would it be best to somehow connect to the main battery pack.
Thanks for any suggestions advice or feedback you may have

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Would there be enough output from the DPC-18 display USB to power a decent LED headlight and tailight or would it be best to somehow connect to the main battery pack.
Thanks for any suggestions advice or feedback you may have
No, display output only useful for slowly charging your phone,

why don't you use the battery pack that comes with most LED headlights?

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to charge your ebike battery, so why not have rechargeable lights and charge them at the same time? The lights with their own batteries are a hundred times better than any that plug into a USB.

You can use a DC/DC converter to run any lights from your main battery as long as you get one that can supply the power that the lights demand.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
You have to charge your ebike battery, so why not have rechargeable lights and charge them at the same time? The lights with their own batteries are a hundred times better than any that plug into a USB.

You can use a DC/DC converter to run any lights from your main battery as long as you get one that can supply the power that the lights demand.
Thanks d8veh
Providing I can get the converter, I suppose my next question is how do I connect it to the battery. Will there be a connection point or do I have to open the battery up. Excuse my ignorance as I only understand basic plug and play electrics

Last edited:

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
No, display output only useful for slowly charging your phone,

why don't you use the battery pack that comes with most LED headlights?
Thanks Tommie but if I have a primary battery for the motor for me it makes sense to run the lights from it. I have had seperate battery packs for lights on other bikes and would prefer not to have on my ebike given the choice

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I spliced an XT30 plug into the main battery wires from the controller. That requires a battery with a switch in order to turn the lights off, I run with the lights on 24/24.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo-t-for-e-bike-led-spotlight-503600

This light has a day/night detector (sensor on the back underside) and a strip of LEDs that are on all the time. Despite it saying it is a 6-42v light it works fine at up to 49.5v (tested day before yesterday) so it should work OK with a 48v battery. There is a 6v output for the taillight of your choice.

Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium E Front Light for E-Bikes - 1752Q42/6N comes with an on/off switch.

These lights are road legal and have a great beam shape which lights up the width of the road and which doesn't blind oncoming traffic. Extensively tested in the pitch black of the Basque Country back roads... :)

Reactions: E-Wheels
D

Deleted member 4366

The dc/dc converters have two terminals for in and two for out. The two out go to the lights. you need a switch on the battery side otherwise it will use a small amount of power all the time.

You have to splice into the two battery wires to connect it. Some batteries have a little compartment where the wires join that might have enough room for the converter, and you can solder the wires directly to where the battery wires are soldered.

This one will probably be OK. The problem is to find one that can deal with 42v . Most are around 30v to 35v. If you hunt through all the listings, you can find one that does higher than this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-LM2596S-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Module-L1P5/282655528143?epid=2100060258&hash=item41cf9514cf:g:odEAAOSwZapZvH8T

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks anotherkiwi and d8veh for your help and suggestions
Much appreciated
Now that I know I can fit lights I will shop around for the drive unit, converter and lights
Once I start the build which I’m really looking forward to, no doubt I will be back to ask more questions
From what I can see on YouTube fitting the BBS01 kit looks like something I can hopefully manage in a weekend

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
If you haven't bought a kit yet you can get a 250W marked BBS02 which has light plugs ready to plug into...

https://em3ev.com/shop/bafang-36v-250-500w-bbs02-kit/
Thanks anotherkiwi,
This is the kit I was looking at
http://luna-mate.com/bafang-bbs01-250w-36v-kit/
How can you tell if the controller has plugs for the lights
They also have the BBS02 kit but again don’t know how you can tell if it has light plugs http://luna-mate.com/bafang-bbs02-500w-36v-kit/
Any thoughts

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ask them, the more recent version has them IIRC.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I purchased 2 x bbs01 kits & a spare
Controller last year from aliexpress - all came with gear sensor wires & 6v light wiring

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
They are 6v ok..... but only 500mA
Good point

And also, in my experience, BBS controllers are not particularly fault tolerant. The lleast devices (especially cheapo stuff) plugged into the controller, the better

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
I have a set of these on my bike, I can’t understand how they can sell them so cheap, they come with a battery pack made up of 4 18650 batteries, even cheapo ones would be around a tenner for 4, (I pay around £5 each for the Samsung ones in my vape) these have had to be made into a battery pack, and come with a charger, and a twin Cree led light, for £10.83 including post :confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5000-Lumen-2x-CREE-XML-U2-LED-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Light-MR/183039185204?hash=item2a9dfc5134:g:g2oAAOSw9tJabDYb

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have a set of these on my bike, I can’t understand how they can sell them so cheap, they come with a battery pack made up of 4 18650 batteries, even cheapo ones would be around a tenner for 4, (I pay around £5 each for the Samsung ones in my vape) these have had to be made into a battery pack, and come with a charger, and a twin Cree led light, for £10.83 including post :confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5000-Lumen-2x-CREE-XML-U2-LED-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Light-MR/183039185204?hash=item2a9dfc5134:g:g2oAAOSw9tJabDYb
there fake 18650s cells and the out put is no where near what it says lm wise thus why they are so cheap.

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
I must admit I haven’t used them long enough to see how long they last, I did notice though that they charged up too quickly, they’re fricken bright though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 4366

Those battery packs that they give you with the lights might be crappy, but they do the job. I have a pack that's still going strong after 4 years. Whatever the capacity and cells, you get about an hour on full beam and maybe 3 hours on the second dim setting, which is still light enough to see the road when there's no street lights.

I've fixed a couple for friends. One had a wire come off the BMS thing and the other had water in it.