Locking Security Skewers

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I'm looking to buy some locking security skewers to replace my quick release skewers, so i don't have a to carry around a cable to secure the wheels when locking up the bike. It is not left in a particularly crime ridden location (works bicycle rack), so I think skewers that require a speciality key would a good deterrent for casual theft.

I've noticed some that don't need a key but are locked when the bike is in an upright position, i like the idea of not having another key but i have read that turning a bike upside down when they have hydraulic disc brakes is not good for them? otherwise that would be my preferred solution.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I had some Pitlock skewers, but ditched them, as I'm not very good at keeping tabs on keys. I replaced them with some that used a hex key instead. I always carry one of those around with me and although not as secure, it was a more secure solution than nothing.

Reactions: Julie

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
  • Informative
Reactions: Julie

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I had some Pitlock skewers, but ditched them, as I'm not very good at keeping tabs on keys. I replaced them with some that used a hex key instead. I always carry one of those around with me and although not as secure, it was a more secure solution than nothing.
Thanks, i would like something a little more secure than just a hex key, but that would be better than just a quick release. Other than the hassle of carrying another key, how did you find the Pitlock skewers?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
A bit fiddly, TBH. On a cold, wet, dark evening I wouldn't want to be fussing around with them if I got a puncture.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015