Linear brakes

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi all help needed again,
This ebike is my first bike since childhood days, now 68. The brakes are driving me insane, the arms very rarely move together both sets the bikes 6 month old both do it, had back to dealer sorted then back to same as before, don’t remember brakes being this bad 50 years ago, have watched vids how to adjust but still the same. Rant over. All take care

Wrighty

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2020
Hi all help needed again,
This ebike is my first bike since childhood days, now 68. The brakes are driving me insane, the arms very rarely move together both sets the bikes 6 month old both do it, had back to dealer sorted then back to same as before, don’t remember brakes being this bad 50 years ago, have watched vids how to adjust but still the same. Rant over. All take care
Most have gone to disk hydraulic brakes that just work, kits from China for £26, you have to screw in the adjusters to make the levers move together.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's always a problem. Here's what I do:

Unclip the cable, like you do when you take the wheel off. Unscrew a whole arm from the fork using the hex screw at the bottom. Don't touch the brake block fixing. You'll see that it has a spring that engages with one of three holes next to the boss. Normally, they're in the middle hole. The idea is to move it to the next hole that angles the arm further outwards. In other words, when the arm is pulled back into its normal position, there will be more tension on the spring. Before reassembling, put some grease on the boss. Do the same to the other side, then reassemble everything. One side will still be fixed to the cable. If the cable length doesn't allow you to get the spring in the next hole, remove the cable from the brake lever to get more length.

When everything is assembled, use the each of the spring tension adjusting screws at the bottom of the arm to get them to move evenly.

It's very important that the cable doesn't get caught on anything in that area, like the light.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Excellent, thanks for your help, if I can ask lastly should there be much arm movement towards securing bolt if that makes sense

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean that you can rock the arm back and forth in the fore and aft direction, that's normal.