Long commute question

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
How do you know? Anyway, the argument about second hand smoke was never clear.
So perfume could be bad.
I'm sure it depends on the perfume, but some are definitely significant irritants to me, and I'd be surprised if they weren't longer term damaging as well. Luckily they are much less prevalent than smoke was in the bad old days.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I do not dare go into a shop if my wife is looking at perfume. They make inside of my nose very sore. In fact I do not dare use any kind of aftershave. Had dreadful trouble several years ago with soreness, then I discovered one of those electric air fresheners in the bedroom. Got rid of that and slowly began to get better.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
How do you know? Anyway, the argument about second hand smoke was never clear.
So perfume could be bad.
This is very clear. NICE 2010:
11.10 Summary
Passive smoking is a significant cause of death and disability in children as
well as adults, and of smoking uptake among children and young people.

However, with an open mind, here's something on perfume too:
I can't see the word 'death' in there. Unpleasant for some, potentially debilitating for a few, but not on the same scale as passive smoking.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This is very clear. NICE 2010:
11.10 Summary
Passive smoking is a significant cause of death and disability in children as
well as adults, and of smoking uptake among children and young people.

However, with an open mind, here's something on perfume too:
I can't see the word 'death' in there. Unpleasant for some, potentially debilitating for a few, but not on the same scale as passive smoking.
Well, not being a smoker I am not bothered either way, except to say that I never found any problem with second hand smoke but I do with perfume.
Why do you want to defend perfume wearers and deny me my right to clean air?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Perfume doesn't normally kill. That's the difference.
But it would make a fine scenario for a Bond villain.
Hasn't it already been done on that silly "killing Eve" series? Also wasn't the Novichok used in Salisbury in a perfume bottle, leading to that poor innocent woman getting poisoned?

I imagine if nut essence can send people into anaphylactic shock, it's possible some perfume components could...but compared to second hand cigarette smoke, the odds of serious harm are much lower.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
If there is some truth to it, compress beehive air into a handy inhaler? If it does work, the pharmaceutical industry will isolate the effective molecules after altering them slightly (so they still work), like they do with any natural substance which has any sort of marketable beneficial effect - like they did to get aspirin, which they based on salicylic acid from Willow bark. Big pharma routinely send out teams to hunt out new potentially useful substances in jungles and oceans, to test, patent and sell for profit. If enough people find that beehive air relieves asthma symptoms, they'll look into it.
So, double blind trial needed of beehive air vs placebo, to prove there is a significant effect at all, followed by putting the bee hive air into a GC-MS to figure out what's in it, then further trials to try and find the active ingredient(s) and whether the beneficial agent operates independently, or has a synergistic effect in combination with other compounds at particular concentrations...

Then the single ingredient/combination of ingredients at the correct concentrations must be synthesised and hopefully it/they are stable molecules that have a long enough shelf life to make a viable product...

So probably a weekend's work for any decent pharma lab... ;)

D

Deleted member 33385

So, double blind trial needed of beehive air vs placebo, to prove there is a significant effect at all, followed by putting the bee hive air into a GC-MS to figure out what's in it, then further trials to try and find the active ingredient(s) and whether the beneficial agent operates independently, or has a synergistic effect in combination with other compounds at particular concentrations...

Then the single ingredient/combination of ingredients at the correct concentrations must be synthesised and hopefully it/they are stable molecules that have a long enough shelf life to make a viable product...

So probably a weekend's work for any decent pharma lab... ;)

GC-MS? Looks like you know your particulars about chemiculars WheezyRider! Are you a modern alchemist, or in one of the science trades? (Don't admit if you're a Doc, you'll never get a moment's peace from near-hypochondriacs like me!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I'm sure it depends on the perfume, but some are definitely significant irritants to me, and I'd be surprised if they weren't longer term damaging as well. Luckily they are much less prevalent than smoke was in the bad old days.

Women smell great without it (with obvious provisos). From a safety standpoint, Sperm Whale excretion in some perfumes, is likely the least objectionable ingredient:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Where I work part time at the weekend there's a guy in his 50's that stinks of perfume /aftershave, god knows what he must be like without it.

• :D

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
I hate the way UK Duty Free shops are arranged these days, and the stench of mixed perfumes is horrendous. There's no avoiding them if you want to get to the gates. It must be awful for the people who work(ed) in those places.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
As a long distance cyclist, do you have any tips for avoiding foot cramps? I get horrible cramping feet after about 20 miles. It's probably my lack of fitness and plantar fasciitis:

...it started when I went out for a jog in the snow.
[/QUOTE]

Having suffered plantar for over a year now, i can recommend a night splint, finally i have relief!!

i bought this one...

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
GC-MS? Looks like you know your particulars about chemiculars WheezyRider! Are you a modern alchemist, or in one of the science trades? (Don't admit if you're a Doc, you'll never get a moment's peace from near-hypochondriacs like me!)

Have dabbled with the things in the past. I'm not an MD though, so don't come asking me about peculiar rashes - for a friend :D

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
As a long distance cyclist, do you have any tips for avoiding foot cramps? I get horrible cramping feet after about 20 miles. It's probably my lack of fitness and plantar fasciitis:

Having suffered plantar for over a year now, i can recommend a night splint, finally i have relief!!

i bought this one...
[/QUOTE]

I had something like that a while back. I think it's good to make sure you have decent, shock absorbing shoes for walking about generally. Also, do some strengthening exercises and stretches for your feet and ankles, to keep the tendons in good condition and to strengthen the muscles. Make sure your cycling fit is correct for the bike and your footwear is not putting your foot under unusual strain and stop and do some stretching exercises now and then on long rides to avoid cramps etc.

D

Deleted member 33385

i bought this one...
[/QUOTE]

Cor, that's a result! I'll buy that! I've had it since 2012 - my GP referred me to someone, who gave me a stretchy sock type affair which is supposed to do the same thing but doesn't, because it slips off while sleeping. Then a physio used an ultrasonic shock machine to break up inflammation, which didn't. Two entire years on max dose Ibuprofen didn't help either. Too little walking and it gets worse, too much causes damage and makes it worse. I was offered steroid injections and/or surgery, but at that point I decided I'd soldier on and hope it went away. Tendons have poor blood supplies and rely on osmosis, rather than direct veins (poor design if you ask me, and a closed system too like Bosche), which is why it takes so long for them to heal. My GP told me that my calf tendons had shortened, he didn't specify why that might have happened. I believe that my foot positioning on the pedals (midfoot) is helping break up inflammation. I have noticed that cycling does leave me with a stretched nerve feeling running though my calf for a day or so afterwards, so it must be getting stretched. I'll get that night splint, and give them a good long slow night stretching! Thank you!

Reactions: gsm.terra
D

Deleted member 33385

Where I work part time at the weekend there's a guy in his 50's that stinks of perfume /aftershave, god knows what he must be like without it.

Guys smell disgusting, maybe that's why ladies are obsessed with the deployment of such military grade olfactory assault strategies. We should count ourselves lucky they don't use Cadbury's Novichoc on us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

i bought this one...

I had something like that a while back. I think it's good to make sure you have decent, shock absorbing shoes for walking about generally. Also, do some strengthening exercises and stretches for your feet and ankles, to keep the tendons in good condition and to strengthen the muscles. Make sure your cycling fit is correct for the bike and your footwear is not putting your foot under unusual strain and stop and do some stretching exercises now and then on long rides to avoid cramps etc.
[/QUOTE]

I used to walk zillions of miles. Edinburgh to London twice for charity, maybe my calves lengthened then, and have gone into shock and shortened since. 'Twas a long time ago. I shouldn't have gone out running cold, without stretching, in the snow.

When it gets really bad, I stop and walk the bike - such a weird feeling, the middle of the soles of my feet at that stage of cramping, feel like I'm standing on flattened out tennis balls, bloody painful bunched up squashed tennis balls. After walking the bike and attempting to stretch those tightly bunched tendons out a little, and trying to get some blood moving through them, I hop back on till I can't cycle again, etc. Thankfully, it only happens after about 20 miles. Will stretch more. Cheers Doc! Now about that peculiar rash, that my friend has...

Last edited: