lightweight folding e-Bike (to carry on flights of stairs)

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Hi all,

I have been doing several searches across the forum before posting, but I do apologise if the question has been treated already.

I am in the process of purchasing a folding e-bike for a short commute (5 miles) across London that has to match some strict criteria.

Budget is £1200 max using a £1000 cyclescheme.co.uk voucher.

I have been commuting by bike with no problem as I am still young and relatively fit.

However I would need something that would facilitate my commute in order to not arrive sweaty and having to always take a quick shower/change clothes before work.

I do live in a block of flats and although we have a bike shed, there have been reports of youngsters trespassing in the night and some have been stolen. Therefore I would like a folding frame that I can keep in my hallway.

I am 5"9 and I am 11 stones.

The criteria are the followings:

1) My building does not have a lift and I live on the 3rd floor. This means 3 flights of stairs where I have to carry the bike down and then up on a daily basis.

I do need something that is light that is not going to kill my joints, therefore between the 15kg/19kg maximum.

2) I need to cover a small distance (5 miles) but I am in a process of changing my job and would like to keep the possibility of commuting longer distances open (up to 15 miles). Or to diminish the time spent on the tube by commuting partially on bike and partially on tube/train if necessary.

Therefore I am not really interested in the speed and the roads are overall flats (I live in zone 2 quite central in London) so I don't need excessive power.

After consulting several threads here, I have come to conclusion that the models that would suit my needs are:

1) Woosh Gallego: 18kg with battery, enough power and distance, and extremely compact for storing. Only unsure about the 16" wheels for longer distances.

2) Kudo K16: the lightest with 15 kgs. Also the cheaptest. Also here 16" wheels.

3) Kudo Secret: 19kg (on the limit). 20" and potentially better and more stable for longer commute.

4) A2B Kuo2+: 19.8kg the heaviest but with the same pros of the Kudo.

The last issue is that I would need to use a cyclescheme.co.uk voucher or a 0% finance plan, and it seems that none of the above offer this plan.
The only available is the Raleigh Stow-E 2 2019 but it is as heavy as the A2B Kuo2+ with less battery power (6.8ah)

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
UPDATE: I can actually buy both Kudos with Cyclescheme through a retailer who has both in stock

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Unfortunately the Raleigh is around 20kg so too much to be lifted and carried for three flights of stairs.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can you rent a bike box from the council?

this is a shared bike shed:

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Can you rent a bike box from the council?

this is a shared bike shed:

We have our private bike shed in our building but some bikes have been stolen in the past so I don't trust leaving an expensive bike there. I got my btwin (129£) from Decathlon there.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
The
Hi Floorfilla,
The Raleigh Stow-e-way could be a consideration - it's a really well made lightweight folder with 20" wheels and one of the best hill climbers at this price/weight. Usually weight is reduced at the price of performance but this is an exception.
Another nice option is the EMU: https://www.emubikes.com/shop/bikes/emu-folding-electric-bike-in-black-with-battery-2018-model
The EMU seems great. Is it available through cyclescheme? It's 16kg including battery?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is no easy way to make a good, comfortable folding electric bike that you can carry 3 flights of stairs unless you are built like a weight lifter. Firstly, you can't carry it folded, it's like carrying a 1m cube, you can't see in front of you.
If you carry it unfolded, you need a built in handle or a small, 16" wheeled bike. The problem is, the smaller the bike, the less comfortable to ride.
Also, if you have gears, then it should be hub gears. The normal derailleur is too close to the ground and exposed to damages. Spokes on small wheeled bikes are also shorter and more prone to breaking.
I can make a 14kg folding bike with 20" wheels but only with a tiny 6AH battery in the seat post.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
there is no easy way to make a good, comfortable folding electric bike that you can carry 3 flights of stairs unless you are built like a weight lifter. Firstly, you can't carry it folded, it's like carrying a 1m cube, you can't see in front of you.
If you carry it unfolded, you need a built in handle or a small, 16" wheeled bike. The problem is, the smaller the bike, the less comfortable to ride.
Also, if you have gears, then it should be hub gears. The normal derailleur is too close to the ground and exposed to damages. Spokes on small wheeled bikes are also shorter and more prone to breaking.
I can make a 14kg folding bike with 20" wheels but only with a tiny 6AH battery in the seat post.
I went to cycling shop and tried carry a 16 kg Brompton unfolded.

I think the weight is okay.

Yes, it's not gonna be the nicest lift but I believe it's doable.

So I need to stay around that range (15-16kg) or get a bike that gets to the range once the battery is removed (<19kg).

I am 31 and relatively fit, so I don't need to have the most comfortable ride, but I do want a bike I could rely on for the next 2 years.

I just struggle to understand, due to lack of experience, how much would affect my commute negatively a 16" against a 20".

I think I may be leaning towards the Kudos Secret (20") that could guarantee a comfortable, has a handle on its frame to carry it and I can remove the battery before going up the stairs.

bobby-gg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2018
I'm an avid cyclist but recently my brother picked up a cheap 2nd hand electric folded, I loved it so much I bought myself a 2nd hand folder than I used to convert my tern duo into an front hub electric

Which is great, but then I managed to grab this on ebay 2 months ago

A woosh Gallego, and I love it

I think it takes its design inspiration from the Brompton with the way it folds at the back, complete with little travel wheels, and then just makes it a little better with its concealed battery in the frame and front hub motor.

I absolutely love it, its fast, handles well for a small wheeled bike, great brakes, easily removed battery and think it would fit your circumstances quite well.

Rob

Reactions: Woosh

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Which is great, but then I managed to grab this on ebay 2 months ago

A woosh Gallego, and I love it

I think it takes its design inspiration from the Brompton with the way it folds at the back, complete with little travel wheels, and then just makes it a little better with its concealed battery in the frame and front hub motor.

I absolutely love it, its fast, handles well for a small wheeled bike, great brakes, easily removed battery and think it would fit your circumstances quite well.

Rob
How does the gallego feel on trip longer than 5 miles?

bobby-gg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2018
How does the gallego feel on trip longer than 5 miles?
I've never done 5 miles, probably more like 3 mile loops, but handled it fine and really comfortable.

Mind you, I'm 6 foot and had to extend the seatpost to get comfortable but that's it. The three speed nexus hub has a nice spread of ratios for the slight but long inclines that I have around here.

It's just a pity I'm at the opposite end of the country from you for to try it and compare it against the Brompton.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
The only issue is that the Gallego is 18kg despite of its 16" wheels.

The Kudos K16 is less than 15kgs (including battery) and the Kudos Secret with its 20" wheels is 19kg (just a kg more than the gallego for the same price).

I think I may pick one of the Kudos, it's just really hard to decide and compare wheels size and range against weight and portability..

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
View attachment 26872 View attachment 26871 It’s not the weight that makes some folding bikes hard to carry. It’s the clumsiness of the folded width that makes it difficult. I chose the Kwikfold Xite-3. It’s not light at 20+kgs but just look at how small and narrow i can get it in a few seconds. Check out my very long review post in the Reviews Section.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/kwikfold-xite-3.31766/page-2
I tend go agree regarding the clumsiness. However, above 20kgs the weight does make a different when you have to carry it for several flights.

The Kudos K16, besides it's light weight, has the handle on the frame which would (I hope) make it easy to lift unfolded.

Attachments

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I tend go agree regarding the clumsiness. However, above 20kgs the weight does make a different when you have to carry it for several flights.
Yes, i agree. I wouldn’t be able to carry the Kwikfold up stairs. But it does wheel in small spaces when folded. Such as onto a train or into a lift. And it’s got a rear wheel Bafang motor and disc brakes

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Yes, i agree. I wouldn’t be able to carry the Kwikfold up stairs. But it does wheel in small spaces when folded. Such as onto a train or into a lift. And it’s got a rear wheel Bafang motor and disc brakes
Unfortunately since I do not have a lift in my building I have to cross all these options around 20kgs (Kwikfold, Volt Metro, Raleigh) off the list and go for a superlight weight.

The choice was ultimately between Woosh Gallego and K16 but the Gallego it's not sold via c cyclescheme.