Long commute question

D

Deleted member 33385

I hate the way UK Duty Free shops are arranged these days, and the stench of mixed perfumes is horrendous. There's no avoiding them if you want to get to the gates. It must be awful for the people who work(ed) in those places.

I find it's not the initial smell of perfumes which smells the most odious, it's the reek of the stuff in perfume which disperses last, and builds up to linger in any confined space where people have profusely and regularly wafted it (or splashed aftershave) over themselves - whatever that bunch of chemicals is. Maybe it's the Sperm Whale excretion. You end up pumping in even more smells, to defeat it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Have dabbled with the things in the past. I'm not an MD though

Aha! More of a Dr.Moreau:? He lost his medical license, not technically a Doc:

Talking of making immortal humans (if they haven't been made already in some lab somewhere in the world), or gigantic cubed cows without brains which can comfortably inhabit large warehouses - this:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Having suffered plantar for over a year now, i can recommend a night splint, finally i have relief!!

i bought this one...

I had something like that a while back. I think it's good to make sure you have decent, shock absorbing shoes for walking about generally. Also, do some strengthening exercises and stretches for your feet and ankles, to keep the tendons in good condition and to strengthen the muscles. Make sure your cycling fit is correct for the bike and your footwear is not putting your foot under unusual strain and stop and do some stretching exercises now and then on long rides to avoid cramps etc.
[/QUOTE]

I've also ordered some 100% RDA Magnesium supplements, which might reduce general muscle cramping. I seem to get them all over the place these days.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Guys smell disgusting, maybe that's why ladies are obsessed with the deployment of such military grade olfactory assault strategies. We should count ourselves lucky they don't use Cadbury's Novichoc on us.
The ones who don't take personnel hygiene seriously do, we have some drivers at work who stink of BO often they just don't wash enough and use scent to try and overpower there lack of hygeine.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I had a catflap in my house, so my cat could come and go as he wanted. I was working, so no idea what he got up to during the day. When I got home from work he was always keen to see me because it was feeding time, so I would pick him up and stroke him while carrying him to the kitchen. One day, I came home and picked him up to find that he stank of perfume. This went on for weeks, then stopped as suddenly as it started. He must have got a girlfriend of some type.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh
D

Deleted member 33385

I had a catflap in my house, so my cat could come and go as he wanted. I was working, so no idea what he got up to during the day. When I got home from work he was always keen to see me because it was feeding time, so I would pick him up and stroke him while carrying him to the kitchen. One day, I came home and picked him up to find that he stank of perfume. This went on for weeks, then stopped as suddenly as it started. He must have got a girlfriend of some type.

Cats are shameless flirts. My cats used to wander into all my neighbour's houses and they all fed them, then they returned home to be fed some more. Scoundrels. I'm lucky they never got kidnapped... catnapped?

D

Deleted member 33385

The ones who don't take personnel hygiene seriously do, we have some drivers at work who stink of BO often they just don't wash enough and use scent to try and overpower there lack of hygeine.

I read somwhere that the Viet Cong could sniff out US soldiers because lactose in their diet made them stinky. The Vietnamese are mostly lactose intolerant, so it was a distinct odour. Of course what I read could be completely wrong... Vegans do seem to stink less, except when they are farting because of all the beans they consume. Or maybe Vegans are clean freaks who wash more often?

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
I had something like that a while back. I think it's good to make sure you have decent, shock absorbing shoes for walking about generally. Also, do some strengthening exercises and stretches for your feet and ankles, to keep the tendons in good condition and to strengthen the muscles. Make sure your cycling fit is correct for the bike and your footwear is not putting your foot under unusual strain and stop and do some stretching exercises now and then on long rides to avoid cramps etc.

I've also ordered some 100% RDA Magnesium supplements, which might reduce general muscle cramping. I seem to get them all over the place these days.
[/QUOTE]
when i go back to being a chef i'll be on my feet again, and no mistake :p

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
100% RDA eh?
Must be potent stuff. I'm sure those people who set the figures know exactly what they're doing and that they have our best interests at heart.

But cynicism aside, it wouldn't surprise me if you took something like triple, or maybe even 10x more than the RDA, you might get a decent effect.
Depends on the type of magnesium of course. Lots of variants out there. Some seem a lot more effective than others.

D

Deleted member 33385

100% RDA eh?
Must be potent stuff. I'm sure those people who set the figures know exactly what they're doing and that they have our best interests at heart.

But cynicism aside, it wouldn't surprise me if you took something like triple, or maybe even 10x more than the RDA, you might get a decent effect.
Depends on the type of magnesium of course. Lots of variants out there. Some seem a lot more effective than others.

I'll try the 100% RDA Magnesium and if it reduces the bloody awful and unexpected muscle cramps in random muscles, I'll stick with that and see how it goes. Too much Magnesium is very bad for you:

D

Deleted member 33385

[/QUOTE]

Chefs do have it very tough: hard floors and on your feet virtually all of the time, small movements. For years and years.

• Agree

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

Chefs do have it very tough: hard floors and on your feet virtually all of the time, small movements. For years and years.
[/QUOTE]

If you are on your feet a lot on hard floors, it's important to have good cushioning on the soles of your shoes.

I used to wear shoes with thin soles, which led to me getting a lot of pain from my feet. This eventually went away once I started wearing shoes with better support and cushioning.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh

If you are on your feet a lot on hard floors, it's important to have good cushioning on the soles of your shoes.

I used to wear shoes with thin soles, which led to me getting a lot of pain from my feet. This eventually went away once I started wearing shoes with better support and cushioning.
[/QUOTE]

before redundancy i was supplied with orthopaedic shoes. make a huge difference.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

before redundancy i was supplied with orthopaedic shoes. make a huge difference.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... orthopaedic shoes.... I'll look out for those! Was your restaurant hit hard by the lockdowns? What sort of chef are you? Restaurants have all been hammered, but not as hard as pubs of course. Delivery pizza joints are still doing great, because they're mostly takeway anyway and it's the go to comfort food. Chinese and Ruby Murry sellers seem to be surviving, purely because their takeaway component has been encouraged to grow. I got sick of paying through the nose for pizza, so eventually managed to make my own pizza sourdough using kefir as a raising and fermenting agent, then worked out how to get insane temperatures out of my oven using bricks and cast iron skillets to cook them - they taste awesome. I also bought this amazing book for my usually expensive curry fix:

...it isn't so much about recipes, more general principles of what makes various cooking methods work and how you can use that knowledge to take an algorithmic approach to cooking delicious food of any type. Bloody good read! Haven't tried out the methods yet...

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
What a lot of people don't realise is that modern washing at low temperatures does not remove body odours from clothes. This is particularly important for those of us who ride and arrive at work in a bit of a sweat. So every so often, clothes should be washed at higher temperatures. Every 10 washes, my t-shirts etc go in the machine for a 60 Deg wash.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Every 10 washes, my t-shirts etc go in the machine for a 60 Deg wash.
Hmmm. How does that work with technical sports clothing that tends to have a 30 degree recommended limit?

Not that I've tried it - but what would happen? does it shrink? do you remove some coatings or such?? does any colour run ???

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Hmmm. How does that work with technical sports clothing that tends to have a 30 degree recommended limit?

Not that I've tried it - but what would happen? does it shrink? do you remove some coatings or such?? does any colour run ???

Hmm not sure on that one...the "technical limit" of my clothing only goes as far as cotton t-shirts and jeans :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally if one doesn't want the armpit area to retain sweat then wash every time after use, the yellowing of clothing armpits indicates dried in sweat once this occurs it will soon smell again once body warmth softens it.

D

Deleted member 33385

Biological powders with enzymes do a better job at lower temperatures, but some people react badly to it - especially if it's underwear :(

D

Deleted member 33385

Generally if one doesn't want the armpit area to retain sweat then wash every time after use, the yellowing of clothing armpits indicates dried in sweat once this occurs it will soon smell again once body warmth softens it.

It's the accumulation of rotting dead flaked human skin and the bacteria feeding and growing on it which causes much of the odour. Anyone (like me) who has volunteered (or shopped) at a charity shop knows that smell well, and they reactivate that material by steaming it. Yuk.