Lithium battery recycling

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's all rather depressing
Yes I am getting a tad cynical in old age, my council is still yet to provide me with details on how to claim my £150 council tax rebate & every time I ring em the "systems" down :rolleyes: It feels like they are trying flob me off.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes I am getting a tad cynical in old age, my council is still yet to provide me with details on how to claim my £150 council tax rebate & every time I ring em the "systems" down :rolleyes: It feels like they are trying flob me off.
The easy way is to just let then take it off your council tax bill, but since i'd alreadyt paid mine in full, I couldn't use that option.

So I too went for payment, but found my entirely valid council account being rejected online with nonsense about wrong password etc. Clearly they are struggling. So I opened a second council account which was accepted, entered my claim and was paid the £150 into my bank account just three days later.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If pay council tax by DD then they should have automatically credited it your bank account.
My council did it quickly soon after the govm't anounced it.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017 and flecc

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
alreadyt paid mine in full,
Yep I too pay in full using a debit card, but I literally had no communication from the council, no letter, read the FAQs, 3 online help request forms, an email to CS responded with an auto-email telling me to read the FAQs, then a phone call that couldn't be logged to a phone call today that was logged and I was told someone would ring me back but to avail by the end of day. However I did get the feeling during the logged call she was just filling out the online help request form for meo_O I am a little concerned because the online portal that allows you to input your bank details closes at the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am a little concerned because the online portal that allows you to input your bank details closes at the end of the month.
They have to pay it so will have to keep the portal open or an alternative. No doubt you won't be the only one in this position.

All over the country councils are struggling with the extra burdens and lack of money, many like mine have declared bankruptcy and are living on grants from the government, currently £80 millions here.

• Informative

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
strange thing is the bank tells you not to give your details to anyone - its to catch them out that have more than one bank ... as if big brother dont know

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
& they do sell power packs with 18650s in for their power tool range, did you drop AA[etc] or 18650s? I assume the later.
AAs.

One might need to delve into the exact detail of what is defined as a 'portable' battery.

I found this;

And a portable battery appears to be defined as;

Lead acid batteries
- Sit and ride toys
Alkaline/Zinc carbon batteries
- Clocks
- Torches
- Toys
Primary (single-use) Lithium batteries
- As an alternative to Alkaline
Secondary (rechargeable) Lithium Ion batteries
- Mobile phones
- Laptops
- Power tools
Nickel cadmium batteries
- As a rechargeable alternative to power tools
Nickel metal hydride batteries
- As a rechargeable alternative to power tools
Silver oxidebatteries
- Button cells used in watches or hearing aids
Mercury oxide batteries
- Button cells used in watches or hearing aids
Zinc air batteries/Air depolarised batteries
- Hearing aids
- Clocks

So if the 18650s in a power tool battery are 'Portable' one might assume that they do indeed accept them for recycling.

• Agree

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
When the time comes, I'll take my battery pack apart and try Aldi. They might object to receiving too many cells at once. Until then, I've got a couple of dead 18650s and a few 14500 cells to give them.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
every cheque
I ordered a cheque book and crashed the the banks computer in branch.

Turns out my council had tried sending my rebate to an 12 year old, out of date bank account I used for DD many a moon ago. Still haven't got it yet but gave them my details.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Oooh just watched this, caught one quick vid the other day introducing this tesla battery, in this vid he outlines a reclaim method that blew my mind. Something about placing the whole battery unit/enclosure in liquid nitrogen freezing to near absolute zero then crushing it and floating each part off to reclaim the elements. o_O :oops:

Tesla battery

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Something about placing the whole battery unit/enclosure in liquid nitrogen freezing to near absolute zero then crushing it and floating each part off to reclaim the elements.
There are already laws obliging all manufacturers to recycle their products but not to reveal how they do it. There ought to be for transparency.
BTW I think it is probably unnecessary to use liquid nitrogen and cause more pollution when you can crush and shred much bigger items such as whole cars.

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
pollution
Tbf I never even considered the environmental impact, I was more in awe of the method, I really don't think any modern processes to reclaim or extract are truly focused with minimising pollution more over it'll be the bottom line that really counts.