lipo range?

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I have now managed to get out and about a bit on my recumbent trike and although I really enjoy it one thing I find very disappointing is the range. I managed 19kms before the battery gave up. It is a 260w 25.9v 10Ah LiPo and the company suggests a range of 50kms although this is for flat conditions. The company has stated that the range I am getting is reasonable because of the trike but given I only climbed 300 m tops (probably nearer 200) does this seem reasonable? I do weigh 100kg but I am putting input in at all times.

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Recumbent Bike with 250 W Bionx 9.6 Amp Hour 24 volt

I have now managed to get out and about a bit on my recumbent trike and although I really enjoy it one thing I find very disappointing is the range. I managed 19kms before the battery gave up. It is a 260w 25.9v 10Ah LiPo and the company suggests a range of 50kms although this is for flat conditions. The company has stated that the range I am getting is reasonable because of the trike but given I only climbed 300 m tops (probably nearer 200) does this seem reasonable? I do weigh 100kg but I am putting input in at all times.
On my 22kg V2 Formula recumbent bike, I use up about 2/7 of the total battery charge as measured by the battery gauge that when full shows seven bars when I climb up the one mile long hill where I gain 457 feet, about 141 meters. That means that if I climbed the hill twice I would use up 4/7 of the charge. My bike weighs 22 kg and I way 78 kg, so that is 100 kg for me and my bike. I use my Bionx hub on its lowest assist level. If I raise that level up to the second level, I think I use up three of the seven bars. This is with a 9.6 amp hour battery and a 250Watt motor. I pedal all the way. I never use the thumb throttle and I climb at 4 to 5 mph on the steep hill.

You and your trike weigh 25% to 30% more than I and my bike do. You are also climbing 1.5 to 2 times more than I am. Your system may cut off at a different state of charge than mine. You may also be getting more assist from your motor than I do from mine. Given the numbers, I don't think the battery performance you are getting is far off the mark.

Hope that helps,
John