London's finest think no motor load speed = road speed

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"A pedal cycle is exactly that. If you don’t need to cycle..."

Looks like a kit - aren't throttles on kit conversions legal? 43mph isn't, obvs. I took mine off, just in case.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Interesting. They didn't mentioned prosecution, and PS10 is public safety.

The wheel doesn't look or sound like it's going 43 mph. If the rider had been smart, they should have adjusted the speed sensor setting so that it showed 15.5 mph at full throttle, but I'm not sure whether that would have helped if he was clearly going very fast without pedalling, which sounds like is what drew their attention.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I guess if the motor assist speed was limited to 15.5mph that would cut in when the indicated speed reached 15.5 mph, regardless of load

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
My guess is they set the wheel size on the LCD to 20 inch and set the cut out speed to a high value, so the bike would max out at around 20 mph on the road, with the no load speed around 25, but reported as higher. As you say, there's no way that wheel is doing anywhere near 40 mph and that motor looks far too small to ever be able to drive the bike & rider at such a high speed. Plus, if the rider was doing 40, there's no way the police rider could have caught him.

Probably couldn't be bothered to do the person for vehicle offences, easier to get a conviction for other things the rider has been accused of.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I guess if the motor assist speed was limited to 15.5mph that would cut in when the indicated speed reached 15.5 mph, regardless of load
I think you're misundersatnding. Say there are 6 speed sensor magnets in the motor. You set it to two in the LCD settings, so that it shows 1/3 of the actual speed on the LCD. It looked like the owner of the bike got something wrong in the settings and set it to read double the actual speed.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
that motor looks far too small to ever be able to drive the bike & rider at such a high speed.
Are those two batteries on the bike 36V and are they in series = 72V? They appear to be connected to the same bag. This bloke did the same sort of thing (I had nothing to do with this video), but can also switch them to parallel. No Schottky. The high amp rated switches were from an old army radio.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: robert44

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Are those two batteries on the bike 36V and are they in series = 72V? They appear to be connected to the same bag. This bloke did the same sort of thing (I had nothing to do with this video), but can also switch them to parallel. No Schottky. The high amp rated switches were from an old army radio.

no the controller would melt at that voltage and that motor is tiny so prob 250w but if set to max with two batts that size be lucky to hit 20mph.

its no dragster and range was the idea to use those 2 batts for max range yet again pc plod shows there thick as $hit and now prob cant get to work.

no one gives a crap about the just eat riders camped out in Gloucester center out side mc Donald's and even kfc is coming back now :oops:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

Could have put them in series, with a controller for 72V, but even then, max speed would only be about 33 mph for a standard wind motor. Maybe if they had put a 20 inch motor in a 700c wheel it would go a bit quicker...but looking at that wheel, it's not spinning fast enough.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Could have put them in series, with a controller for 72V, but even then, max speed would only be about 33 mph for a standard wind motor. Maybe if they had put a 20 inch motor in a 700c wheel it would go a bit quicker...but looking at that wheel, it's not spinning fast enough.
A standard motor is 260 rpm, so at 72v it would be 520 rpm, which is 39 mph in a 26" wheel. With two charged up 36v batteries in series 43 mph would be about right.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
A standard motor is 260 rpm, so at 72v it would be 520 rpm, which is 39 mph in a 26" wheel. With two charged up 36v batteries in series 43 mph would be about right.
Yes, for no load speed. I didn't make it clear which one I was talking about. However, I think we're agreed that the wheel in the video isn't going that fast.