Long bikes (2bikes joined together) where?

Snailer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2020
Hi,
I was browsing a while back and came across this whacky thread about making long bikes where the rear of one bike is attached to the main bike by putting the crank shaft of the rear part into the slots for the back wheel of the front bike, making a long bike.
What are these called?
I'd really like to pursue this. Is it possible to bolt them together at the top as I only have a mig welder and my two frames are ally.
Any links , photos, wisdom, etc gratefully received!
Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,
I was browsing a while back and came across this whacky thread about making long bikes where the rear of one bike is attached to the main bike by putting the crank shaft of the rear part into the slots for the back wheel of the front bike, making a long bike.
What are these called?
I'd really like to pursue this. Is it possible to bolt them together at the top as I only have a mig welder and my two frames are ally.
Any links , photos, wisdom, etc gratefully received!
Thanks
This might be the reason you need for the Alu version of the welding handle, which holds the spool in the handle. I have never tried one myself, but I was tempted some time ago, and managed to do the job in Stainless steel instead, which won't help you, sadly!
I did find this for about 50 UK pounds:-
I know that its in German, but I expect you can work it out, but if you need assistance, just ask.
Best wishes.
Andy

Reactions: Snailer

Snailer

Aug 1, 2020
I think I was originally looking for pictures of a sociable tandem that i rode once at a rally.
It was home made but the two riders sat beside each other -each had handlebars and pedals and one brake but there was a third frame which had the 2 wheels in between
I couldn't figure out how to make the axle from each set of pedals go through to the central wheel.
I can't remember if each had a free wheel or if it was fixed hub.
It was fun!

This is the spirit of the long bike i think too

PS
I found a link to a sociable tandem!

and here

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy-Mat

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Something an artist friend knocked up in his workshop scrapheap challenge style

Built from car and bicycle parts. The bonnet is only for storage as power comes from the two sets of pedals. The first journey was to the "end of the land" -Spurn Point, the tip of land sticking out into the Mouth of the River Humber and effectively the end of Holderness , the land between Hull and the sea.

Other journies included one from Hull to London in an attempt to find 'success'. I didn't.

The soundtrack for the film came from a record player in the trunk of the car. The record playing is F.Chopin - Dziela Wszystkie- complete works.

The pedal car was built in 1990 when Dobrowolski was still a student and is one of a series of vehicles made by the artist to escape from art college. These futile anti-art gestures have subsequently become actions synonymous with the artist’s love-hate relationship with the art world in general.

Reactions: jimriley

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Bicycles by Design at Telford (well coalport) had a motorised 3 seater (in line) outside last time i was there. Of course they can/do build them from tubing, so no problem, just a tandem plus. The motor was in the front crank iirc, but i didn't see the make.

Reactions: Snailer

Snailer

Aug 1, 2020
Something an artist friend knocked up in his workshop scrapheap challenge style

Built from car and bicycle parts. The bonnet is only for storage as power comes from the two sets of pedals. The first journey was to the "end of the land" -Spurn Point, the tip of land sticking out into the Mouth of the River Humber and effectively the end of Holderness , the land between Hull and the sea.

Other journies included one from Hull to London in an attempt to find 'success'. I didn't.

The soundtrack for the film came from a record player in the trunk of the car. The record playing is F.Chopin - Dziela Wszystkie- complete works.

The pedal car was built in 1990 when Dobrowolski was still a student and is one of a series of vehicles made by the artist to escape from art college. These futile anti-art gestures have subsequently become actions synonymous with the artist’s love-hate relationship with the art world in general.

That's awesome - I love it!

Snailer

Aug 1, 2020
This might be the reason you need for the Alu version of the welding handle, which holds the spool in the handle. I have never tried one myself, but I was tempted some time ago, and managed to do the job in Stainless steel instead, which won't help you, sadly!
I did find this for about 50 UK pounds:-
I know that its in German, but I expect you can work it out, but if you need assistance, just ask.
Best wishes.
Andy
That looks great - thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I think I was originally looking for pictures of a sociable tandem that i rode once at a rally.
It was home made but the two riders sat beside each other -each had handlebars and pedals and one brake but there was a third frame which had the 2 wheels in between
I couldn't figure out how to make the axle from each set of pedals go through to the central wheel.
I can't remember if each had a free wheel or if it was fixed hub.
It was fun!

This is the spirit of the long bike i think too

PS
I found a link to a sociable tandem!

and here
I see a problem if one wants to go left, and the other right!:mad:
Optically, it appears that the pedals are fixed to each other, so that gears could also be added with little or no problems I feel...
regards
Andy